General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How do you import bookmarks in K-Meleon?
Posted by: Rain
Date: November 27, 2014 05:07PM

As the title says, how do you do that? I saw that they are stored in the K-Meleon profile folder, but how do i import them from IE or Mozilla for example?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you import bookmarks in K-Meleon?
Posted by: Zero3K
Date: November 27, 2014 06:12PM

1. Export them to a Bookmarks.html file.
2. Place it in the profile directory that K-Meleon uses.
3. Configure the Netscape Bookmarks plugin to use that file.

Date: November 27, 2014 07:00PM

Thanks Zero!

Posted by: siria
Date: November 27, 2014 07:20PM

If the system hasn't changed with the latest versions, then IE-"Favorites" can still be "shared" with IE. That means (unlike FF bookmarks) they are neither copied nor imported, simply both browsers work with the same folder at the same time. And that folder is found automatically when the favorites plugin is switched on (by default it's off) in F2>KM Plugins>IE Favorites.

The big catch is, the favorites-plugin is natively much more primitive when saving new pages, no name or target folder can be given. But there are macros to improve this (e.g. FavRenAdd or FRAcombo by JamesD, but not sure if anything has changed lately, am using my own version)

Posted by: horinne
Date: November 28, 2014 03:07AM

In K-Meleon export your bookmarks to a html file. It almost certainly can (all the major browsers do), but I have no idea how.
In Firefox, click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks to open Bookmarks manager, and then click File > Import to import the html file.

-----------------------------------
etui iphone 6 etuicoquesamsung

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 03:49AM by horinne.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 28, 2014 04:23AM

horinne
In K-Meleon export your bookmarks to a html file. It almost certainly can (all the major browsers do), but I have no idea how.
In Firefox, click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks to open Bookmarks manager, and then click File > Import to import the html file.

smiling smiley

Yes Firefox and does it that way.

Netscape Mozilla bookmarks.html format is an industry standart that ALL still use for export, import and sometimes backup.

And k-meleon still uses it as default bookmarking system.

So You do not have to export it as bookmarks.html because it is there in that format in your profile folder already.

And You can import a bookmarks.html by simply copying it to the profile.

(If the plugin is not fixed yet. Originally it did not matter where the html was).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 04:27AM by guenter.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: November 28, 2014 01:35PM

The extension KMBimporterNT http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/KMBimporterNT.7z imports bookmsrks.html files into K-Meleon Bookmarks.

You just have to extract macros and Tools into K-Meleon Root folder. Importing with this extensions overrites the entire bookmarks.html file with whatever is in the bookmarks.html file that is imported.

It can not merge bookmarks files.

Also it uses the program KMBImport.exe to import bookmarks and not just a macro to do it.

Date: November 29, 2014 08:19AM

George Hall
The extension ... mports bookmsrks.html files into K-Meleon Bookmarks.

Thanks, but i hate plugins to death. That's why i chose K-Meleon, it comes highly configurable without the need of installing external plugins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 08:19AM by Rain.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 29, 2014 08:17PM

Rain
George Hall
The extension ... mports bookmsrks.html files into K-Meleon Bookmarks.

Thanks, but i hate plugins to death. That's why i chose K-Meleon, it comes highly configurable without the need of installing external plugins.

I would not do it with that helper anyway. IE can import bookmarks.html of other browsers and K-Meleon bookmarks manager (Edit) can import IE Favorites.

Both are present. So why download a clumsy helper plugin?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.