General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Questions about specific things with K-M 74.0
Posted by: Vkaryl
Date: December 30, 2014 08:04PM

1. I have two screens. I like my browser to open on the one that's NOT set as the Windows default active screen. In FF, this was handled by the browser itself, it simply remembers where you put it last, and that's where it opens next time. The sizing in K-M is remembered, but not on which screen I want it to open.

2. In looking at the Themes and Plugins download pages, I see that the numbering system (for what version something works on) is 1.x - but this version is 74.0.... Will any of those themes/plugins work with this version? If not, is there somewhere to find themes/plugins that do work with this version?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about specific things with K-M 74.0
Date: December 30, 2014 11:40PM

....and, not finding an "edit" post option, I'm having to reply....

Also, I have one site where I'm not asked if I want to save my login info. And since I log into this site (an MMO forum site) on various different email/password selections, it would definitely be handy to have! Is this something that's occasionally wonky? And if so, does anyone know a workaround?

Posted by: siria
Date: December 31, 2014 12:44AM

Hi Vkaryl,
it's rather quiet around here, so let me jump in although I cannot answer that stuff very well. And personally am stuck with an older version due to win98, but most settings still work the same. Not all, but anyway, just try.

- For the window position, no idea if it helps with 2 screens, but take a look here:
F2 > GUI > At startup

- for editing posts in this forum, that logically only works if you were logged in when posting

- you may want to try the latest beta version, KM75+U1. The download link is in this forum in the announcement section. Attention you need 2 downloads: the update1 is a separate download and gets unzipped into the KM75 root folder, to overwrite and update it.

- for "looking at the Themes and Plugins download pages"...
Uh oh, just be warned, the homepage and wiki are horribly outdated for the most part! Even if the editing date may be new, that doesn't mean a thing. Especially those "plugins" sound suspicious...
If you're looking for extensions (macros/addons), that's a long story. Since KM74 there's not only the traditional macro system that works (*most* old ones in theory still work, just try), but with some skills some complicated FF addons may work as well in the future. But currently that's still in beta development and requires some user dedication (it's not easy) and also some luck.
You find extensions best here in the forum in the extensions chapter, and on the non-official archive site kmext.sf.net

As for themes (skins), they should work of nearly all ages, certainly since KM1.5, but you may have to manually update a button or two with a newer command name. Rather easy, look into the graphics section of this forum for skins, and read this thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,129652

- In KM skins work very differently as you probably expect. Each skin defines not only the "look" of buttons, but also defines which commands are available out of the box! So when switching skins, some function buttons may disappear, and others may appear... (PS: Have you already discovered the privacy bar? The only hidden toolbar out of the box)
Of course you can add additional functions and buttons yourself any time, by copying them from one skin into another, but it's handywork and requires editing text files.

- in KM75 there was introduced a new skin system for the default skin. But it seems rather complicated yet, so if you want to try customizing, rather try with an old skin first. Both systems work currently parallel, and the old one is far easier. Copy over the old default skin folders "Phoenity" from KM1.54, it's still the best example to demonstrate the system.
Or simpler yet, take the "Klassic" still included in current KM, but that one is really *ancient* ;-)

- the FAQ page (linked from the homepage, not from forum) also answers lots of beginner questions

Hope it helps a bit, and hasn't scared you off too much ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2014 12:53AM by siria.

Date: December 31, 2014 12:44PM

Vkaryl
Also, I have one site where I'm not asked if I want to save my login info. And since I log into this site (an MMO forum site) on various different email/password selections, it would definitely be handy to have!

Had overlooked that one. Am not too familiar with that function either, since personally I prefer to handle logins via cookie exceptions instead. Anyway:
- In F2/Privacy are the settings for the password manager
- once you set the checkmark that you want to remember passwords, my understanding is that future passwords will all be remembered for all login-pages without any further confirmations
- if there may be exceptions for this, perhaps for banking sites or https, other users sure know more about it than me. Most people seem to use this password memory too.

Date: December 31, 2014 08:49PM

siria
Hi Vkaryl,
it's rather quiet around here, so let me jump in although I cannot answer that stuff very well. And personally am stuck with an older version due to win98, but most settings still work the same. Not all, but anyway, just try.<snip>

Hope it helps a bit, and hasn't scared you off too much ;-)

Thanks for the reply. I registered, and the forum refuses to log me in, telling me that username already exists or is inactive *shrug*. I logged in just fine from FF just now.

I wouldn't say any of that precisely scares me.... I've been using computers since 1984, the 'net since 1990, and coding css/html since about that same time. However, at this point, I really just want things to work the way I want them to work (which is why I've been using Firefox since it was in beta). The older I get, the less interested I am in "cutting edge" - and while I'm not really happy with the direction Mozilla is taking FF, as long as I can keep it looking/working the way I like, I'll probably just stay with it for the time being.

siria
Vkaryl
Also, I have one site where I'm not asked if I want to save my login info. And since I log into this site (an MMO forum site) on various different email/password selections, it would definitely be handy to have!

Had overlooked that one. Am not too familiar with that function either, since personally I prefer to handle logins via cookie exceptions instead. Anyway:
- In F2/Privacy are the settings for the password manager
- once you set the checkmark that you want to remember passwords, my understanding is that future passwords will all be remembered for all login-pages without any further confirmations
- if there may be exceptions for this, perhaps for banking sites or https, other users sure know more about it than me. Most people seem to use this password memory too.

Not only is that forum login not being saved (for any of the logins), today none of them are working properly - in K-M, attempts to login to my bank for instance gave me some sort of "insecure browser" error. Which is why I'm back to FF....

Thanks very much for your answers in any case. I'll check in on K-M occasionally, and when 75 is released will probably try it again.

Date: December 31, 2014 10:05PM

I'm very much with you there, that things shall just work as we want them! smiling smiley
And will happily keep sticking with my cookie exceptions instead of logins each time. Perhaps more skilled people than myself can figure out that login stuff, but anyway, good luck until next time smiling smiley

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 01, 2015 11:52AM

Vkaryl
in K-M, attempts to login to my bank for instance gave me some sort of "insecure browser" error.
An error code in case you received one, might have been more useful.
Just a wild guess: Have you tried to change the UserAgent to Firefox and see if you still get the "unsecure browser error" warning?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.