General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
A question about bookmarks
Posted by: smaragdus
Date: June 03, 2015 11:01PM

Hi there,

I would like to ask if there is a way to import bookmarks from a HTML file without replacing the original 'bookmarks.htm' file- I replaced it with a saved from Firefox HTML file but thus I lost the original K-Meleon bookmarks.

If K-Meleon is still in development I would like to suggest an option for importing booksmarks from HTML or JSON files.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A question about bookmarks
Posted by: smaragdus
Date: June 24, 2015 09:04PM

First, it seems this is the most unfriendly community I have ever seen- for 20 days I expected at least a single answer to my question.

In the latest version of K-Meleon- 75.0 (by the way K-Meleon versioning is preposterous breaking all Google Chrome and Firefox nonsesne versioning records) all the usable skins have been removed so I had to copy them from a previous version since all these removed skins were not available for download in the skins download page (http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/SkinsAndThrobbers).

K-Meleon still lacks a simple but essential feature like private tabs/private windows.

K-Meleon doesn't offer a speed-dial which is a rather common feature.

K-Meleon still doesn't support Firefox extensions (the extensions are the only reason I am still using Firefox).

K-Meleon's bookmarks manager is perhaps the worst I have ever seen- it doesn't offer neither import nor export, a feature available even in one of the most primitive browsers ever- Midori. So I have to do that manually.

Stranhely enough K-Meleon doesn't behave like Firefox but like Opera 12- when remembering of passwords is disabled it cannot remember user names.

I hope that with time K-Meleon will get better but now it is lacking too many features in order to use it as my default browser.

Yet there are things I like in K-Meleon- the AuraAlpha family skins (I don't get why these nice skins have been removed in the latest version of- K-Meleon 75.0), the customization options and its portability (K-Meleon seems to be truly portable saving all its data inside its own folder which is great for me). By the way I am using the portable version of K-Meleon and I couldn't manage to integrate it with Free Download Manager.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 24, 2015 09:38PM

Well if no one has an answer to your question, what shall we reply? So everyone (the few that are here) hopes that someone else may know more and forgets about it again, looking out for posts marked as "new". In such cases ask again after awhile, that heightens chances for a reply, but am afraid it'll still be "no idea".
Actually I did try a bit to find a way with editing that html file, but being only a slightly advanced user and not much clue about bookmarks, it was a struggle and the result complicated, so hoped for more informed replies from others.

There are lots of adapted addons in the extensions chapter here, have you looked there? A certain amount of adaptation still is necessary, but a lot less than with old versions.
And am rather sure among them was also a "speed-dial", didn't you search for it? (ps: the forum search seems to overlook a lot too, but google helps)

The skins, oh yes, I regret that too, but thought at least the looks of the 75 default skin had the same icons as AuraAlpha? Sorry cannot use it myself, since my online machine is win98, can look at it only on an offline machine, so not quite sure. And the size variations have obviously been deleted because there is now an automatic zoom function for button size!
But still, the beauty of KM is you can fix lots of such stuff yourself, the old skin system still works too, just copy over the folder - as you did :cool:

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 25, 2015 02:11AM

smaragdus,

try to use KM Bookmarks Importer extension to solve first problem.

There is also an extension for FDM integration. Another option is universal oGet extension

You can add Privacy mode extension to get not the tab/window but fully private profile.

Basic speeddial is available in experimental 74+1 assembly by naruman and maybe it would be added to official K-Meleon sometime.
Right now you can get this option with Speed Dial extension.

NB! All extensions are just 7z-archives to unpack into KM folder.
The only issue is about SpeedDial installation: due to architectural changes you need manually place speeddial.js from archived defaults\pref folder to browser\defaults\preferences in your KM working folder.

KM cannot be fully compatible with FF extensions by design, sorry.

But you can install those that do not need GUI integration (buttons, menu items) or those already adapted for KM

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 12:55PM by rodocop.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 25, 2015 11:32AM

rodocop
Basic speeddial is available in experimental 74+1 assembly by naruman and maybe it would be added to official K-Meleon sometime.
Write now you can get this option with Speed Dial extension.

Oh!, really!.

My macro is canceled, then. I had no idea of its existence.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 11:33AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 25, 2015 12:56PM

rodocop
Write now...

Shame on me! Night is for sleeping not writing! ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.