General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Modifying the Prefs & Other Bits
Posted by: Andante
Date: November 04, 2001 04:10PM

First of all, allow me to state that K-meleon is so fast that it is worth dealing with a few not fully implemented features, simply to enjoy the speed with a 56K modem. (Does anyone else get that tremendous - insert technical term here - initial whoosh when downloading?)

I prefer to view web pages with a sans-serif font (Arial will do) and therefore needed to over-ride the defaults to use the document fonts. I have never done a line of coding but the explanation of how to change the prefs is fairly straightforward and I actually managed to do it. One word of caution to those equally challenged; apparently hyphens can cause a few problems in lines of code, so although the spelling for "sans-serif" in the instructions uses a hyphen, that wouldn't work. Changing it to an underscore (sans_serif) worked like a charm. Go figure.

The bookmark situation, however, is in desperate need of work. Basically, the only way I have been able to create some order is to go into Netscape and do some editing there. Changes are implemented in K-meleon upon rebooting. However, I would prefer to leave Netscape severely alone. When absolutely necessary I use Mozilla .0.9.5 - but it's just so much slower than K-meleon.

K-meleon is really quite remarkable and now that the Toolbars have "stabilized" from their initial dance (unchecked the ReBar Menu Plugin on the advice of a poster here - thanks) the interface is aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. (To further complicate matters, I'm using WindowBlinds to skin it but there doesn't seem to be any problems using it with K-meleon).

For now, I'm going to kick back and enjoy the speed!

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.