Odd javascript behaviour
Posted by: mhf
Date: December 06, 2010 06:29PM

I've been trying to use this site : Free Rice and no matter whether :

I add the site to Policies Manager
or change useragent
or press F7
or even ... gulp ... use an IE tab,

the javascript that runs the "answers" (you'll see what I mean if you visit the site) just refuses to work - any ideas anyone ?

KM 1.5.4
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 06:32PM by mhf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Odd javascript behaviour
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 06, 2010 08:16PM

Please try again. Your donation total is 400 grains of rice.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.8.1.25pre) Gecko/20100308 K-Meleon/1.5.4 not Firefox/2.0.0.25pre

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 10, 2010 10:19PM

check your hosts file for blocked google analytics domains:
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

blocked ads= no rice for you!

Date: December 12, 2010 09:53PM

Thanks guenter (but that didn't work though I didn't really understand your answer) and disrupted (but that didn't work either).

No matter - will just have to eat cake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 09:54PM by mhf.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: December 13, 2010 12:11PM

you will need to restart kmeleon after

i had the exact same problem like you then i noticed in the staus bar it was trying to connect to google-analytics which i knew they were blocked inside hosts, when i removed those domains from hosts and restarted kmeleon the quiz was working normally.

maybe it's another advertising domain as well that needs to be unblocked and i didn't have in hosts. try testing by deleting or moving the hosts file temporarily and see if it works.

also try with another browser like firefox or opera, i already know its the hosts file in mycase and also probably in your case too because it didn't work in ietab so it's something that affects all browser like hosts

lately i have been removing some doubleclick domains from hosts like doubleclick.de and doubleclick.com because some videos on some sites don't work anymore if you have doubleclick blocked namely:
bbc news videos
yahoo news videos
techcrunch videos
streetfire
addicting games
hulu
google videos
virginmedia
sky news video

and even after you remove doubleclick from hosts you still have to whitelist those sites in adblockplus if you use it. i think they are fihting back t block their content from browsers that block their advertisements

Date: December 13, 2010 01:32PM

Hi disrupted - thanks, but it's not the Hosts file either (you can temporarily disable the hosts file with HostsMan).

When the mouse goes over an answer I get the famous javascript:void(0); showing in the status bar - and this with JS enabled, the site in my Policies manager allowed sites, after purging cache, flushing DNS cache etc... mystery and grain of rice...

Later ... weirder and weirder : I get the same behaviour with Opera !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 01:36PM by mhf.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 14, 2010 09:04PM

Who knows where they are testing the site, but it has a very big javascript problem. So, don't bother, it's their problem.

Date: December 21, 2010 01:59AM

Despite my other problems with JavaScript, my K-M works fine at the rice site. 1000 grains without a moment's hesitation.

I have sometimes experienced JavaScript "freezes" with K-M when history, cache and cookies were too cluttered.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Date: December 21, 2010 01:15PM

Thanks for the update Matera - but - I even tried with TheWorld browser (and some others) and get the same behaviour : it looks as if it's not browser-related but more something to do with my setup though I can't fathom what's going on...

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 22, 2010 10:45PM

Are you tried to updated Flash?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 23, 2010 10:35AM

Good idea desga, I'll try that, hadn't thought of it...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.