General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
menu bar
Posted by: islandman
Date: October 11, 2014 12:16PM

Looking round the site, I clicked on something and lost the menu bar, can anyone help please. I'm new to this browser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: menu bar
Posted by: siria
Date: October 11, 2014 12:22PM

It's a normal toolbar. RIGHT-click on a free space right of a button (if there is none, move a button toolbar a bit to the left, or click at the extreme right border of the browser window). There appears a menu with "toolbars", it has the toggle for "menu" bar too.

Or, depending on your current skin, left- or right-click on the Config-Button, then menu View>Toolbars.

After opening a new window it should appear again.

Or, if you disabled the menu bar completely, hit F2>Toolbars and uncheck "hide menubar". This needs a browser restart afterwards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 12:25PM by siria.

Date: October 11, 2014 05:23PM

Thank you so much. Menu Bar restored. Getting to grips with a new browser is so daunting.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 11, 2014 07:14PM

islandman
Getting to grips with a new browser is so daunting.

It's really worth doing so with k-meleon. It'll repay all the price smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 07:18PM by rodocop.

Date: October 12, 2014 11:45AM

Chrome has been my usual browser for ages, IE is there, but rarely touched, a few weeks ago, I re-installed Firefox which does have a few benfits for my personal use and now K meleon. The thing is, it's a cse of reprogramming my mind to do things differently.

What I would like is to have a bookmark/favourites bar, is it possible?. It's all very wel going through settings, but if I do something as I did yesterday and loose the menu bar, I have to ask for help. Then there is the thing about turning off/on k-meleon to activate something.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 12, 2014 01:20PM

Same as for the menu bar: View > Toolbars > Bookmarks smiling smiley

Some toolbars do exist but are switched off by default, which makes most people overlook them :-(
And I'd most highly recommend to take a look at the privacy bar, it has some toggle buttons for javascript, cookies etc, and yet more buttons are prepared in toolbars.cfg but not activated by default.

There are now finally some new pics uploaded on the screenhots page (link in green bar here), with a few hints that hopefully help to discover a few basics.

Tip: Aside from always trying to right-click right-click right-click on all sorts of things to possibly discover more options, there are also more Options in the settings sheets (F2) slightly hidden: The right side often has more pref tabs at the top, revealing yet more options!
Especially for bookmarks, favorites etc. By default only "bookmarks" are enabled, but Favorites and/or Hotlist have first to be enabled by a user, if he wants them. Note about "Favorites", the default plugin es extremely basic, most people will prefer to install a macro for easier handling. But still much room to improve.
PS: Right-click on the bookmars-button to see the menu, or left-click the button in the bookmarks-toolbar. To search for a bookmark, click on "Edit" then just start typing. To find next hits, press F3. Major pity there's no hint about such important things in the help button.

Most settings do not need a restart and work instantly. And some of those that claim to need restarts, actually work already in a new window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 01:23PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 12, 2014 02:46PM

hi islandman,
siria
Same as for the menu bar: View > Toolbars > Bookmarks smiling smiley

Some toolbars do exist but are switched off by default, which makes most people overlook them.

Bookmarks and Favorites toolbars exist. Hotlist toolbar is still broken.
F2 Tooolbars. There are checkmarks for it. F2 K-Meleon Plugins: Favorites plugin must be activated first and needs restart.

If anything does not show proceed with siria's tip. View...

Since You also use chrome. Like Chrome K-Meleon opens many menus on right klick.
The toothed wheel of default skin opens a menu on left or right click (depends on what aura skin version) like the main icon in some chrome clones. You can export Chrome bookmarks as html. Rename to bookmarks.html and copy into K-Meleon profile folder (should work). Using it with another name and other location might be fixed again.

p.s. My favorite Chrome extension context menu search: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/context-menu-search/ocpcmghnefmdhljkoiapafejjohldoga

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 02:50PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.