General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[Solved] Need help opening e-mail links
Posted by: foliator
Date: May 02, 2015 06:14PM

Is there a simple, non-technical way to make KM74 recognize mailto: URLs? Every time I try to follow an e-mail link, K-Meleon displays the following page load error message:

Unknown Protocol

mailto is not a registered protocol.

The address specifies a protocol (e.g. "wxyz://") the browser does not recognize, so the browser cannot properly connect to the site.

Every browser I've used in the past either recognized mailto:, which is a standard tag in basic HTML, or it asked me what program I wanted to open the link with and offered a browse option.

In fact, if I type a mailto: URL in the Windows Run dialog, it brings up my e-mail client's new message dialog with the e-mail address filled in, so the protocol is indeed registered, at least in Windows.

Oops! Problem solved, but I'm leaving the text above in place for reference.

Here's what fixed it: My friend also uses KM74 on his laptop, and I discovered that mailto: on his machine would bring up the proper dialog to select the e-mail client, so I was faced with figuring out what was different on my own machine. It turns out that to handle that protocol, KM74 relies on something in Internet Explorer tongue sticking out smiley, but I had shut off IE in the control panel under "Windows Features" a while back, instead of just disallowing access to it. When I turned it back on, voilá, there was the dialog I was looking for, even with access to IE still disallowed!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 08:23PM by foliator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [Solved] Need help opening e-mail links
Posted by: siria
Date: May 03, 2015 05:15PM

Crazy...
Not sure if I understand that right, just pondering a theory: could it be that new KM has probs setting the default mail client itself, if there is no system setting for "mailto" yet? But will recognize and use it, once it was configured by whatever other tool?

Date: May 03, 2015 06:10PM

I really don't understand it, siria, but it may be specific to Windows 7, because I've read a lot of discussions online relating to Win7 and missing mailto: protocols. Microsoft's support site describes a fix that doesn't work, but consider the source.tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley They keep telling people to click on the protocol at the bottom of the Default Programs list to select an e-mail client, even after users have stated plainly that the protocol isn't listed.

On my system, even if the mailto: protocol is recognized, it doesn't appear at the bottom of that list, so there's no easy way of changing the program associated with it. Long before I started using K-Meleon I had to manually create the registry key HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command and enter the filename and path of my e-mail client. This worked, but the protocol is still missing from the list.

I previously had no problem specifying an e-mail client in Firefox, but that was before I disabled Internet Explorer. The only conclusion I can reach is that internet protocol handling is dependent on a component of IE, at least in Win7.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 03, 2015 07:13PM

foliator,

is 'mailto' listed in 'about:Ñ€references - Applications'?
Also read this thread about handling mailto in KM.

Date: May 03, 2015 10:24PM

rodocop
foliator,

is 'mailto' listed in 'about:Ñ€references - Applications'?
Also read this thread about handling mailto in KM.

This is starting to get interesting:

I just finished reading that thread. Some of the protocol handler strings show up in about:config, but not mailto. However, mimeTypes.rdf has it now. It was missing from there until I turned IE back on. All the mailto links on the test page work, too.

Now, as an experiment, I skipped all the steps you listed, turned IE back off again and rebooted, but KM still recognizes the protocol. Had I looked at that thread earlier I probably would have been able to simply insert the proper entry into mimeTypes.rdf without having to resurrect useless old IE9. That browser, by the way, can't even load the new Google Maps in Lite mode, while KM loads it very quickly. Considering what Google has done with it, however, it's hardly worth looking at. tongue sticking out smiley

BTW, I can't find "about-preferences - Applications" anywhere. Maybe you're referring to Firefox, which I no longer have on my computer.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 03, 2015 11:35PM

Bit by bit the puzzle gets completed... hopefully Dorian can some day really finalize that.
You may want to have a look at the page "about:about", a wide and interesting playground too :cool:

Date: May 03, 2015 11:49PM

type about:Ñ€references in URLbar and open this page.

Select 'Applications' at left menu. Scroll down the list.

Date: May 04, 2015 01:52AM

rodocop
type about:Ñ€references in URLbar and open this page.

Select 'Applications' at left menu. Scroll down the list.

That's what I tried, but all I got was an invalid address response. I assume, maybe wrongly, that it only works in KM75. I'm still using 74, because after spending lots of time getting KM to work exactly the way I want it to, including its appearance, I'm reluctant to upgrade it. Anyway, the mailto issue no longer exists here, and thanks for all the support. There's more of that here than on any other software forum I've visited!

Date: May 04, 2015 02:02AM

siria
Bit by bit the puzzle gets completed... hopefully Dorian can some day really finalize that.
You may want to have a look at the page "about:about", a wide and interesting playground too :cool:

I've had a look at that. Wow! Maybe they should have added about:face (tennnn hut!) grinning smiley

Date: May 04, 2015 03:05PM

Yes, KM has the best support (both from developers and community) I've met ever throughout the web ;-)

And yes - there are no about:Ñ€references in 74.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 03:06PM by rodocop.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 13, 2015 06:14PM

For possibly available abouts consult: about:about

Not all will work however.

about:Ñ€references is not added to K-Meleon 74.

p.s. maybe ask naruman or adodupan whether it can work.

Date: May 13, 2015 10:01PM

'abouts' are usually registered with corresponding components through their manifests.

One 'about' that I cannot find registration way for - is about:newtab from naruman's "+1"-build

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.