General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
the autocomplete feature is not working
Posted by: sd7384
Date: September 30, 2010 10:27PM

The Autocomplete feature isn't working even though I have the history set to remember for the next 100000 days. For example when I type the work order number 4225860 in the streetlight complaint form on NYC Dot page it does not show tyhe suggestions the next time i visit the page again. After typing it the first time it should automatically show the number in the bar underneath as i start typing the number again and it doesn't. I hope you reply to this message when you get it and let me know why this is happening and the steps to fix this problem. Again this is extremely important so please reply to this post when you get it because lots of times when i leave posts in forums nobody ever replies to my posts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the autocomplete feature is not working
Posted by: siria
Date: September 30, 2010 10:57PM

Hi, and sorry, don't know much about this, just wondering:
Which KM version are you using? Guess KM1.6alpha has some issue with URL bar...
Or perhaps this is only happening with protected sites - does it work with 'normal' sites?
Supposing you DID check out alll options for History, especially URL bar history...

Just a bit wild guessing, although not much hope, but there are also a few more experienced people here ;-)

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: October 01, 2010 09:02AM

Hi, sd7384, and welcome to the forum.

The feature you are looking for is called AutoFill. AutoComplete is for the URL bar only, and IS influenced by the history settings, that's true.
But you want to fill text in forms, right?

K-Meleon doesn't come with that feature out-of-the-box. There is one extension providing a basic form-filling helper here.

I haven't inspected it closer yet - it seems to work with keyboard shortcuts, which are called "Accelerators" or "Accels" in K-Meleon.

(When configuring that extension, you may need the info found in -> Edit -> Configuration -> Commands List -> Special Keys to Accelerators)

Try if that is enough for your requirements, else come back - maybe someone here wants to update that extension and give it some more features.

btw.: Many people here who are able to help do NOT speak English as their mother tongue. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to write shorter sentences, and to use commas where those can help understanding. Hitting the return key twice does separate paragraphs ...
Providing more info helps helping, too. Like a real link to the page you mentioned, and the K-M and Windows versions you use.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: October 01, 2010 05:34PM

@ siria, and all: must be this page he's writing about:

NYC DOT Street Light Repair Form

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 07, 2010 05:06PM

siria
Hi, and sorry, don't know much about this, just wondering:
Which KM version are you using? Guess KM1.6alpha has some issue with URL bar...
Or perhaps this is only happening with protected sites - does it work with 'normal' sites?

it has nothing to do with the url bar. it has everything to do with "autocompleting" forms on web pages. as SoerenB said, it's more of "Autofill" feature than Autocomplete.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 07, 2010 09:00PM

sd, there is no auto-complete feature in kmeleon (auto remembers last filled forms values). try adding a post for it in improvement requests

there is autofill extension for regular forms
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,106147,106147#msg-106147

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 07, 2010 09:43PM

My question would be is auto-complete a server side function based on cookies?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.