General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Please help; how to do some things ??
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: March 07, 2015 06:49PM

Hi Folks.
K-Meleon is great to start with, very light while remaining functional and quite pleasing to the eyes.

The visual aspect of it is important to me as I have a strange visual/perceptual impairment wherein too much graphic and/or intense stuff is very difficult for me to see; so the plain, 'classic', square, unadorned style of K-Meleon (so much like the original browsers !!) is one that I can actually see & read quite well.

To add to the goodness of it, I would also like to make some customizations in the v74 that I am using.
Sadly, I find myself unable to find either how to make these or even if such are possible.

Hopefully the nice folks here will point me in the right directions ??

My queries=>

Has anyone here gotten these Firefox extensions to work (or done similar via other means):
- Custom Buttons, which allows making and adding buttons easily;
- NoUN Buttons, which is back/forward with dropdowns for recent pages;
- TotalToolbar, which allows creating/moving toolbars& toolbar items;
- YARIP, which allows one to block/remove elements in web pages.

I see in other threads here that extensions which affect the GUI do not work, so I am hoping there are easy enough ways for me to make some custom buttons and modify the toolbars, and specifically to start with=>

How to change the icons in any/all toolbars to words only, please ??

Where/how to place the directories kmextensions, styles & chrome - as seen inside various 7z archives for plug-ins found here ??
(I found a page with folder locations and some make no sense a'tall visually, to me...is there another page someplace which just shows the folder tree instead of all the dots ?!)

I have searched the forum for these and other things (perhaps not well enough ??); if there are threads about the above that I've missed, would someone be kind enough to point me to them please ?? Thanks.

Just to be clear:
When it comes to such things as CSS and other coding things I am at a total & sincere loss...such stuff is about as clear to me as mud.

Thanks for any help & pointers !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help; how to do some things ??
Posted by: siria
Date: March 07, 2015 08:33PM

Hmmm... I doubt that all that is possible...
And probably not easy with your eyesight probs. Because customizing and adding KM toolbars requires that you edit text files, no drag-n-drop possible. But perhaps lets just try...

- NoUN Buttons, which is back/forward with dropdowns for recent pages;

Did you know you can RIGHT-CLICK on LOTS of KM-buttons to see a menu? The left-forward buttons will show the history of the current tab. But only of this one tab. Sorry, for more you'll need to use the normal history function.

----------
Now lets try ALL TEXT buttons. Luckily you are on KM74 yet, that means the default skin is a lot easier to change as in KM75.
How well do you find your way around computers? Navigate to the K-Meleon folder, where you installed it. There is a folder for SKINS inside. Each skin has an own subfolder in it. Make a copy of your current skin folder (probably still "AuraAlpha"?). Name the new folder as you wish, MySkin for example. Inside is a file "toolbars.cfg". Open it with a text editor like notepad (or better notepad2 or notepad++). See the lines with image names in it, e.g. "mainbarhot.bmp[0]" ? Disable EACH of those bmp-lines with a comment # sign at the beginning and save the file again.

Now set the button width. All buttons inside 1 toolbar must have the same size. The size is defined after every TOOLBAR name, or empty for default 16x16 buttons. But you need them much wider. It depends on your system font size for menus. You can only try and see what size fits best. Add after every toolbar name a size, e.g.
&Main Bar(60,16){
Mail/&News Buttons(60,16){
&Zoom Buttons(50,16){
ect.

Save again, and now you can choose that new skin in the open browser. Press F2>GUI (first at top). There is a dropdown field to choose the skin. Choose your new one. Exit the browser and restart.
In theory this should work... :cool: But may first look like a mess, no idea. The button width may need more adjustements.
And there may be a few buttons left which are created by macros. Those are changed differently and more difficult.

----------
As for EXTENSIONS/macros with 7z-files and folder structure, it's not really necessary to know the locations yourself, because the files should automatically drop into the right places when unzipping the whole thing into the KM TOP folder.
The only prob, since KM74, the mozilla engine has a subfolder named "browser", containing the new "defaults/preferences" folder, which replaces the old "defaults/pref" folder. So after unzipping older extensions/macros, you will have to move those pref-files manually into the new folder.
And probably also the old KM/chrome folder into KM/browser/chrome, but am not quite sure of that one...

If you'll get that far and still want to continue with KM, we could try more step by step. But am afraid not all your requests are fully possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 08:41PM by siria.

Re: Please help; how to do some things ??
Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 07, 2015 09:00PM

Sorry, but K-Meleon has a little to satisfy you here.

Its GUI is completely different from Firefox one. So interface-related FF-extensions cannot be adapted for KM as rule.

Also we have no visual tool to edit toolbars - just config files.

And sadly there is no universal answer about KM-extensions: as the folder structure of browser was changed between 1.7 and 74 branches, some extensions had lost compatibility with new version (as installation process was simply unpacking files in corresponding folders).

So there are many 'types' of KM-extensions by content (I wrote about this a little).

Some simple extensions, containing only macros [and 3rd party tools, integrated by macros] work in KM74-75 the same way as in old builds. So they could be used as is (taken from KM Extensions Central, for example).
But others need some manual adaptation in folder structure of extension and manifest files. Some of them now are one by one replaced by native FF-xpi extensions, with an interface adaptation (button or menu item) taken from the corresponding old KM-extension (we speak about macros).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.