General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Using KM as a help engine
Posted by: Richard Hart
Date: February 13, 2015 01:43PM

I have an old app (my own) and I need to update the help. It used to run on the old Winhelp, but I want to bring it all up to date. I've converted the content to Html. KM seems ideal for me to call to display my help locally, and later possibly from the web.

1) What I want is for my app to load KM, but specifying not just the URL, which I know it can do, but also an anchor (like #subsection) within the loaded file.

When I call CreateProcess, or just use a command line, like

d:\pathname\k-meleon.exe helpfile.html#anchor

then KM reports that the URL can't be found. Without the #anchor it's fine, and
I can edit #anchor onto the end of the URL in the address bar and it finds it correctly.

2) I'm not asking for KM to stay resident till my app closes it, taking subsequent exec calls as commands to load alternative URLs/anchors, though that would be nice.

3) If there's a way to do this already, I can't find it. If there isn't, it would seem to me to be a sensible enhancement.

Thanks for all the good work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using KM as a help engine
Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 13, 2015 02:38PM

This seems to work for me.

Path to KM -new "URL"

Actual example of a working shortcut:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon75b3\k-meleon.exe" -new "file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/K-Meleon75b3/browser/res/localdocs/macrolanguage.htm#global"

Posted by: siria
Date: February 13, 2015 07:09PM

Can't help with the anchors, sorry.
Just another hint, in F2>Browsing, Tab "Window Diversion" is a dropdown field. There you can define how "URLs passed from external applications" shall be opened. Either in the current tab or a new tab etc. This should apply if no "-new" is used in the command line.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 13, 2015 10:08PM

The "#global" in my example is an anchor. The -new is optional. The quotes around the URL are not.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.