General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Spacebar key for Page Down
Posted by: Rainbow
Date: February 14, 2015 06:04PM

I noticed that the Spacebar key now is interpreted as a findasyoutype input (Quick search) and locates a space in the page. Is this supposed to be? Old versions would always Page Down when you hit Space. When did this get changed? I'm using 74.

How would I revert to using Spacebar for Page Down? I don't see a PageDown function in the commands list.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spacebar key for Page Down
Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 15, 2015 02:15AM

The token "vk_space" does not appear in accel.cfg in KM 75, nor is it listed in the Quick Reference.

It either has to be defined in the binary or is a Windows definition.

I do not have a 74 on my laptop for checking there.

Posted by: siria
Date: February 15, 2015 12:53PM

Looks like a dev taks for me.
Certainly wouldn't want to disable the normal space character on all occasions smiling smiley

PS @James: just playing with forum functions, do you see a test PM when clicking on "private messages"?

Date: February 15, 2015 01:53PM

@ siria

Yes

Date: February 16, 2015 05:55AM

Thanks for mentioning that "vk_space" is unavailable at the moment. What about the Page Down function itself? Where is that defined?

Date: February 16, 2015 02:22PM

I don't know where or how to define "page down." Just to try something, I started my IE and found that the space bar did a page down there and a tab key took me to top of page.

We could ask Dorian to make Command IDs for page down and top of page, but he is very busy and these items would not be of high priority.

I wonder if we could inject(JS) into the page to do these functions?

Date: February 16, 2015 04:15PM

I have a js somewhere to scroll with mousegestures, guess was about half a line. But doubt that would help anything to scroll via spacebar. This accel must be set to work only outside of input fields, which I doubt we could do. I really think it's some native windows function.
But until that's fixed, why not use the normal page up/down keys on the keyboard?

Date: February 17, 2015 11:42AM

siria
This accel must be set to work only outside of input fields, which I doubt we could do. I really think it's some native windows function.
But until that's fixed, why not use the normal page up/down keys on the keyboard?

I certainly could, but it has become habit to use the spacebar, especially since on laptops it is right above the mousepad. So, in practice it's nice that you don't have to move your hand or repeatedly look for the correct key.

JamesD
Just to try something, I started my IE and found that the space bar did a page down there and a tab key took me to top of page.

Also consider that spacebar paging is a universal shortcut in pretty much all browsers, so its absence is strange. See this comparison table. Look for Move Down 1 Screen which is Spacebar and Move Up One Screen which is Shift+Spacebar. They're located in section NAVIGATION KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS, subsection Navigate within page (scrolling).

JamesD
We could ask Dorian to make Command IDs for page down and top of page, but he is very busy and these items would not be of high priority.

I agree this isn't paramount, but I guess I'm curious why it is broken/removed. Spacebar paging worked fine in KM 1.6 Beta 2. So what happened? Could it be Gecko related?

Not only that but it cooperates with Quick Search by letting you type phrases with spaces. Siria, you mentioned an accel conflict with input fields, but Quick Search doesn't use an input field (unless it's hidden), unlike Firefox which does. Since Quick Search is invoked by typing (sort of an accel in itself) and can also be switched off, are you saying that conditional use of an accel during program operation is only hard-coded?

Date: February 17, 2015 12:23PM

It sure is just another bug having to do with the new gecko engines. Dorian has already struggled a lot to get all the broken things working again in KM, incl. the find-as-you-type functions, but not everything could be fixed yet. Mozilla has made it damn hard, they don't seem to want to support other gecko-browsers anymore.
You might want to mention this prob in the announcement thread for 75beta3, if it's still broken there, perhaps it gets more attention there.

But I cannot really imagine that us hobby macrowriters can do much about it, nor find workarounds, unless you find some workaround in the web. Because it's not a shortcut that shall work all the time, but only in specific situations.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 17, 2015 01:11PM

Just one way to 'solve':

press F4 to switch FAYT off - and Space starts to make PgDown. If FAYT gets needed - press F4 again.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: February 18, 2015 07:57PM

Will be fixed next release

Date: February 19, 2015 12:21AM

Thank you Dorian.

Date: February 19, 2015 12:22AM

rodocop
Just one way to 'solve':

press F4 to switch FAYT off - and Space starts to make PgDown. If FAYT gets needed - press F4 again.

That is probably the best that can be done until it's fixed. Given the purpose of FAYT, I can't say it is ever unwanted, but what am I going to do, right? Thank you rodocop.

F4 isn't assigned to FAYT by default I see, so I will need to assign it. Maybe I should assign "/" instead. Then it will operate as if I had FAYT Autostart disabled. I don't know the status of FAYT in 75 Beta 3, but I presume it is known already that the toggles for Autostart and Links Only don't work in 74. The checkmarks are OK, just not the functionality. I also find that typing the last letter of your search doesn't cycle instances as described in the documentation:

K-Meleon User's Guide and Reference Manual
Normally, this only searches links; type a "/" character first to search through all text. To find the next instance of your search, either type Ctrl-G, F3, or the last letter of your search (unless there is a match that includes the repeated letter, in which case it will go there first). Shift-Ctrl-G or Shift-F3 will find the previous instance.

As an example of this, suppose that you're in a web page that contains links with the words "could", "coanda effect", "cool", and "coxwain" in them. Typing "co" with the cursor at the beginning of the page will select the "could" link, typing an additional "o" (making "coo") will bring the cursor to "cool", and typing "o" additional times will cycle through all four of the links.

In previous versions, when FAYT is working as it is supposed to without my "/" accel defined, I am still confused about how to search text instead of links when Autostart is disabled. It would seem there is a conflict. Since I normally have to type a "/" to start FAYT, how do I also type a "/" to temporarily change from links to text. Won't the latter be ignored?

Date: February 19, 2015 11:30AM

Rainbow
F4 isn't assigned to FAYT by default I see, so I will need to assign it.

Yes, it's old hotkey from 1.6. Used to be ;-)

Rainbow
I don't know the status of FAYT in 75 Beta 3, but I presume it is known already that the toggles for Autostart and Links Only don't work in 74. The checkmarks are OK, just not the functionality.

'Search Links Only' switching needs restart of KM in order to work. (And it should be fixed to change behaviour instantly, as for me)

I think it refers to 'Autostart' also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 11:31AM by rodocop.

Date: February 19, 2015 05:56PM

rodocop
Yes, it's old hotkey from 1.6. Used to be ;-)

I checked the config files and docs for 1.6 Beta 2 and 1.5.4. I still am missing it. Are you sure?

Do you mean an unofficial 1.6, such as JamesD's 1.6 Beta 2.6? Can't verify with that one since it crashes as soon as I start it, even before a window appears. "Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module xpcom_core.dll, version 1.9.1.4192, fault address 0x00001271".

rodocop
'Search Links Only' switching needs restart of KM in order to work. (And it should be fixed to change behaviour instantly, as for me)

I think it refers to 'Autostart' also.

Well, it works instantly and near perfectly in 1.6 Beta 2. The behavior in 74 is strange. I disabled 'Autostart', restarted and it still searched immediately. Trying the 'Links Only' enabled after restarting proved to be confusing. As soon as I used the momentary toggle key for 'Links Only', KM didn't remember the original setting for use later on. I sure hope these are bugs and not gotchas.

Date: February 19, 2015 06:32PM

Rainbow
I checked the config files and docs for 1.6 Beta 2 and 1.5.4. I still am missing it. Are you sure?

I really have no glue now where it came from ;-) But it's so accustomed to me!

Rainbow
Well, it works instantly and near perfectly in 1.6 Beta 2. The behavior in 74 is strange. I disabled 'Autostart', restarted and it still searched immediately.

In KM 1.6 it requred restart if FAYT was off on load and you switch it on.
And 74 goes deeper into this bug grinning smiley

Now FAYT switches on/off without restart but options switching is buggy.

These are native Firefox preferences, so it isn't not so easy to make them be obedient here in KM tongue sticking out smiley

little list of scamps:
accessibility.typeaheadfind - switches instantly
accessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart - doesn't work
accessibility.typeaheadfind.linksonly - needs restart
accessibility.typeaheadfind.startlinksonly - works instantly but has no switcher in KM GUI sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 06:55PM by rodocop.

Date: February 19, 2015 06:53PM

Just in case you need macro names for creating own shortcuts, they are
pref_ToggleTAF
pref_ToggleTAFAuto
pref_ToggleTAFLinks

Date: February 19, 2015 06:58PM

siria,
you think they would work properly?

In-built menu items are switching their prefs as they should already; but only prefs - not real functions in 2 cases of 3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 06:58PM by rodocop.

Date: February 19, 2015 07:33PM

That's just the identic macros as used in the menu.
So they do the same, just toggle the prefs, no more.
I remember Dorian did already struggle a lot to get FAYT working again with the new gecko, seems a very tricky thing.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.