General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
power usage
Posted by: iceblitzed
Date: December 05, 2014 03:15PM

I haven't seen much discussion on this.

Being kmeleon is a lightweight browser it probably doesnt use a ton of power but I was wondering if anyone has compared it to other popular browsers (ie,fox,chrome)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power usage
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 05, 2014 06:25PM

What discussion do you want?

Comparing with IE and Chrome K-Meleon is EXRTREMELY customizable and personilizable.
Also it's much more functional than IE and with Chrome that difference is a little bit smaller by also with KM as a winner.

Comparing with FireFox, K-Meleon is much lighter in terms of PC resources used with all the same core functionality and growing ability to incorporate FF extensions. Plus, KM has its own numerous macros which add a huge pool of abilities to it.

Comparing with all three K-Meleon is sometimes more complicated in setting things up, but usually all these 'problems' start where the unique KM-features appear. For example, it's not easy for novices to create their own buttons, but in Chrome and IE you even cannot dream about this feature, and FF requires Custom Buttons extension.

You can continue this list by yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 06:26PM by rodocop.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 05, 2014 08:09PM

iceblitzed
I haven't seen much discussion on this.

Being kmeleon is a lightweight browser it probably doesnt use a ton of power but I was wondering if anyone has compared it to other popular browsers (ie,fox,chrome)

No idea about power usage. It IMHO largely depends on what JS heavy pages You visit.
When a lot of CPU cycles are used the PC will sweat, churn with some power usage.

We here in Europe in places like St. Petersburg (RU) or Hannover (De) do not have much problem with power usage since the power grid here is well build and stable.

Greetings to Hazel Green (US)

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 06, 2014 12:09AM

Sorry,
I had a wrong understanding of question.

I can say only, that power consumption depends mostly on CPU usage and also (therefore) on Fan activity.

It seems that KM's native Win GUI makes KM use a little bit less CPU than FF, but this difference isn't significant.

And the engine load on CPU is equal between FF and KM as it's the same Gecko.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.