General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Relative paths
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: April 24, 2015 03:14PM

I am a new (enthusiastic) K-Meleon user.

One of my first experiences ... and questions:

The bookmark/favorite system of K-Meleon is maybe a very smart one, but not easy to understand for a newbie. I decided to use the Netscape / bookmarks.html option, with my own bookmarks file located in my user folder in Profiles. This seems to work fine for me, but:

The bookmarks file is defined with an absolute path, so if the portable app K-Meleon is used "portably", e.g. if the drive letter changes, K-Meleon doesn't find the bookmarks file.

Or is there a apossibility to define a relative path?

Thank you very much in advance for your replays.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Relative paths
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 24, 2015 03:29PM

If you haven't set another file, despite what the preferences panels says, it is actually relative.

It just takes the default location, that it is in the profile folder.

As I said, unless you tell an absolute path to override the default.

Of course, you can restore the default later.

Date: April 24, 2015 03:54PM

Thank you very much for your useful information, JohnHell!!!

I see now, the default location is "portable".

However, I am confused again: Adding new bookmarks seems not to work. The bookmark is added to the bookmark toolbar, but the URL links the bookmark to the user folder, not to a www address. What am I doing wrong???

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 24, 2015 05:37PM

Servus, unless You chose portable at setup the file is in Windows ./user name/ APPDATA/K-Meleon/random_name. The folder's location depends on Windows version.

If You chose portable the file is in ./K-Meleon/profiles/random_name.

The later can be copied with the K-Meleon folder to any location.
Any non portable K-Meleon can find ./user name APPDATA/K-Meleon/random name...

In both cases the paths are relative, unless You changed something manually.
And You can have more than one Profile.

The bookmark is shown in the bookmarks toobar if that is active.
But it is added to bookmarks.html.

Unless it is in the file - it will be lost on restart.

If a bookmark is lost it is usually due to lack of writing privileges.

p.s. Die Profile haben intern immer relative Pfade, außer du hast was händisch geändert. Es gibt aber zwei Möglichkeiten, wo ein Profil sein kann.

Wo wirklich entscheidest du bei der Installation des Browsers. Ein Portabler hat sie nicht im Standart Windows verzeichnis, sondern in seinem eigenen Installationsverzeichnis. Nicht portable finden das Windows Profile Verzeichnis. Man kann bei beiden Fällen mehrere Profile haben.

Wird in der Lesezeichenleiste angezeigt - aber in der Datei gespeichert. Wenn nicht gespeichert wird, fehlen Schreibrechte im Profil.

Alle Browser außer K-Meleon können als bookmarks.html exportieren und importieren.
K-Meleon nutzt das Format direkt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 05:47PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 24, 2015 05:47PM

KM is in portable mode if there is an empty file "profile.ini" in its root folder. Then the profiles are inside. Otherwise they are in the windows user appdata folder.
Trick: after installation the portable mode is "switched" on or off by adding or removing that empty file! Nothing is copied or moved automatically by this, just copy over manually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 05:48PM by siria.

Date: April 24, 2015 06:13PM

Thank you very much, guenter & siria.

I understand now the behavior of K-Meleon in the Netscape Bookmarks section. (Of course, a notice indicating that only the default setting for the Netscape Bookmarks File is compatible with the portable use would be helpful.)

PS:
Zvonko
However, I am confused again: Adding new bookmarks seems not to work. The bookmark is added to the bookmark toolbar, but the URL links the bookmark to the user folder, not to a www address. What am I doing wrong???

Resolved. The bookmarks.html exported from Chrome was somehow corrupted ...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.