General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
FlasBlock issue
Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 28, 2015 07:42PM

I can't view anymore YouTube clips with FlashBlock enabled. If I disable FlashBlock from prefs, it works.
It seems that I'm the only one with this issue.
It worked last time. I don't know when that was because I rarely view YouTube clips.
I suppose that it must be something on my end but I'm clueless what it could be.
I haven't changed any settings since last time it worked.
Has anbody an idea what it could be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 07:43PM by Yogi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FlasBlock issue
Posted by: siria
Date: January 28, 2015 07:48PM

Since a few weeks in my KM1.6 the flashblock-icon isn't clickable any more on youtube! At least not while javascript is blocked. They definitely must have changed something sad smiley Fortunately my brute-force workaround helps here too: Killing all css. Then can click the icon and immediately restore the css again, it will play and look normal now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 07:48PM by siria.

Date: January 28, 2015 08:03PM

siria
Since a few weeks in my KM1.6 the flashblock-icon isn't clickable any more on youtube! At least not while javascript is blocked. They definitely must have changed something sad smiley Fortunately my brute-force workaround helps here too: Killing all css. Then can click the icon and immediately restore the css again, it will play and look normal now.

Thanks for confirmation.
The flashblock-icon isn't clickable any more on youtube even with scripting enabled.
I'm using KM.74. Basically FlashBlock became unusable for Google's YouTube.

I've checked now some clips from DailyMotion and they work just fine with FlashBlock activated.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 28, 2015 09:17PM

siria

Maybe You mean that fix.

Add to userContent.css?

#theater-background {display:none}

That is advocated for firefox for the Google Search as "Fix For Firefox Flashblock And Youtube Click Problem". Should help here too?

p.s. AFAIK Flashblock does not work with Javascript disabled or with NoScript installed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:45PM by guenter.

Date: January 28, 2015 09:28PM

LOL! There I finally decided to go hunt down the solution in the web, which surely some clever people must have done already, and upon finding it wanted to post the link now - and here it is already grinning smiley
And isn't it simple again - just 4 words to get their new barrier out of the way again grinning smiley

If anyone doesn't know how to add it, just use the browser menu:
Edit > Configuration > User defined stylesheet

But this only works in this single profile. To have it in all and also new profiles, it would have to be added in KM(root) / defaults / profiles / chrome / usercontent.css
(Old path on KM1.6, may be slightly different in KM74, but filename still the same I guess)

Yes of course you're right, flashblock only works if JS is enabled. I temporarily enable it every time, along with embedded objects, when I want to view a video. Had forgotten it for a moment, oops ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 09:39PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 28, 2015 10:21PM

siria
But this only works in this single profile. To have it in all and also new profiles, it would have to be added in KM(root) / defaults / profiles / chrome / usercontent.css
(Old path on KM1.6, may be slightly different in KM74, but filename still the same I guess)

Just the red is added/subtracted.

KM(root) / browser / defaults / profiles / chrome / usercontent.css
(Old path on KM1.6, is slightly different in KM74, but filename still the same I know)

And i bet you know too. It has been the same name for ages now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:37PM by guenter.

Date: January 29, 2015 01:31AM

guenter

That is advocated for firefox for the Google Search as "Fix For Firefox Flashblock And Youtube Click Problem". Should help here too?

Many thanks!
Works like a charm.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 29, 2015 10:37AM

Sorry, folks - couldn't anyone paste the corresponding part of usercontent.css here?

I can't get this working in my KM75b2

Date: January 29, 2015 10:42AM

Another easy solution is to add Youtube.com to flashblock exceptions.

Tools->Privacy->Flashblock->Enable flash for this site

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 29, 2015 12:48PM

@ rodocop

Both methods work. I prefer the CSS method.

Put this code into your usercontent.css file.
/* --  Allow flashblock to work in YouTube  */

Date: January 29, 2015 04:11PM

Thank you, James!

I was wrong about way KM handles default css-file. It's OK now!

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 30, 2015 06:53PM

Or even better to avoid problems with another websites using the same ID (the rule is quite generic) and now, even it is not needed, more targeted to that div.

Thanks guenter, I didn't bother to dig myself. I just TAB/SHIF-TAB to place on the flashblock icon and ENTER.

JamesD
@ rodocop

Both methods work. I prefer the CSS method.

Put this code into your usercontent.css file.
/* --  Allow flashblock to work in YouTube  */

@-moz-document domain(youtube.com){
div#theater-background {display:none}
}

Also, as I have loads of sites in usercontent.css and the file became too large, I started to use external files for each website in the form:
@import url("sites/kmeleon.css");
(sites is another folder inside the chrome folder of the user profile)
You might find it useful.

Posted by: George_Hall
Date: January 30, 2015 08:12PM

Adding youtube.com###theater-background to Adblock Plus's Element Hiding Rules

Also allows flashblock to click om YouTube videos for both Firefox and K-Meleon Browsers

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: January 31, 2015 12:23AM

This was more of a Youtube problem than a Flashblock problem.
Youtube will soon default to using HTML5 and abandon Flash altogether as I have read in this Majorgeeks.com article:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/youtube_to_use_html5_in_place_of_flash_as_default_playback.html

Date: July 13, 2015 04:55PM

The above work around became obsolete with K-Meleon 75 which by default works fine with Flashblock on YouTube.

Date: July 14, 2015 10:42AM

Made some investigation about Flashblock.

1) FB itself is abandoned extension - I think because of introduction of click-to-play feature (FF built-in)

2) Last 'official' version supported by author is 1.5.17 (used in KM also) - and it's outdated and addressed for FF 4.0-22.0 only (I think it's quite good for FF24 - KM74 too)

3) There is slightly renewed version 1.5.18.1-signed without any support on Mozilla Addons page

4) Whatever build you get - option to Block HTML5 in GUI is disconnected from corresponding pref flashblock.html5video.blocked and does nothing.

5) The pref flashblock.html5video.blocked itself does nothing too being switched manually in about:config

6) the same behaviour goes for Firefox - so it osn't KM issue. It's Flashblock issue.

about click-to-play

if enabled and set flash to "Always ask' - KM doesn't show 'Enable Adobe Flash' and you cannot get flash working...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 11:24AM by rodocop.

Date: July 14, 2015 11:11AM

More information about HTML5 autoplay problem from bugzilla

In short: it isn't as easy as for flash to get html5 played only on-demand.
Devs cannot solve this issue fully, but Gecko41 will bring some partial solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 11:12AM by rodocop.

Date: July 25, 2015 11:32PM

rodocop
In short: it isn't as easy as for flash to get html5 played only on-demand.
Devs cannot solve this issue fully, but Gecko41 will bring some partial solution.

I'm not believing this for a minute. Perhaps it's not quite easy, but with all the paid full-time programmers they have it could certainly be done - if they really wanted. Personally am sure if Dorian just had enough time he could fix it himself tongue sticking out smiley
I mean, it's just another filetype! They can block images and scripts so certainly could block mp4 or other video types too. But instead they have intentionally removed other blocks as well (the most important CAPS prefs for example, or have hidden the javascript-pref from users, etc.) It just fits too well into the picture.

But another thing, funnily in KM1.6 the flashblock-icon has vanished too now?! Could well be that I shouldn't have added lots of those new KM7x prefs to it, to avoid forgetting them when some day switching to KM7x as main browser... It did reappear 1x after disabling the pref plugins.click_to_play, but only once, and afterwards could not reproduce it anymore at all, not even when removing all those new prefs again. No chance, no Flashblock-icon. No clue why. That theater-background-css doesn't help either now.
Am just glad that the age old redirect to full-page view still works, by replacing the URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxx
with
https://www.youtube.com/v/xxxx
That shows up with the normal arrow-icon (not FB-icon), and does not load it in background until clicking it. And then it plays fine again in win98 with Flash9 smiling smiley

What I'm curious about:
Does the embedded-objects-block still work in km75?
Can find nearly nothing about it in the web, and unfortunately that sounds like it was related to some obsolete function. The pref is
permissions.default.object INT 1=allowed 2=blocked 3=domain allowed
Am using that all the time to block videos independant from javascript state.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 25, 2015 11:44PM

siria
What I'm curious about:
Does the embedded-objects-block still work in km75?
Can find nearly nothing about it in the web, and unfortunately that sounds like it was related to some obsolete function. The pref is
permissions.default.object INT 1=allowed 2=blocked 3=domain allowed
Am using that all the time to block videos independant from javascript state.

Didn't know this, or didn't remember.

Works in K-meleon 75, with flash. HTML5, obviously, is not an object but a video tag, so, no.

I'll give it a try with 3 value, even now embedded objects are often in iframes.

About the above of my quote of your post, let's hope they don't remove it, as I use it in a custom local html file to avoid loading the full YouTube page.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 25, 2015 11:53PM

siria

The pref "permissions.default.object" does not appear in my KM 75.0 and the only things that I can find on the web seem to indicate it might have been uses on FF 2 and earlier. I wonder if there was something else involved which would have described what object was the default.

Looks like JohnHell answered while I was typing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 11:54PM by JamesD.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.