General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon not working with facebook
Posted by: Bill R. Hurley
Date: June 14, 2011 12:57PM

I thought I had found a great browser here...till I tried it on facebooksad smiley
I logged on and went to comment on a post on my wall & bam....sad smiley nothing the page changed to a blank page and did nothing?????
This browser could be great IF YOU FIX IT TO WORK ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon not working with facebook
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 14, 2011 05:30PM

Bill R. Hurley
I thought I had found a great browser here...till I tried it on facebooksad smiley
I logged on and went to comment on a post on my wall & bam....sad smiley nothing the page changed to a blank page and did nothing?????
This browser could be great IF YOU FIX IT TO WORK ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!

How about asking facebook devs to fix their bugs? tongue sticking out smiley

Facebook is a FAQ. That subsequent link covers only the last 90 days.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/search.php?1,search=facebook,author=,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=90,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

Simple solution - Get 1.6 beta2 https://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/1.6.0Beta/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.exe/download

Install in a new folder and not on top of 1.5.4. Set user agent to custom and add:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.18) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0 not Firefox/3.5

"Not Firefox/3.5" to have the FF string or set it to camouflage as FF 3.5 instead of K-Meleon for facebook's dumb browser switch.

Also read this which is a sticky!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 08:42PM by guenter.

Posted by: torbetron
Date: June 17, 2011 05:38AM

Hi, do you mean actually type this whole string in custom user agent?:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.18) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0 not Firefox/3.5

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 17, 2011 08:07AM

K-Meleon sends his User Agent String on contact to facebook (any internet server/page) in the http header. Facebook directs K-Meleon to the appropriate page. Now some pages look for strings such as Firefox or IE while they should detect the html engine & its version. So You camouflage as a browser that You assume to be known, and that uses the same html rendering engine as Your browser. There is only a hand full of html rendering engines but many browser shells.

You can either set Tools -> User Agent to Firefox.

Or You can insert a custom string via copy/paste into menu field for that:

Tools -> User Agent -> Custom (pop-up), insert custom string and click ok.

Facebook should work with K-Meleon 1.6beta2. You can further change the Agent String to Firefox 3.5. Or You can use K-Meleon 1.5.4 and add the mentioned user custom styles by disrupted to Edit -> Configuration -> User-Defined Style Sheet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 08:24AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.