General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
frustrated
Posted by: confused
Date: February 04, 2015 03:09AM

Things that are peeving me off beyond no measure:

1. Pop ups every where
2. ctrl e does't work
3. CPU usage what tabs like its bloody ridiculous can't do anything and if I use any other browser the computer blue screens (is old as sh**) can't handle the memory usage of modern browesers - internal task manager or through cmd
4. Ctrl+D too many times and it crashes at least 6 times
5. Exstention support is wonky
6. can you do new tab to google?
7. Toolbars change all the time on there own to fit screen and cut off anyways
8. multi-screens prompts and new spaces open on primary not originating screen
9. built in tab suspension would be total tits to the already amazing memory management
10. this is a dream feature the ability to toggle page elemetns with thumbnail preview on hover ex. pages display like lynx all in text only the rest is not loaded unless clicked on user can hover and see preview then activate or save the element image or video or whatever

beyond that bang up job guys, thanks a lot sorry if this is wrong area just a little frustrated between it closing, the cpu hogging pages and the endless pop ups like behaviour of things opening in new window you click on delibrately I am sure I cna change but any new window request sent from the page should automatically be canceled out instead of waitng for 10 pages to load and then their prompts like I like how you can cancel out certain page request here all ready

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: frustrated
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 04, 2015 12:29PM

confused

1. Pop ups every where
2. ctrl e does't work
3. CPU usage what tabs like its bloody ridiculous can't do anything and if I use any other browser the computer blue screens (is old as sh**) can't handle the memory usage of modern browesers - internal task manager or through cmd
9. built in tab suspension would be total tits to the already amazing memory management
10. this is a dream feature the ability to toggle page elemetns with thumbnail preview on hover ex. pages display like lynx all in text only the rest is not loaded unless clicked on user can hover and see preview then activate or save the element image or video or whatever

beyond that bang up job guys, thanks a lot sorry if this is wrong area just a little frustrated between it closing, the cpu hogging pages and the endless pop ups like behaviour of things opening in new window you click on delibrately I am sure I cna change but any new window request sent from the page should automatically be canceled out instead of waitng for 10 pages to load and then their prompts like I like how you can cancel out certain page request here all ready

1.) Block popups. If needed with noscript, adblock+ or Bluhell.

2.) This is no editor.

3.) Make sure dom.ipc.plugins.enabled is false. Kills Plugins container use.
The FF Plugin container is close to a sabotage program to RAM. Else this adds to the problem page with rich flash content or Java Script. Use flashblock to render only flash You want. Not the flash adverts that are on the same page.

Use a manager that can control which pages can use JavaScript...

The MS dll got bigger since this project started. The same with Mozilla core dll. Nothing to be done for these problems.

4.) What is that supposed to do - I sit before a German keyboard.

5.) Extension support for Mozilla plugins and K-Meleon's native kmm is excellent.
K-Meleon is no Firefox clone. The project is older, the GUI based on Windows MFC Widgets and K-Meleon's native code.

Firefox addons are for Firefox which has a XUL GUI. Only Firefox addons that do use/need absolutely no element of the Firefox GUI, can work.

As a rule of thumb anyway.

Apart from that the install.rdf of the addons selects to which apps it can be installed and is compatible. Dorian merely created a way to override this barrier. So now we can look ourselves what will work for us in K-Meleon 74+. :O

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,131158
thx go to George Hall for testing all that stuff.

6.) ?

7.) ?

8.) Report problem in announcement forum newest 75. IMHO work in progress.

9.) Try to write school English. You English rely on non native speaking support mostly. I have two GB of RAM - so I like it. This is not browser just for old Canadian machines. grinning smiley

10.) Try extensions: no script and exexceptions. This project is about a browser.
It makes selective but not as much as You want.

11.) We have moderators for wrong area, so never mind. You have a better chance to get answers in General.

Some of the new popup methods rely on CSS. You'd need rules and filter lists for that. See F2 Content Filters. Activate it and add more rules or filters.

As I said - there are some Firefox addons that alleviate the problem and work for KM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 01:01PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 04, 2015 02:17PM

confused

Yes, this is possible. From the menu, click on TOOLS - HOTLINKS. Select the numeric that you wish to use and enter the URL for google. To have it open in a new tab, check the new tab box. Then click close to finish.

After setting up the hotlink, all you need to do to have google in a new tab is press CTRL + the numeric that you chose.

Date: February 04, 2015 02:44PM

confused

1. Pop ups every where
2. ctrl e does't work

2.) This is no editor.

The FF Plugin container is close to a sabotage program to RAM. Else this adds to the problem page with rich flash content or Java Script. Use flashblock to render only flash You want. Not the flash adverts that are on the same page.

The MS dll got bigger since this project started. The same with Mozilla core dll. Nothing to be done for these problems.

5.) Extension support for Mozilla plugins and K-Meleon's native kmm is excellent.
K-Meleon is no Firefox clone. The project is older, the GUI based on Windows MFC Widgets and K-Meleon's native code.

Firefox addons are for Firefox which has a XUL GUI. Only Firefox addons that do use/need absolutely no element of the Firefox GUI, can work.

Apart from that the install.rdf of the addons selects to which apps it can be installed and is compatible. Dorian merely created a way to override this barrier. So now we can look ourselves what will work for us in K-Meleon 74+. surprised smiley

6.) ?

7.) ?

9.) Try to write school English. You English rely on non native speaking support mostly. I have two GB of RAM - so I like it. This is not browser just for old Canadian machines. grinning smiley

10.) Try extensions: no script and exexceptions. This project is about a browser.

11.) We have moderators for wrong area, so never mind. You have a better chance to get answers in General.

Some of the new popup methods rely on CSS. You'd need rules and filter lists for that. See F2 Content Filters. Activate it and add more rules or filters.

As I said - there are some Firefox addons that alleviate the problem and work for KM.

----------------------------
Whooo crashed a few times to get here, thanks so much for the fast reply

1. Thanks will take a look
2. CTRL+E for search, if I CTRL+T to new tab it defaults to address bar which is fine I can change the DNS to google however to my knowledge there is no shortcut as it is now to reach there if you're all ready on a page.

3. Is funny but flash treats me ok on here, I do want it disabled unless activated however I have issues with it not working on certain sites. Will have to take a look at java, I couldn't activate links on certain pages so was forced to download it and since had a few hic ups this could be the ghost causing my problem thanks for the tip up. Never heard of java manager though, checked the source code and it looks like I can use that site that way so will uninstall java just a security risk anyways.

4. Adds bookmarks, I do this to perserve memory more then anything, though since the new install it crashes when I add a certain amount.

5. Right on thanks again for that

6. NVM when you open a new tab go to specific page rather then about:blank am sure there is a way I can do this in settings or on my own

7. When the screen is moved around to variating sizes the toolbars adjust themselves to fit and become all distorted

8. will do

9. I usually have anywhere between 10 and 50 tabs open at a time, this consumes up to a gig or a gig and a half when idle depending on what is up. Would be nice if the pages could go to sleep or unload when you click off them at a designated interval unless noted otherwise

10. yeah it is about a browser but that's about retriveing the http get request and taking the provided data to formulate the page visually to the user. You wouldn't need programs like ad block if you could just over time through your usage create block list. So an element already not loaded the frame was but you don't want it all together so you can block it and keep the other frames as you do use those one but don't want to keep in memory.

11. Filters, thanks for that I will look around. I don;t like exstentions to a huge degree so that's a nice heads up. Like I really am a new person on the block when it comes to a lot of this stuff, like I did IT security for a few years and by the time I left I was only then starting to get into programing how it all worked from the ground level as I started working my way from the top. Am ordering some hardware and that will sit down with the source code some coffee and a few hundred books and see if I can package a custom copy with what I want to be done. Some of it I have the concept others is in a foreign language so will be something to do in my spare time. And will keep at playing with this copy to make it do what I want to an extent before complining any thing new for daily use. Long way off from that.

Date: February 04, 2015 03:12PM

guenter
confused

confused

1. Pop ups every where
2. ctrl e does't work

2.) This is no editor.

Apart from that the install.rdf of the addons selects to which apps it can be installed and is compatible. Dorian merely created a way to override this barrier. So now we can look ourselves what will work for us in K-Meleon 74+. surprised smiley

6.) ?

7.) ?

----------------------------
Whooo crashed a few times to get here, thanks so much for the fast reply

1. FIXED
2. FIXED

3. FIXED though could you refer me to Java manager ty

4. Will re-install and see if issue still presist

5. FIXED

6. FIXED

7. Same as 8

8. Reported

9. I usually have anywhere between 10 and 50 tabs open at a time, this consumes up to a gig or a gig and a half when idle depending on what is up. Would be nice if the pages could go to sleep or unload when you click off them at a designated interval unless noted otherwise

10. yeah it is about a browser but that's about retriveing the http get request and taking the provided data to formulate the page visually to the user. You wouldn't need programs like ad block if you could just over time through your usage create block list. So an element already not loaded the frame was but you don't want it all together so you can block it and keep the other frames as you do use those one but don't want to keep in memory.

11. Filters, thanks for that I will look around. I don;t like exstentions to a huge degree so that's a nice heads up. Like I really am a new person on the block when it comes to a lot of this stuff, like I did IT security for a few years and by the time I left I was only then starting to get into programing how it all worked from the ground level as I started working my way from the top. Am ordering some hardware and that will sit down with the source code some coffee and a few hundred books and see if I can package a custom copy with what I want to be done. Some of it I have the concept others is in a foreign language so will be something to do in my spare time. And will keep at playing with this copy to make it do what I want to an extent before complining any thing new for daily use. Long way off from that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 06:48PM by guenter.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 04, 2015 06:54PM

JavaScript and Java by Sun/Oracle are two things. Just to make sure that You know.

No idea whether You can make tabs sleep.

That is an item for Improvement Requests.

p.s. You usually get an answer within a day here in General - if anyone knows a thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 07:06PM by guenter.

Posted by: jopower
Date: February 26, 2015 10:18AM

By your query, I believe you may have more problems than may be due to the operation of K-Meleon. Getting to the bottom of those 1st might solve SOME of these and help many other things on your PC in the bargan.:cool:

As a tech, I'd advise the following maintainence some time SOON. Typically the 1st two will run an hour or so each while you watch TV or eat dinner. Turn off your sleep-suspend-hybernate (usually in "Power Settings") and screen saver ("Display" or "Graphics") before beginning to prevent interuptions:

Do a FULL scan for virus on your PC if you haven't this month. Make sure your PC OS and AVware are up to date and that you are using a decent AV program (not the Windows version if you can help it, but if that's what ya got it'll have to do). If a FULL "boot time scan" is availible, do it.

Do a FULL scan for malware on your PC. My pref would be Malwarebytes (free version is fine).

Next check the installed programs list for junk programs (like browser toolbars and media players) that may've snuck in over time. These are often leaches that constantly call home for updates in the background and bring in new bugs. Some uninstalls will try to call home to ask you why you removed their glorious program. Close any browser window that opens without answering them. Another "quick" virus and malware scan isn't a bad idea if this happens. Lastly, I would reboot if the uninstalls didn't do it themselves.

After this is done, it's geek time! Install the free versions of Piriform's CCleaner or Glary utilities (be sure you avoid posers for these excellent utils and don't accidentally install any hitchhiker programs on the setup). For each run the drive cleaner and the registry repair functions and pay attention to the options selection before beginning. If offered to backup old registry, allow program to do so. 1st time runs always take longer than subsequent runs (5-15 minutes typically). Both CCleaner and Glary will also help uninstall programs (some of which may not be listed by the OS install list). If you do remove any, run the registry cleaner again. Before closing, check the PC startup editing tools each provides. Sometimes you'll be surprised what's trying to start when you push the big button (Ahha! There's those pesky Flash and Java update commands!!!) However, be careful what you stop! Use the disable before the delete option if you can. All this is hands-on so it's not dinner time.

Finally, it's not a bad idea to back up and defrag the drive(s). This will take a while if you haven't done it regularly (if ever). Yes, you can do the turkey now.

Reenable your sleep-suspend-hybernate (usually in "Power Settings") and screen saver ("Display" or "Graphics") settings and you are done.

90% of the time, this sequence of actions will help every machine noticably run better for everything. Now see how KM is running.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 10:27AM by jopower.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.