General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
I find this distrubing
Posted by: phenix
Date: November 04, 2011 12:13PM

I have found no Browser better than K-Meleon.
I simply hate Firefox. Bloatware to the extreme.

On the Wilders site - software, hardware & general services, Other software
& services, K-Meleon Browser, they talk about K-Meleon being dead or soon to be
dead. I have a real problem with this. Can you all please ease my mind about
this article? Do I have to go through the agony of trying to find another
browser. Ie8 - oh my god.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I find this distrubing
Posted by: Valensina
Date: November 21, 2011 06:15PM

I can only agree but not ease your mind. K-Meleon is the browser I like best - perhaps since Netscape. I have just tested Midori, it is less annoying than IE and the others but still not good enough. As long as it is safe to use K-Meleon I'll stick to it. But is it safe?

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 21, 2011 08:27PM

Valensina
I can only agree but not ease your mind. K-Meleon is the browser I like best - perhaps since Netscape. I have just tested Midori, it is less annoying than IE and the others but still not good enough. As long as it is safe to use K-Meleon I'll stick to it. But is it safe?

Valensina,

I ran Secunia PSI 2 and it said that K-Meleon 1.6 beta 2 was still safe... I would very much like to run a full-featured K-Meleon 1.7, but the alpha is not ready for prime time. Fred's variation (uses KM 1.5.4 k-plugins, KM 1.6 files and the KM 1.7 executable) works fairly well, with some issues...

Hope that the developers will finish off K-Meleon 1.6 beta 3 and work on a K-Meleon 1.7, but I have no inside info on whether or not that will happen.

Hope this helps.

N

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 22, 2011 06:27PM

phenix,
take it easy!

KM is not heavily developed as many others, but it still very usable in versions KM 1.6 and 1.7 (they have some small limitations - each theirselves own, but being used together - in parallel - they can handle 99,9% of www).

So it seems that today's KM will remain actual at least for next year and we can expect that developers will make new version during this period.

Don't panic and don't fear to use new KM remixes!

Most usable are
for 1.6:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/fred/KM-16-S2014.zip by Fred
http://home.dbdbdugbug.operaunite.com/Projects/content/KMFILES/K-Meleon_1.6/K-Meleon-1.6.1db+.7z by dugbug

for 1.7:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/fred/KM-16-F3624.zip by Fred
http://home.dbdbdugbug.operaunite.com/Projects/content/KMFILES/K-Meleon_1.7/K-Meleon-1.7.8db+.7z by dugbug

Date: November 22, 2011 08:25PM

rodocop
phenix,
take it easy!

KM is not heavily developed as many others, but it still very usable in versions KM 1.6 and 1.7 (they have some small limitations - each theirselves own, but being used together - in parallel - they can handle 99,9% of www).

So it seems that today's KM will remain actual at least for next year and we can expect that developers will make new version during this period.

Don't panic and don't fear to use new KM remixes!

rodocop,

Not familiar with these sites or the files? Also, trying to go to these two sites hung up K-Meleon 1.6beta 2 until I used Ctrl Alt Del to kill the process. Opening in other browsers gave me languages that they did not interpret.

P.S. Firefox 8, Opera and Iron failed to load this site, however Firefox 3.6.24 was able.

N

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 04:50AM by ndebord.

Date: November 22, 2011 09:09PM

ndebord,
I'm not sure I understand you post properly.

Visiting this links hangs your KM 1.6b2? Right?
And other browsers seem to have problems there?

What can I say...
I haven't any problem with current links even with 1.5.x
I particularly wonder about Opera cause this is Opera hosted file sharing project "Opera Unite".

O! Seems like I understood!
These are direct links to 7z-archive files (packed KM portable installations) and they open in browser as text instead of open/save dialog appearance.

Just point your browsers to upper dir
http://home.dbdbdugbug.operaunite.com/Projects/content/KMFILES/
and look into folders "K-Meleon_1.6" and "K-Meleon_1.7"

There will be short lists of downloadable files - pointing on K-Meleon-1.6.1db+.7z or K-Meleon-1.7.8db+.7z respectively will show link to download (to the right of the filename) - click it and get it!

It's worth noting that these remixes still need slight workaround for proper work but it's very easy.

I'll open new thread devoted to dugbug's KMs as I found them most usable now for myself and think - for average KM user too.

Date: November 23, 2011 04:11AM

rodocop
ndebord,
I'm not sure I understand you post properly.

Visiting this links hangs your KM 1.6b2? Right?
And other browsers seem to have problems there?

What can I say...
I haven't any problem with current links even with 1.5.x
I particularly wonder about Opera cause this is Opera hosted file sharing project "Opera Unite".

O! Seems like I understood!
These are direct links to 7z-archive files (packed KM portable installations) and they open in browser as text instead of open/save dialog appearance.

Just point your browsers to upper dir
http://home.dbdbdugbug.operaunite.com/Projects/content/KMFILES/
and look into folders "K-Meleon_1.6" and "K-Meleon_1.7"

There will be short lists of downloadable files - pointing on K-Meleon-1.6.1db+.7z or K-Meleon-1.7.8db+.7z respectively will show link to download (to the right of the filename) - click it and get it!

It's worth noting that these remixes still need slight workaround for proper work but it's very easy.

I'll open new thread devoted to dugbug's KMs as I found them most usable now for myself and think - for average KM user too.

rodocop,

LIGHTBULB!!!

Gotcha... perhaps you could edit your earlier posts so others also go up one level on the site, making it a 2 click download.

Who is dugbug? May I ask, as I am not familiar with that handle?

N

Date: November 23, 2011 09:02AM

ndebord
Gotcha... perhaps you could edit your earlier posts so others also go up one level on the site, making it a 2 click download.

I'm preparing new thread post about dugbug's remixes so it will be correct.

ndebord
Who is dugbug? May I ask, as I am not familiar with that handle?

I just know he is one of our community members known here as dugbugoffice or dugbugoffice2.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.