General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
K-Meleon Dying?
Posted by: Adam
Date: March 11, 2011 02:02AM

Is K-Meleon dying? There hasn't been a stable release for over a year. Is it time to switch to another browser?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Dying?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 11, 2011 04:22AM

Adam
Is K-Meleon dying? There hasn't been a stable release for over a year. Is it time to switch to another browser?

Adam,

Not dying, just suffering birthing pains in the process of moving from Gecko 1.8.xxx to Gecko 1.9.xxx.

As for stable, well, I used to use the official release of KM 1.5.4, but am now using KM 1.6 beta 1 (and testing beta 2 and the KM 1.7 alpha 2). Beta 1 works well on everything for me except not having history.

Minor glitches are there I'm sure, but nothing that has interfered with my ability to surf.

N

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 11, 2011 05:01PM

@ ndebord

Does this mean the Work Offline problem has been fixed?

I'm curious, how can it be as fast as it is without having history?:s

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 11, 2011 07:55PM

ndebord
...but am now using KM 1.6 beta 1 (and testing beta 2 and the KM 1.7 alpha 2). Beta 1 works well on everything for me except not having history.

There's no reason to use beta 1. It proved to be one of the most unstable versions of the 1.6 incarnations. Use beta 2. Also, you should have history. I don't remember if that was a bug of beta 1, but there's definitely history in beta 2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 11, 2011 09:09PM

KM 1.6.0 beta2 has been my default browser ever since it was released. It is fast and does not give me any problems.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 12, 2011 12:47AM

Yep, I'm quite happy with 1.6beta2 too smiling smiley Just a few minor, mostly win98-related things, the 'worst' of them the transparency prob in website favicons ;-) Just stuff like that, at any rate nothing serious or even dangerous, so I can happily recommend too to everyone to upgrade.

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 12, 2011 07:16AM

I tried Km 1.6 b2. I opened Help-About Kmeleon and Km promptly crashed.

I immediately went back to 1.6 a2. grinning smiley

Posted by: jmillar
Date: March 12, 2011 11:34AM

I have found KM 16b2 to be rock solid on several computers. What we need now is a GRE upgrade and it will continue to be relevant.
Fred has already built an updated NX version. (Too minimalist for many people's needs.)
KM will continue to be useful as long as Mozilla continues to patch the GRE,
then we'll have to switch to 1.7.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 12, 2011 03:26PM

IMHO 1.5.4 is still the most versatile HTML engine shell I can imagine, even if some pages already stopped supporting GRE 1.8.x. smiling smiley

panzer

grinning smiley I could not reproduce the error so I am still there. & You do You really need to know - I always thought that U know the about: of all software. grinning smiley

IMHO 1.6beta2 is a good GRE udate for 1.5.4 as it is now. You can even get most menus updated to You native language (for those that have a 1.5.4 locale folder in Your language) if You want.

BTW. The security issue fixed with the recent SeaMonkey update looks IMHO trivial.

AFAIK. A plugin that can drag/disclose a HTTP header to another page thus making info available.
That they force an update for that has IMHO to do with adverisement: Look here, we are updating once more since we found a bug. tongue sticking out smiley

I cannot imagine a usable plugin that You'd use on a banking site. Perhaps Roboform or another password manager? But You'd be darft enought to go to another site right after logging into his bank account?

I close my browser when I am done with banking. And fire up another.

& There is choice if You were not sure whether it is

Adam
time to switch to another browser?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 12:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 12, 2011 03:37PM

panzer

Huh?!:O

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 12, 2011 03:40PM

Since I left testing 1.6b2, I stopped having freezes and BSODs. I'm still expecting crashes to discard any other thing on my system, but after 2 weeks, looks something wrong with 1.6b2.

I know I'm the only one... but this makes me afraid to use again 1.6b2 regularly as I started to do.

Those bugs we all talked about, the behavior in some situations... I still can't accept our Vlahakis new behavior.

Date: March 12, 2011 04:02PM

jsnj
ndebord
...but am now using KM 1.6 beta 1 (and testing beta 2 and the KM 1.7 alpha 2). Beta 1 works well on everything for me except not having history.

There's no reason to use beta 1. It proved to be one of the most unstable versions of the 1.6 incarnations. Use beta 2. Also, you should have history. I don't remember if that was a bug of beta 1, but there's definitely history in beta 2.

jsnj,

I found beta2 to be a reincarnation of prebeta 1.6a4 in many ways and aside from the history thing, beta1 has worked well on my particular machine. I have been waiting for beta3 before updating all my settings once again. But different strokes and all that. <g>

N

Date: March 12, 2011 05:33PM

Try to relace the history kplugin with one from another version where it works.
Remember. April foolsday 2005 or so we found Browser and GRE are modular. tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. I am not worried ever since desga2 updated the chrome. Currently the GRE 1.9.1 must be patched. This is not ideal. & it prevents DAUs (any user like mesmiling smiley) to update the GRE when a SeaMonkey build comes out. But we were in the same situation when it took Dorian so much hard work to adapt the 1.8 GRE for 1.0.

Date: March 12, 2011 08:31PM

guenter
Try to relace the history kplugin with one from another version where it works.
Remember. April foolsday 2005 or so we found Browser and GRE are modular. tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. I am not worried ever since desga2 updated the chrome. Currently the GRE 1.9.1 must be patched. This is not ideal. & it prevents DAUs (any user like mesmiling smiley) to update the GRE when a SeaMonkey build comes out. But we were in the same situation when it took Dorian so much hard work to adapt the 1.8 GRE for 1.0.

Guenter,

Yes, desga2 did the chrome and hats off to him for that. Personally I would like to see KM 1.7 receive the main attention using, perhaps, Gecko 1.9.1.17

N

Date: March 12, 2011 10:39PM

ndebord
Personally I would like to see KM 1.7 receive the main attention using, perhaps, Gecko 1.9.1.17

So do I but 1.7 will prolong the works. & some are already getting exited.

GRE 1.9.1.17 would be AFAIK for 1.6. Dorian has recently shared his patches. An unofficial GRE update can possibly be done by other PPL that can patch and compile a GRE.

Quite honestly, I do not see much problem in the recent SeaMonkey vulnerability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 10:40PM by guenter.

Date: March 13, 2011 03:46AM

guenter
ndebord
Personally I would like to see KM 1.7 receive the main attention using, perhaps, Gecko 1.9.1.17

So do I but 1.7 will prolong the works. & some are already getting exited.

GRE 1.9.1.17 would be AFAIK for 1.6. Dorian has recently shared his patches. An unofficial GRE update can possibly be done by other PPL that can patch and compile a GRE.

Quite honestly, I do not see much problem in the recent SeaMonkey vulnerability.

guenter,

Good to hear that SM (and FF for that matter) vulnerabilities don't always affect KM. <VBG> I'm not up on which GRE is which, so my apologies for my ignorance here.

N

Date: March 14, 2011 09:08AM

caktus
panzer

Km 1.6 a2 works fine for me. grinning smiley

Will give 1.6b one more chance. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 09:22AM by panzer.

Date: March 14, 2011 03:01PM

panzer
caktus
panzer

Km 1.6 a2 works fine for me. grinning smiley

Will give 1.6b one more chance. grinning smiley

Panzer,

Are you talking about KM 1.6a4?

N

Date: March 14, 2011 06:40PM

Maye, yeah. grinning smiley I forgot what version it is.

Date: March 15, 2011 04:16AM

panzer
Maye, yeah. grinning smiley I forgot what version it is.

Panzer,

After KM 1.6beta 1 came out, KM 1.6beta 2 was released which was in many ways a reversion to KM 1.6a4. Since beta2 came out, many fixes and updates have appeared, in piecemeal fashion. To keep up, you need to read the posts in the forum closely so you can implement some of these fixes as needed. I've been testing Km 1.6b2 and Km 1.7a2 a lot while running KM 1.6b1 as my main browser (as I did not experience some of the problems that others ran into with that version). I have implemented changes on all as I've heard about them, but I'm quite sure I've missed more than a few as you have to read each forum to keep up with what's going on and I'm not sure I've read it all as closely as one might.

N

Posted by: margarita
Date: March 16, 2011 11:35PM

I think the poster "if browsers were women" is insane for the women. The photos containing references to the anorexia nervosa and prostitution are not necessary in my opinion. This is not the right way to promote your browser.
Women and sense of humour are compatible, with respect.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 17, 2011 01:59AM

C'mon do yours with men if you want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 02:00AM by JohnHell.

Date: March 17, 2011 03:13AM

margarita
I think the poster "if browsers were women" is insane for the women. The photos containing references to the anorexia nervosa and prostitution are not necessary in my opinion. This is not the right way to promote your browser.

margarita,

It's humor, admittedly boy's humor. IMO, humor, bad or puerile or superb is always better than no humor at all, don't you think?

N

Date: March 17, 2011 10:56AM

ndebord
margarita

margarita,

It's humor, admittedly boy's humor. IMO, humor, bad or puerile or superb is always better than no humor at all, don't you think?

The comparison between browsers will have more sense of humour without the photographs related to prostitution or anorexia nervosa. Otherway the poster is pretty accurate to the browsers reality. Always IMHO.

Date: March 17, 2011 12:27PM

Dear margarita,

I will remove the poster from this part of the forum. Law in my home country says a poster must be removed when it causes objection in a public open room.

What I wanted to say with the picture in a humorous way to the original starter of this thread?

This is currently the best browser GUI that I know. Feel free to go away if You say that You must search a new browser when PPL (that work on another job every day for their living) cannot create a free handout whenever You want it.

greetings to Spain

p.s. The law mostly pertains to undressed persons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 12:53PM by guenter.

Date: March 17, 2011 01:51PM

guenter
Dear margarita,

I will remove the poster from this part of the forum. Law in my home country says a poster must be removed when it causes objection in a public open room.

What I wanted to say with the picture in a humorous way to the original starter of this thread?

This is currently the best browser GUI that I know. Feel free to go away if You say that You must search a new browser when PPL (that work on another job every day for their living) cannot create a free handout whenever You want it.

greetings to Spain

p.s. The law mostly pertains to undressed persons.

I agree guenter. Kmeleon is a great browser for all users and computers. Please keep on your effort to provide us the expected new version.
greetings to your country also

Date: March 17, 2011 02:17PM

margarita
ndebord
margarita

margarita,

The comparison between browsers will have more sense of humour without the photographs related to prostitution or anorexia nervosa. Otherway the poster is pretty accurate to the browsers reality. Always IMHO.

margarita,

Uh-huh.

N

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 03:04PM by ndebord.

Date: March 18, 2011 04:36AM

ndebord
margarita
ndebord
margarita

margarita,

margarita,

Uh-huh.

o.O

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 19, 2011 08:30PM

K-Meleon is not dying, is hibernating.
I'm very busy in my job and I have little free time that I use to repose because I'm very tired.
Also I have a lot of things to do in my personal life.
Dorian is also very busy and he haven't free time for K-Meleon for now.

I hope release something before June of this year. tongue sticking out smiley
KM 1.6Beta3 possibly ... smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 08:33PM by desga2.

Date: March 19, 2011 08:33PM

desga2
K-Meleon is not dying, is hibernating.
I'm very busy in my job and I have little free time that I use to repose because I'm very tired. Also I have a lot of things to do in my personal life.
Dorian is also very busy and he haven't free time for K-Meleon for now.

I hope release something before June of this year. tongue sticking out smiley
KM 1.6Beta3 possibly ... smiling smiley

desga2,

Not to worry... knew both youse guys were busy and just as an aside to the K-Meleon community, this browser's history is one of a developer or two working on each version since its inception. Read the About K-Meleon and watch the scroll. You will see a list of people who have worked on K-Meleon, each in their own time. (Would be interesting to add in the dates when they worked on it!) I go back to KM 0.6 (FWIW).

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 08:35PM by ndebord.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.