Fat GUI and problem with full screen and windows adding
Posted by: secret man
Date: July 12, 2014 08:08AM

Hello, please tell me how i can change this Fat default gui(TOOLBAR) to gui similar which is in Chrome browser. And there is problem with full screen, in full screen mode when i go mouse cousor to top toolbar does not display, this is burdensome, in browsers like Chrome, this problem not occur. And there uncomfortable adding of windows option, in Chrome THIS + (windows add option) is near last window, in k-meleon this option is in CONSTANT place. PLEASE HELP

Re: Fat GUI and problem with full screen and windows adding
Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 12, 2014 12:42PM

secret man,
Chrome and K-Meleon are different browsers with different architecture and their own pros and contras.
Do not expect KM to be a Chrome clone.

The main advantage of KM is lower consumption of system resources used in work.

But you have many options to change GUI:
1) using different skins,
2) switching every single toolbar on/off (View->Toolbars->'check/uncheck any toolbar present there')
3) setting any toolbar up by tweaking config files

That's not as easy as Chrome allows but there is much more power here, when you learn how to handle this.

The learning curve is the price you pay for 'lightness' on K-Meleon comparing to Chrome.

Sorry, but using current GUI type you cannot attach 'New Tab'-button to the last tab being open.

But you are welcome to open new tabs simply by double-clicking on the free tabbar space to the right of last tab.

Moreover, feel free to set up your own hotkeys (keyboard and mouse accelerators) for any operation instead default ones, including tab and window management.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 12:43PM by rodocop.

Date: July 14, 2014 04:45AM

i still dont know how delate this top bar..... please give me fast and simply option to delate this bar. And i think that this top bar is absolutely unnecessary, in fresh browser this should not be. And how to fix this toolbar in fullscreen??? all these options are general impossible in k-meleon? if yes, what browser for old laptop from 2003 you recommend? the most important for me are pages speed loading, multimedia performance (flash, etc), and generaly performance.

Date: July 14, 2014 04:46AM

and why my email is available for all? please delate it

Date: July 14, 2014 04:48AM

chrome have very bad performance in flash on old laptops(i checked chrome on two laptops, one with win xp second win 8.1 ram dual core cpu)

Date: July 14, 2014 11:05AM

A. Toolbars.

GoTo View->Toolbars - check or uncheck any bar you don't need (well, K-Meleon 'whole toolbar' is build from many named 'pieces' (that are single toolbars in terms of K-Meleon).
Switch all unneeded ones off. Enjoy it!

B. FullScreen

Press F2. Preferences window will open.

Choose GUI Appearance->Full Screen. Switch what you need on/off there:

C. System load.

Yes, one of the main advantages of K-Meleon is small system requirements.
So, don't expect it's being like Chrome in terms of user experience.

Some unique learning curve is you price for lightness of K-Meleon browser comparing with all other modern browsers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 11:16AM by rodocop.

Date: July 14, 2014 07:19PM

thx, there is possible to set automatic full screen mode on browser start? in full screen mode i can set GUI to look like Chrome GUI(by delating this top useless bar) but then REALLY full screen mode(without windows bar etc) is not available. And i think that this useless bar even can slow down the browser. And full screen mode still dont support show/hide bar when coursor is on top bar is show ....

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 14, 2014 08:29PM

Full screen mode on browser start can be achieved by using EDIT - PREFERENCES - GUI APPEARANCE - AT STARTUP. Select "Always" under Full Screen. If you don't have menu bar then F2 will get you to preferences.

What information do you wish to show by moving cursor to top? I don't use Chrome so I have no idea what happens there.

Date: July 14, 2014 09:55PM

My fullscreen works fine filling really FULL screen (hides windows toolbar too).

Only tabbar appears if I open new tab (by hotkey Ctrl+T) in this mode.

Please, provide some screenshots to understand your problem.

The easiest way to share screenshots is open Snaggy in browser, 
make screenshot by pressing PrintScreen keyboard button 
(or Alt+PrintScreen if only active window needed) 
then switch to Snaggy webpage and Paste there (Ctrl+V).

Snaggy will upload image and give you its link to share.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 09:59PM by rodocop.

Date: July 16, 2014 07:03AM

In Chrome when we move coursor to top then full bar(with adress bar etc, this bar is in normal mode) will show, so we can type any website in adrees bar, add or delate windows, back or move, etc... In k-meleon in full screen mode is delated any bar, bar not showing up, we only can use keys shortcuts to change site, add windows, etc. And adblock in k-meleon does not work well, install adblock and go to xhamster, youtube, and you will see this problem, simply adblock block not only blocks ads but images of normal videos also. And i have many problems with Html 5, i cant watch videos in html5, and what i remember is that k meleon have problems with some sites, look https://www.google.pl/trends/, http://zapytaj.onet.pl/ .

Date: July 16, 2014 07:04AM

i do not have print screen key

Date: July 16, 2014 10:32AM

secret man
i do not have print screen key

It MUST be present. Look for 'PrtSc' or something like this abbreviation (laptops do have small keys, so they need to use short labels).

Or you can use any freeware screenshooter for windows. I recommend 4sharedShot. It allows make shots, edit them and upload to your 4shared account for web sharing - all in one!

secret man
In Chrome when we move coursor to top then full bar(with adress bar etc, this bar is in normal mode) will show, so we can type any website in adrees bar, add or delate windows, back or move, etc... In k-meleon in full screen mode is delated any bar, bar not showing up, we only can use keys shortcuts to change site, add windows, etc.

I've told you already that K-Meleon isn't Chrome and cannot behave the same way.
But it seems you haven't read or try what I've proposed earlier:
Go to View -> Toolbars and uncheck all bars, what you do not need.
As I understand, all what you need is Menu and Address bar. Uncheck all but these 2.
Then go to Preferences -> GUI Appearance -> Full Screen (shown in screenshot posted by me eearlier) and uncheck box 'Hide toolbars (and menu bar too)'.

Well - you got it! (as much as possible) Now in full screen you'll have menu and address bar.

secret man
And adblock in k-meleon does not work well, install adblock and go to xhamster, youtube, and you will see this problem, simply adblock block not only blocks ads but images of normal videos also.

That isn't AdBlock effect. May be this is Flashblock used by K-Meleon.
Go to Tools -> Privacy and uncheck item 'Block Flash'.
If it doesn't help, then you can add item to the exceptions list of AdBlock through its own preferences (I think you are using old K-Meleon with old AdBlock).

secret man
And i have many problems with Html 5, i cant watch videos in html5, and what i remember is that k meleon have problems with some sites, look https://www.google.pl/trends/, http://zapytaj.onet.pl/

This means that you are using old version of K-Meleon. KM 1.5.4 or 1.6beta or even 1.7 may be incompatible (or partly compatible) with modern web technologies.

Give a try to new K-Meleon 74 (link is in my signature). I have no problem there on your sites using new version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 10:35AM by rodocop.

Date: July 16, 2014 01:34PM

I have a set of accel keys which will change the menu/toolbar from hide to show in fullscreen. I don't use mouse gestures myself, but I think one could attach the macro in this kmm file to a gesture.

fullscnmenu.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- fullscnmenu.kmm
# ---------- Toggle between menu show and menu noshow in fullscreen
#
# Dependencies        : main.kmm
# Resources           : fullscreen plugin  
# Preferences         : "kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.hide_rebar"
# Version             : 1.0  2014-07-16  		
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fullscnmenu_toggle {
togglepref(BOOL, "kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.hide_rebar");
plugin(fullscreen); plugin(fullscreen);
}

_fullscnmenu_SetAccels {
	setaccel( "CTRL SHIFT M", "macros(fullscnmenu_toggle)" );
}

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
$OnInit=$OnInit."_fullscnmenu_SetAccels;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."fullscnmenu;";

Date: July 16, 2014 06:50PM

James,
I've made kmm-file from your code and put in Extensions subforum for secret man and other unexperienced users.

secret man,
this is thread for you - there you'll find the attached file and simple instruction for adding it to your k-meleon.

Date: July 16, 2014 07:10PM

Rodocop

Thanks, you are much better at explaining things to users than I am.

Date: July 16, 2014 10:45PM

And you're perfect in creating that Things!
Thank you for your work!

Date: July 17, 2014 08:55AM

Thx guys, but neither your help pleases me. This plugin by James is this is not what I expected, in Chrome bar is showing automatically in full screen mode. In no full screen mode still this no useful bar is present. And i checked earlier these options in GUI preferences. And what i remember i had problems with new k meleon (program is not responding etc) , so i installed stable... THX

Date: July 17, 2014 10:05AM

We are not magicians grinning smiley
Everyone should feel free to choose his tool. But no one tool is perfect for everyone.

KM has widest possibilities to set it up and tweak, but not endless ones.
Enjoy Chrome or use KM in the way it could be used winking smiley

Posted by: secretman
Date: July 20, 2014 04:12PM

Check Wyzo browser, this browser is probably fastest browser which i tested on presario x1000, but this browser have bugs for example some times back to page is not working. There are results from adobe flash benchmark http://www.snailsanimation.com/benchmark08_play.php for some browsers

wyzo:

1: 7932

2: 8165

cometbird 6392

kmeleon beta 8146

internet explorer 8

1: 8194
2: 8182

kmeleon stable 5293

firefox (newest probably) 5296

Chrome (newest beta): infinity, but Chrome have very bad performance for all

I have many problems with gmail on some browsers:

kmeleon beta have very bad performance

kmeleon stable have very good performance

Wyzo have very bad performance

Chrome have very bad

Firefox newst have very bad

On gmail i have some mesaages even with 100 responses in one message, not all browsers can well handle it on old laptop, results are above.

Date: July 20, 2014 04:14PM

kmeleon beta is K-Meleon 74 Beta 4

Date: July 20, 2014 06:14PM

secretman
I have many problems with gmail on some browsers:

Gmail has two different GUIs - standard (modern) and simple (light, for old browsers). Modern GUI eats lots of RAM and CPU.

So, the old stable K-Meleon automatically is switched to light interface, that isn't so automated and script-rich like modern one.

That's why stable KM performs good there.

But you can switch your GUI any time (Gmail has corresponding option) and enjoy speed and good performance under any (!) browser.

Date: July 20, 2014 07:36PM

ok, when i set basic html as default for gmail then all is ok, go here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1ky5xh0dlhwh1/?zy=h&f=1 and on above click set html basic as default

Date: July 20, 2014 09:51PM

I know tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 20, 2014 10:14PM

secretman
Check Wyzo browser, this browser is probably fastest browser which i tested on presario x1000, but this browser have bugs for example some times back to page is not working.

snip...

Wyzo have very bad performance

Chrome have very bad

Firefox newst have very bad

Wizo 3 has the build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100520 FireDownload/2.0.1 Firefox/3.6.4 Wyzo/3.6.4.1 FireTorrent/2.0.1

That means Wizo is the contemporary of K-Meleon 1.7.

K-Meleon 1.6 and 1.7 had very good/fast results on benchmarks on machines with limited resources.

Far better than any other browsers of that time. So has Wizo.

These browsers have GRE/JS-Engines that are not supported by all pages anymore.

The newer browsers hog resources and are slower on machines with limited resources. You can however change settings so that they are not so resource hungry. Switch of some improvements that have come since then.grinning smiley

Greetings to .pl and .ru from de.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 10:17PM by guenter.

Date: July 20, 2014 11:15PM

Hi there, .de! grinning smiley

Date: July 20, 2014 11:20PM

guenter
The newer browsers hog resources and are slower on machines with limited resources.

That's why next Twin will contain KM 1.6 too. 74 will replace 1.7

Date: July 21, 2014 01:24PM

Here is photo with everything marked that bother me in GUI http://postimg.cc/image/b8esnzjpx/ . ps: lines are not super-accurate. And I greet you all too smiling smiley

Date: July 21, 2014 02:27PM

these videos show things that bother me in k meleon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lUd78kDEwQ - double click on belt to add new window, but when you double click on this new window on belt then this window will be closed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQR6jvpr3n4 - double click to add new window is not good with close window cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytRpq6vozA - some times i have this problem(may 1-4 times in one day)

AND WHEN I MAKED THIS POST, ABOUT THREE TIMES WINDOW WITH THIS POST WAS CLOSED! SO I MUST WRITTEN THIS ABOUT THREE TIMES.... ALL PROBALY BY THESE PROBLEMS WHICH ARE SHOW ABOVE

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 21, 2014 02:29PM

secretman
Here is photo with everything marked that bother me in GUI http://postimg.cc/image/b8esnzjpx/ . ps: lines are not super-accurate. And I greet you all too smiling smiley

If I understand You mean the fields surrounded by red line.

What I made blue must stay, Windows controls that all Programms have.

It can be only altered when the skin code is changed. This has been done in the past for at least one CCF version.

Means: it cannot be changed by the user.

What I made green corresponds to the tab bar with the tab close etc. button which You have below the main controls. You see that I swittched off the tab buttons, made that the tab bar can be dragged to new locations (I placed it next to my privacy bar) and swittched on the cross where a tab can be closed.

Means: it can be changed freely by the user.

F2 -> Tabbed Browsing: Dislpay Tab Bar as toolbar. After that You can drag switch off etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 02:44PM by guenter.

Attachments: change.gif (11.9 KB)  
Date: July 21, 2014 02:29PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytRpq6vozA - THIS PROBLEM IS REALLY OFFTEN, AGAIN I HAD THIS....

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.