General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
lost my favorites tab
Posted by: brad
Date: November 29, 2008 06:02PM

It just disappeared this morning. I did a regular shut down last night and when I opened my browser this morning the tab just wasn't up there. I seem to recall this happening once before and it was a really simple fix. But I can't find it in again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lost my favorites tab
Posted by: brad
Date: November 29, 2008 06:09PM

Sorry, I posted and then noticed the topic right below me. But I read it and my question still is a bit different. I did not do a fresh install. I do not use IE. Frankly, I cannot remember what the tab is called now because I just reflexively call them 'favorites' but it may be that I'm missing the 'bookmarks' tab up there. I'm missing the kmeleon standard tab up there in any case that you click on to save link to the current page. It was there last night. I made no changes or modifications, and it is not there today. I don't think I lost bookmarks, as the other thread seems to be focused on.. the tab just disappeared.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 30, 2008 07:34AM

brad
Sorry, I posted and then noticed the topic right below me.

the tab just disappeared.

On the screenshot I made for bookmarks - the same menu exists for favorites.

Edit > Preferences > Toolbars > Favorites Bar - You might have unchecked something.
Else activate favorites plugin - You might have deactivated. Some settings become active at next start.

Posted by: doris b kutz
Date: January 01, 2010 01:03PM

please tell me how to retrieve it

Posted by: siria
Date: January 01, 2010 01:46PM

Two possibilities:

Either you have disabled the plugin or changed something in the configuration, then check here:
Edit>Preferences (or Shortcut F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins -> "Netscape Bookmarks" or "IE Favorites" or "Opera Hotlist".
For each there are lots of options on various tabs, incl. one to show the links from a specific (sub)folder as a "bar" in the skin.

Or you have just accidentally hidden this toolbar, then check in View -> Toolbars -> Favorites or Bookmarks or Hotlist

Theoretically there's a third possibility that you changed something in the toolbars.cfg in the skin folder, but doing this you'd probably notice, not quite so easy to "accidentally" change things there ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2010 01:49PM by siria.

Posted by: leon eshelman
Date: July 19, 2011 12:06AM

Tried to install an update from windows. Update did not finalize. The computer shut down. When it came back on the favorits tab was gone.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 19, 2011 10:17PM

leon eshelman
1.) Tried to install an update from windows. Update did not finalize. The computer shut down.

2.) When it came back on the favorits tab was gone.

1.) Amounts to a crash probably with skandisk run.

2.) Amounts to a profile info loss. Cannot find Your personal prefs because a new profile was created.

In Your case You will only need to press F2 - IE Favorite and configure it to Your liking again. The favorites' URLs are used by IE as well so unless the update did nor damage them they are still there.

New profile usually does not mean that the old data are damaged.
Where to find bookmarks and other data.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,115632,115924#msg-115924

Once You located the old profile You can copy its content files to You new profile folder. Work after You backup all profiles first. That can be used to regain all settings without much tinkering via F2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2011 10:18PM by guenter.

Posted by: lar aylward
Date: November 17, 2011 11:52AM

doris b kutz
please tell me how to retrieve it

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.