General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Updates
Posted by: Billy2015
Date: February 21, 2015 01:35PM

I installed k-meleon yesterday and this morning i opened k-meleon and a popup opened up that basically required me to update k-meleon and it did not give me a option to not update k-meleon. I also noticed i have a US version of k-meleon what is the difference between a US version and a UK version etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Updates
Posted by: siria
Date: February 21, 2015 01:54PM

Cannot imagine. Perhaps a fake. Where exactly did you download that?
And which version?

Then again, perhaps you just downloaded an old version somewhere, then it would really check and politely *notice* you of available updates, but never force anything.
That checker plugin can also be disabled in F2/K-Meleon Plugins > Update

=> better download it again from the download link on the left side here. Current official version is KM74. A new version KM75RC is already announced to come soon.

en-US is the default language. There are only a few language versions for KM and they are listed on the download page. en-US is basically =en, there is no UK version, would be rather overkill.

There are only different *spellchecking* dictionaries out there, those differentiate between US/UK, but those are for all browsers, not specifially for KM.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 02:07PM by siria.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 21, 2015 02:20PM

Billy,
there is an option for autoupdate.
app.update.enable

Type about:config in URLbar, agree with prompt and when it opens find this pref by search (type 'app.update' into search field)
look for the line
app.update.enable __ default __ boolean __ true
and double-click it to toggle, setting it to false

If you want it as default setting for all new profiles - find file [K-Meleon Folder]\browser\defaults\preferences\kmeleon.js
open it with any UTF-8 text editor and then find&replace line
pref('app.update.enable', true);
with
pref('app.update.enable', false);

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 02:25PM by rodocop.

Date: February 21, 2015 03:47PM

Boah, now you really shocked me there for a moment!!
A forced update would be an absolute NO GO.
Looked it up in the web now:
of course it's a native gecko pref again.
BUT: in the KM default sheets it's set "false"!
So my world is ok again grinning smiley At least it's not intentional.

But the KM prefs contain a typo:
app.update.enable

At the end the "d" is missing!

So that pref has a wrong name and does nothing.
And in that case perhaps a native gecko setting kicks in again and acts like upates were enabled?
Now wonder what actions it would actually execute in that case in KM??

Date: February 21, 2015 03:56PM

Great, now googled a bit more and found this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1003777

There seem to be 3 prefs, that all must be adjusted to avoid automatic updates? Man, Mozilla really uses all tricks to kick users against their will sad smiley

app.update.auto - false
app.update.enabled - false
app.update.silent - false

My oh my... should have read to the end first.
Half a year later there was another post, that the prefs alone didn't help anymore!

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1003777
...when you get that message that there is an update and it ask you to re-start so it can be updated, just go to the program files where firefox is installed you will find a folder named updated ... delete it .... and the you can close firefox and open it again and you will get an error message that the update failed ....

then i uninstalled the maintenance service, and deleted files maintenanceservice and maintenanceservice_installer from firefox mozilla folder ... also renamed updater.exe to updater.exe.old .... and now firefox never forced to update anymore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 04:04PM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 21, 2015 05:40PM

@Billy, in the preferences panel and K-meleon plugins section, just untick the update plugin.

@Siria, I don't have such problem with updates and Firefox, you just disable it from Options panel (Advanced>Update) and nothing else happens anymore.

Date: February 22, 2015 11:37AM

siria,
let me shock you once again! tongue sticking out smiley

app.update.enabled - is the Mozilla's native pref

but K-Meleon in last builds has its own updater pref:

app.update.enable

Date: February 22, 2015 11:59AM

Guess only Dorian knows what happens exactly, and what that prefs-confusion does or not.
But I just can't imagine *forced* updates for KM, not for versions downloaded here directly, at least not intentional.

Did that happen to you too?? That sure would have been mentioned once or twice if everyone gets it, no?

Date: February 22, 2015 02:51PM

Dorian added updater at the 74 release (or RC?) stage.

So there are numerous postings throughout the forum about update messages.

Date: February 22, 2015 03:57PM

Yeah I've seen those, but thought those were just the normal INFO notices.
As they were in the past à la "There's a new KM version out. Want to download it? Yes/No".
No one mentioned anything about *forced* updates that couldn't be stopped or I've overlooked it.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 23, 2015 07:11PM

rodocop
Dorian added updater at the 74 release (or RC?) stage.

So there are numerous postings throughout the forum about update messages.

Yes they were issued from updated 74. There was something with the updater.

siria,

first poster
opened up that basically required me to update k-meleon and it did not give me a option to not update k-meleon.

What do You make of that?

Posted by: Mark
Date: January 05, 2022 03:12PM

Please can you upgrade your browsers because most site says the browser is an old version thank you

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 05, 2022 06:33PM

Please, avoid bumping an almost 7 years old thread that is barely related with your concerns. Open a new thread if you need it.

Some sites are just wrong, some aren't, but try to keep up to date with the download offered in the thread linked in the front page or the own highlighted in the forum front page.

Also, when you write about specific issues, please, provide your K-meleon version/build OS, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 06:34PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.