General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Trying Out Kmeleon 74 RC
Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: August 30, 2014 09:13PM

I'm really enjoying the new release. I never thought I was going to see Kmeleon remerge, so I'm happy to see all of the work that was done. It browses the modern web with little issue.

I was wondering if there are alternate themes or skins to download specifically for this version. I like Kute/Qute the most, but even Firefox 2x themes are nice. Are there any at this point?
smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying Out Kmeleon 74 RC
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 30, 2014 10:11PM

Jody Thornton

I was wondering if there are alternate themes or skins to download specifically for this version. I like Kute/Qute the most, but even Firefox 2x themes are nice. Are there any at this point?
smiling smiley

No, none that I know about currently.

But it is no great job to update Yourself. See below.
The old skins work but some botton strings must be updated.

History because history plugin is not used anymore.

History{
macros(Places_History)|Histor&y
View History. Right-click for more options.

This button decativated by default in most skins should be activated now.

Browser Con&figuration{
Compact Menu
&Tools

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2014 10:11PM by guenter.

Date: October 01, 2014 02:27PM

I got Kute working to my liking. Thanks for the assistance. This setup is going to give Pale Moon a run for its money.

Cheers,
Jody
smiling smiley

Date: October 01, 2014 02:41PM

One more question. In the toolbar.cfg file is there ANY way to selectively delete toolbar separators?

Cheers,
Jody

Posted by: siria
Date: October 01, 2014 04:02PM

The possiblities are rather endless, depending on what you need exactly?

If you didn't say "selectively" I would have recommed to simply hide ALL toolbar lines. But since that's nearly unknown, I'd like to advertise it a bit anyway, it's just too great for photos as background :cool:
There is a checkbox in F2 > Toolbars: "Hide toolbars line"
Unfortunately in KM74 it's grayed out it because the necessary pref is not included anymore, but am not sure if it's intentional or only forgotten, perhaps it may not work anymore on all those ultramodern systems? But everyone can simply try if it works on his machine:
Go to menu Edit>Configuration>Browser Configuration (= "about:config"), confirm to be careful, right-click in the page and ADD a new BOOL pref:
kmeleon.display.toolbars_line
Then open a new window to see the result.
And once the pref was added, the checkbox in the normal Preferences Sheets will work again.

-----------

Okay, but back to "selectively" smiling smiley
In toolbars.cfg, there are separators either between different toolbars or manually inserted ones (just a "-" in a line). For the latter simply delete that sign or comment out with #
The line between two neighbor toolbars you could for example get rid of by merging them into 1 toolbar, that means the second one does not exist anymore and all its buttons are appended to the first. Syntax Example:

# &Save Page As...{
Save{

But I would rather recommend to simply move or copy single buttons into the other toolbar. A matter of copy paste the button block.

-----------

In toolbars.cfg the possibilities are really endles. For example it took me YEARS to realize, that any custom toolbar is simply created by typing some freely invented name and two { } and copy some buttons in between!
And in toolbars.cfg all buttons can have any available commands incl. macro commands or menu names.

blalbaMine{
(some bottons between)
}

A huge improvement in KM74 is now the possibility to add menus on buttons, that means not only on right-click, but also on left-click. Example:
&Bookmarks

That actually is on old function, but in older versions needed this syntax:
rebarmenu(&Bookmarks) and it had the bug of showing outdated checkmarks, if it was a menu with checkmarks like "&Privacy".

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.