General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Menu Font Size??
Posted by: siria
Date: November 18, 2010 07:25PM

Well I know that it's always explained that the menu style depends from the OS settings, but now I just realized that only goes for the "inner" menus, not the main menu line! Just cannot figure out where this is set - must be some actual K-Meleon setting somewhere??

Have checked with KM1.6beta1 and KM154, and even on XP (KM153).
All other programs, incl. Firefox352, adapt the "inner" and the "main" menu style to the Windows "Menu" font style. And K-Meleon only adapts the inner menus but the main menu keeps the same font no matter what:

If that's really an own KM setting, that would be cool, it would mean we can perhaps customize it :cool:
But if the settings cannot be found anywhere, if there were no way at all to get the font bigger, neither in KM nor Windows settings, that would be very bad for people with bad eyesight.

This is Firefox, consider the main menu line on top:

Hmm... I'm just blind, right? Anyone tell me where to find that thing?? grinning smiley Soeren perhaps...? ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 09:40PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Menu Font Size??
Posted by: caktus
Date: November 18, 2010 08:50PM

Hi, siria.

You might try Display Options > Appearance > Font size.
Or
Display Options > Appearance > Effects
or
Display Options > Appearance > Advanced > Item > Menu/Font settings.
or
Display Options > Settings > Advanced/General > DPI Settings.

It's been a while since I've had to play with these settings so I don't recall exactly what does what but I think most of them have an effect on menu and font settings. I would first create a system backup as it can get messy but experimenting with these settings can also be fun.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: November 18, 2010 09:27PM

If you mean the "Windows" settings, that's exactly what I'm talking about Charlie! grinning smiley
Unless you managed to change the main menu font in KM??
Then I'd be very curious how?? smiling smiley

Posted by: disrrupted
Date: November 18, 2010 09:51PM

uncheck 'display menubar as toolbar' to adhere to sys metrics. when the menubar is displayed as toolbar it attaches to the mfc rebar32 and no longer becomes a win menu following its metrics. that's normal mfc behaviour and applies to all mfc programmes and cannot be overridden when it becomes a rebarwindow32.

what all other programs?firefox does not follow system metrics and its xul ui, it simply reads the metrics keys from the registry and applies the value to chrome..it can always be overridden by editing the userchrome and registry values are then ignored. other mfc programmes that may not have the feature of attaching the menu to the rebar will use the metrics directly, same applies to kmeleon when the menubar isn't displayed as a toolbar.

Date: November 18, 2010 11:42PM

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation!
But hmm, looks like one must waste all the space right of the menu bar to have bigger fonts sad smiley
On the other hand, doesn't that imply, that for "Toolbars" there's some hard coded style and bar-height setting in that mfc-thing, whatever that is??

Background of my question is I was thinking about a text based privacy bar, without images, only "real" text simply typed into toolbars.cfg, so that people with bad eyes could have real big text, or normal users just smoother and with their preferred style etc. Whatever way that could be set, be it OS style or a hidden KM setting somewhere.

Well, so it's possible now to have the main menu font customized, at the cost of losing background color and waste space, but that still leaves the "Toolbars" without any way to change font style and bar height, if I get that right :-/

This is a privacy bar with "real" text and a main menu with "Windows OS" setting:

Posted by: snuz2
Date: November 20, 2010 09:15AM

Maybe don't use the rebar menu OR the windows menu and make your own text based toolbar how u like it ~!

Date: November 21, 2010 08:55PM

disrrupted
uncheck 'display menubar as toolbar' to adhere to sys metrics.

Seems I have 'display menubar as toolbar' checked. But I am not at my own computer right now. All have to check when I get home. It could be that I actually do have it unchecked. After all, I may not be alright and the world all wrong, all the time.:cool:

Charlie

Date: November 22, 2010 09:24PM

uncheck 'display menubar as toolbar'

Yup! It's unchecked just like I thought it wasn't.:drool:

Charlie

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.