How to assign a letter/alias to a serarch engine?
Posted by: Rain
Date: July 31, 2014 09:23AM

I tried looking in the FAQ but couldn't find anything about this.

How can i search from the adress bar directly by using google with no alias key assigned?

And how do i create an alias for other sites/search engines?

Ex

W for Wikipedia
Y for Youtube
B for Bing

...and so on.

Re: How to assign a letter/alias to a serarch engine?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 31, 2014 02:38PM

For make a search when you type at the URL bar:

Edit menu > Preference > Browsing in the left panel > Finding websites > URL tab > the checkmark at the bottom.

To assign a key/word alias to a bookmark, open bookmarks and do so in the properties of a bookmark entry.

Date: July 31, 2014 05:08PM

JohnHell

Edit menu > Preference > Browsing in the left panel > Finding websites > URL tab > the checkmark at the bottom.

That only enables me to search via the adress bar partially. For example i have to type "google" in the adress bar to get to google instead of just typing a word in the adress bar and instantly googling that word (by having google as default search engine when searching via the adress bar)

JohnHell
To assign a key/word alias to a bookmark, open bookmarks and do so in the properties of a bookmark entry.

That's nice but i don't need to to assign any keys to bookmarks but keys to search engines.

For example if i asign the letter "b" to Bing, and go to the adress bar and type for example "b cat" i would instantly get all the "cat" results from searching the word via bing.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 31, 2014 05:17PM

You can use bookmarks. See the default google search bookmark, set the nick as 'g', and you can use "g mysearch" in the url bar.

Date: July 31, 2014 06:48PM

Rain
JohnHell

That only enables me to search via the adress bar partially. For example i have to type "google" in the adress bar to get to google instead of just typing a word in the adress bar and instantly googling that word (by having google as default search engine when searching via the adress bar)

Mmmmm, I don't use the feature, but worked for me.

I typed asdf and searched with the default duckduckgo.

What I couldn't see is the way to change the deafult search engine, but as I'm not used to the feature, must be somewhere tongue sticking out smiley

Maybe others can say, but, anyway, worked.

Date: August 01, 2014 07:11AM

No matter what i mark/check in Browsing>Finding Websites it does NOT remained checked, even after a KM restart.

Witch is odd since i'm always running my computer with Administrator Rights (XP Pro SP3 x86)

This is what i want and can't seeem to get to work. It has been debated in the past as well. I find myself in the same position as melo, the option at the bottom of Finding Websites is missing from the latest version of K-Meleon (K-Meleon 74 Beta 4 / 1.5.4) so i can't enable the option.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,104888

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 01, 2014 11:24AM

My checkmarks seem to remain even through a restart of KM. I suggest that you try HELP - TROUBLESHOOTING - CHECK PRIVILEGE just to be sure of your writing rights to your profile.

Date: August 01, 2014 11:48AM

JamesD
My checkmarks seem to remain even through a restart of KM. I suggest that you try HELP - TROUBLESHOOTING - CHECK PRIVILEGE just to be sure of your writing rights to your profile.

Did that at your recommandation, a terminal box appeared briefly and then disapeared. Restared KM, checked All 4 boxes available in F2>Browsing>Finding Websites, after KM restart they were unchecked...

Perhaps it's a bug?

Date: August 01, 2014 03:29PM

Did you get a message box saying "KM profile privilege checked successfully"?

The terminal box is just KM calling the ops sys to erase a temporary file.

EDIT:
Just checked KM 74 Beta 4 with all three of Dorian's updates, and checked boxes remain just as I had them even after a KM restart. Which KM version and update level are you running? I am on Win 7 and you are on Win XP. I wonder if that could cause a difference?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 03:48PM by JamesD.

Date: August 01, 2014 05:31PM

JamesD
Did you get a message box saying "KM profile privilege checked successfully"?

Idk, the terminal showed and disapeared in a split second i didn't have time to read anything.

JamesD
Which KM version and update level are you running?

K-Meleon 74 Beta 4 / 1.5.4 (but i have enabled don't keep history/clean on exit feature in preferences tough i don't think it should affect KMs settings.

BTW

When i installed KM i cliecked the "store settings within K-Meleon" option. Does that have anything to do with it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 05:31PM by Rain.

Date: August 01, 2014 06:03PM

Idk, the terminal showed and disapeared in a split second i didn't have time to read anything.

That is not what I would expect. You should either get a message box indicating success or a new window containing a warning.

K-Meleon 74 Beta 4 / 1.5.4 (but i have enabled don't keep history/clean on exit feature in preferences tough i don't think it should affect KMs settings.

I am concerned whether we are posting about the same level of KM. Please open the following address in a new tab and report your user agent string.

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

My user agent string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 K-Meleon/74.0

When i installed KM i cliecked the "store settings within K-Meleon" option. Does that have anything to do with it?

Whether that is making a difference is what I am trying to find out by using the troubleshooting macro. Some early versions of troubleshooting had a bug.

I do not think that not keeping history would have an effect on this problem.

Date: August 01, 2014 07:19PM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0

Detailed Info

Mozilla/5.0

Mozilla version 5.0 Originally indicated the Netscape web browser, now a generic term which most modern browsers use

Windows NT 5.1

Windows NT version 5.1 Windows XP

rv:24.0

rv:24.0

Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0

Gecko version 20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0

Date: August 01, 2014 08:03PM

Well, we are both on KM 74. Do you know to which level you have done the updates? The size and date of k-meleon.exe should indicate this level.

Update 1   k-meleon.exe  7/08/2014  2,058 KB
Update 2   k-meleon.exe  7/25/2014  2,097 KB
Update 3   k-meleon.exe  7/27/2014  2,102 KB
Update 4   k-meleon.exe  7/31/2014  2,102 KB

Do checks in boxes on other pages stay or revert when you restart?

Can you tell where is the location of this "clear on exit" box that you noted before.

Date: August 02, 2014 07:08AM

JamesD
Do you know to which level you have done the updates? The size and date of k-meleon.exe should indicate this level.

What exactly do you mean with at "which level i have done the updates" ? Are you talking about conficuration/customiziation settings?

Size 2.01 MB (2,108,928 bytes) / Size on Disk 2.01 MB (2,109,440 bytes)

JamesD
Do checks in boxes on other pages stay or revert when you restart?

They seem to work fine on other pages/tabs, Only Finding Websites/URL Bar seem to give me this issue.

JamesD
Can you tell where is the location of this "clear on exit" box that you noted before.

I was refearing to F2 > Browsing > History >

Remember user’s browsing history and

Keep a list of...

There were enabled when i installed K-Meleon, but i disabled them for security reasons.

BTW

I did got the "KM Profile privilege checked succesfully!" messege just not in the terminal.

-------------------

This isn't that big of a deal James, i can still search via CTRL+G witch is alot better then keep on going to googles homepage everytime, i just need to find a way to replae DuckDuckGo with Google.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 11:23AM by Rain.

Date: August 02, 2014 12:49PM

Rain
What exactly do you mean with at "which level i have done the updates" ? Are you talking about conficuration/customiziation settings?

Size 2.01 MB (2,108,928 bytes) / Size on Disk 2.01 MB (2,109,440 bytes)

That tells me that you are using Beta 4 without any of its four updates. I will install an extra copy on my machine in order to test at your level.

I do not think that not keeping URL bar history has anything to do with this problem, but I will set up my test version that way to check.

If you want to change your default to Google, the I think these steps will do that.

TOOLS - WEB SEARCH click on "Use as default engine" to remove check.
Highlight some word on your current page.
TOOLS - WEB SEARCH click on Google to make it search for word.
TOOLS - WEB SEARCH the check should be by Google so click again on "Use as default engine" to make Google the default.

Date: August 02, 2014 01:57PM

JamesD
That tells me that you are using Beta 4 without any of its four updates. I will install an extra copy on my machine in order to test at your level.

What other updates? O.o

JamesD
If you want to change your default to Google, the I think these steps will do that.

TOOLS - WEB SEARCH click on "Use as default engine" to remove check.
Highlight some word on your current page.
TOOLS - WEB SEARCH click on Google to make it search for word.
TOOLS - WEB SEARCH the check should be by Google so click again on "Use as default engine" to make Google the default.

It Worked! But still in Browsing>Finding Websites; the URL Bar is broken, will not save my settins.

Mabe a few screenshots will help?

Posted by: kksbisht
Date: August 02, 2014 03:18PM

But, where on earth is this "Use as default engine" on Web Search tab. As can be seen from the second figure, which shows the image of Web Search tab, the "Use as default engine" is absent. Now, where and how to find it or make it appear?

Date: August 02, 2014 03:29PM

Rain

I found the problem with disappearing checks in boxes. You are on the original KM 74 Beta 4. You need to do the updates. Your problem exists in the original code, but was fixed in the updates.

1:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127809,128100#msg-128100

2:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127809,128326#msg-128326

3:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127809,128371#msg-128371

4:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127809,128432#msg-128432

Note that your pictures are from Preferences. My instructions were for the menu item TOOLS. If you have it working, that is fine.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 02, 2014 06:45PM

I wonder why you can't set the default search engine in the preference panel.
Btw you can search google with duckduckgo if you type !g before your search

Date: August 02, 2014 07:30PM

James, if it weren't for your patience and wilingness to help i still would't be able to use 100% of KM features. Thanks a bunch!

As for the search engine thing, i was able to rectify it with your above instructions, thanks for that too.

After 20min of carefully extracting and overwritting every file in KM (after making a backup copy that is)

My previous problems have been resolved. Checkboxes remain checked now.

However the updates did spawn a minor "inconvenience"

This is how i've configured my Top toolbar to look like:

But at every exit, the toolbar position reverts itself to default.

It's not a big deal, it's just that over the years i've gotten used to having my webpage navigation buttons in the the top left and the address bar in the middle.

Date: August 02, 2014 09:59PM

Rain
However the updates did spawn a minor "inconvenience"

This is how i've configured my Top toolbar to look like:

But at every exit, the toolbar position reverts itself to default.

It's not a big deal, it's just that over the years i've gotten used to having my webpage navigation buttons in the the top left and the address bar in the middle.

Have a look to View>Toolbars>Lock toolbars. Uncheck it to move your toolbars at your whish. Lock the toolbars again, if you like it.

Date: August 03, 2014 06:49AM

JohnHell
Have a look to View>Toolbars>Lock toolbars. Uncheck it to move your toolbars at your whish. Lock the toolbars again, if you like it.

Doesn't work. It resets itself on exit even after i check "Lock Toolbars"

EDIT

Toolbar arangement works even without having to check "Lock Toolbars" but only with the Klassic and AuroraAlpha (Compact) skins. It does not save position either way when using AuroraAlpha and AuroraAlpha (Large).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 07:03AM by Rain.

Date: August 03, 2014 11:40AM

I wonder if it could be connected to the fact that Klassic skin does not have a skin.js file and AuraAlpha(Large) does have one?

Maybe you could test this way. Rename the skin.js in AuraAlpha(Large) to skin.xx and the try the AuraAlpha(Large) skin. You may have to unlock toolbars and position them. The close KM and restart.

Nope, I tried that with no change to layout. It still reverts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 12:27PM by JamesD.

Date: August 03, 2014 01:33PM

It was saving toolbar position before the updates (at least with AuroraAlpha).

I had a backup made of K-Meleon 74 Beta 4 / 1.5.4 (clean with no updates) and copied back the old AuroraAlpha and AuroraAlpha (Large) skin files, but it still does not save position when using those particular skins.

Date: August 03, 2014 02:17PM

I'm not having such issue with beta 4 update 4.

The skin.js file, if Dorian doesn't correct me, is to be placed in "K-meleon\browser\defaults\preferences", but it is only the default layout of the skin. Once you place the toolbars anywhere else, the settings are overriden.

Also, I'm using a custom skin since the days of 0.x or 1.1.x version so it is not a thing of skin.js file, as my skin doesn't have it.

Maybe, renaming the "K-meleon\browser\defaults\preferences\skin.js" too and deleting startupCache (just in case)?

EDIT: tried with the latest Aurora and I can unlock, move anywhere and lock and with restart all is where I set, not defaulted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 02:32PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 03, 2014 09:58PM

Perhaps Dorian fixed it already with the latest updates??

My own last download was the slightly outdated KM74beta4_0, and that one contained a wrong "skin.js" in the Aura main folder. It's still the old *Phoenity* version from 2008, so no wonder! The name is stated inside when opening it with a text editor. Wouldn't necessarily be a prob, but Aura seems to use different toolbar names as Phoenity.

The Aura COMPACT folder on the other hand contains an own new skin.js, specifically made for it, so it works.
And of course the LARGE version inherits the problematic file from the Aura main folder, since it contains no own one (huh, and not even larger icons??)

I always find it a pity that so little people are aware of that really nice KM skin system, love it: skin variants, named e.g. "AuraAlpha(xy)", automatically inherit all files from a skins main folder, here "AuraAlpha", unless they contain own specialized files. So only the actual differences are stored in the ()-folders. And if their main folder doesn't contain a requested file either, it gets inherited from the folder /skins/default, which alas a user must first create himself, but usually doesn't because he's not aware of that possibility. A look into the old Klassic and Phoenity folders demonstrated that system nicely, although AuraAlpha needs quite some work yet (nope not me - must be someone with a younger compi which can do that transparency type tongue sticking out smiley - unless Dorian fixed it already)

Date: August 04, 2014 01:21PM

quote=myself]
Maybe you could test this way. Rename the skin.js in AuraAlpha(Large) to skin.xx and the try the AuraAlpha(Large) skin. You may have to unlock toolbars and position them. The close KM and restart.

Nope, I tried that with no change to layout. It still reverts.
[/quote]

I was half right. You also need to delete startupcache in your profle.

The KM binary has changed. A skin.js within the skin folder is apparently re-read after your toolband prefs in your profile. I do not know why the change was made.

This is a preliminary assessment and I must do more testing.

Date: August 09, 2014 09:03AM

Toolbar position is now saved in AuroraAlpha using the latest RC release of K-Meleon.

Thank you Dorian and unseen Developers/Helpers!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.