General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Proxy macros
Posted by: siria
Date: March 12, 2015 11:38PM

Yogi
A wish of mine was that some day toggling proxies will become a default item of the PrivBar.

Definitely mine too. And I haven't given up hope yet, especially not right now while Dorian is working so hard on it.

Yogi
It seems that there is only a very small number of users who are using a proxy. Two regulars of this forum is pretty little.

That's 2 out of 6-10, makes 25% :cool: grinning smiley

Yogi
Nonetheless it would make sense perhaps to add this macro to the MacroLibrary.
You would be the right person for it.

I doubt you'd really want that :cool: because if it's not native in KM75, but separate and optional, then I would want an automatic button in it again, so that people don't need to bother with editing cfg-files. And I also would want the network types 4+5 in it. Therefore, if it would be me to upload, then I'd just grab the long since finished ProxTog2, which already has those two points...

But still hoping that Dorian might include the privbar-button in KM75...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Needing help from Macro writers (once again)
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 12, 2015 11:59PM

Yogi
siria
But perhaps add a comment near the header somewhere how to *create* the button, that is must be done manually via toolbars.cfg. Because usually macros that toggle buttons also create them themselves, so this might get confusing to later users not aware of this thread and may use other skins ;-)
(and I'm still not convinced that toggling back would work also for types 4+5 :coolsmiling smiley

A wish of mine was that some day toggling proxies will become a default item of the PrivBar.
However upon reflection, there are some problems with that.
It seems that there is only a very small number of users who are using a proxy. Two regulars of this forum is pretty little.
Wonder how many users would use this item anyway, even if shipped by default in the PrivBar. Since it isn't a widely used setting, it should be commented out by default in toolbars.cfg. Many users don't even use the PrivBar while average users who never visit this forum might not even notice about its existence.
Probably there won't be many later users using this feature.
Nonetheless it would make sense perhaps to add this macro to the MacroLibrary.
You would be the right person for it. After all without your help it wouldn't become workable anytime soon. smiling smiley

As for testing if toggling back would work also for types 4+5, I can't. I've never used the WPAD protocol.

I use a proxy, only for tests, but I don't complicate things like you do.

I just have a button I had to create in a custom toolbar (my own skin) to toggle; and even I use the older macros from 0.x 1.x (PrivacySync) it works like a charm.

If I haven't said anything here is because you tend to create buttons with macros (what I'm not skilled at all; when I need a button or a menu I do manually, I don't automate it) and because you are using multiple proxies. I just use one and not very often, only for testing purposes. So with that button to change the type from 1 and 0, and vice versa, I'm quite pleased.

This afternoon I thought of posting my macros, but are as simple as what I'm talking about. Just a few lines to toggle the network.proxy.type preference.

Between the macro files formatting, that I go my own way, and the lack of knowledge I have of buttons and menus created by macros, I just read you without much attention. As Siria has said before I posted this I'm one of those who prefer to edit the cfg :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 12:19AM by JohnHell.

Re: Proxy macros
Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 13, 2015 02:03AM

siria
I doubt you'd really want that :cool: because if it's not native in KM75, but separate and optional, then I would want an automatic button in it again, so that people don't need to bother with editing cfg-files. And I also would want the network types 4+5 in it. Therefore, if it would be me to upload, then I'd just grab the long since finished ProxTog2, which already has those two points...

Don't take me for more selfish than I really am. grinning smiley
I fully agree that a macro/extension which does the job automatically is most convenient for most users.
ProxyTog2 and Proxy2 by desga2 which I've used till now would be for most users the better option.

siria
But still hoping that Dorian might include the privbar-button in KM75...

I don't know what to say. See my post above. However if he decides to include it, it will be rather soonest in Km76...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 02:04AM by Yogi.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 13, 2015 02:16AM

JohnHell
I use a proxy, only for tests, but I don't complicate things like you do.

I just have a button I had to create in a custom toolbar (my own skin) to toggle; and even I use the older macros from 0.x 1.x (PrivacySync) it works like a charm.

If I haven't said anything here is because you tend to create buttons with macros (what I'm not skilled at all; when I need a button or a menu I do manually, I don't automate it) and because you are using multiple proxies. I just use one and not very often, only for testing purposes. So with that button to change the type from 1 and 0, and vice versa, I'm quite pleased.

Basically I always try to find a compromise between as simple as possible and my personal need.
I'm using now Km without any extension and with some of the macros shipped by default disabled.

I asked for the proxy button for the PrivBar because the toolbar is already there, by default. The needed macro is also almost completely there, by default.
I thought that a few lines of code added to proxy.kmm can't harm. It works now with Km-75b3u3 full well.
BTW, my PrivBar is quite short. It has only 5 buttons in use.

In Firefox and Opera Presto the proxy button I use must be something similar to what you're using. However the right-click menu option I have in Km comes very handy if you are using more than one proxy and want to switch between them on the fly. I'm using a local filtering proxy and sometimes a SOCKS proxy.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 14, 2015 08:18AM

I think Proxy will be more popular, if connect it with functionality of some web filters or anti-restrictors like Privoxy or Ultrasurf, working as proxies.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.