General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Visited Links don't change color.(SOLVED)
Posted by: noalternative
Date: June 24, 2015 02:42PM

I found a solution in some of the documentation, but it was documentation for the old version. It involved downloading certain dll files, but the link to these dlls didn't work nor could I find any downloadable files by doing a search for them on duckduckgo. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/bugtrack.php

Some sites claimed they had these files, but their links didn't work either.

(SOLVED)I needed to enable history. Unfortunately than I had a history. I solved this by using Menu/Tool/Privacy/Clear Data/Clear Automatically than checking Clear on Shutdown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 10:01PM by noalternative.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visited Links don't change color.
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 24, 2015 03:09PM

I fix mine this way. Go to EDIT - CONFIGURATION - USER DEFINED STYLESHEET and add the following, and save the file.

/* -- Links that have been visited are DeepPink -- */
a:visited { color: DeepPink !important; }

Date: June 25, 2015 04:06AM

I tried this stylesheet. Unfortunately, I didn't work? Here is my stylesheet file.

/* ----- DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE -------------------------------------------- */

/*
* This file can be used to apply a style to all web pages you view
* Rules without !important are overruled by author rules if the
* author sets any. Rules with !important overrule author rules.
*/

/*
* example: use OS colors if none are specified (like IE)
* body * { color: inherit; background-color: transparent; }
* html > *, input, textarea { color: WindowText; background-color: Window; }
*/

/*
* example: make K-Meleon center pages' images and linked images
* body.km_DocInfo_lstLinkedImages li, body.km_DocInfo_lstImages li { text-align: center; }
*/

/*
* example: make K-Meleon not enumerate pages' images and linked images
* body.km_DocInfo_lstLinkedImages ol, body.km_DocInfo_lstImages ol { list-style-type: none; }
*/

/*
* example: give all tables a 2px border
* table { border: 2px solid; }
*/

/*
* example: make search fields on www.mozilla.org black-on-white
* @-moz-document url-prefix(http://www.mozilla.org/) {
* #q { background: white ! important; color: black ! important; }
* }
*/

/*
* For more examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
*/

/* -- Links that have been visited are DeepPink -- */
a:visited { color: DeepPink !important; }

/* ----- DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE -------------------------------------------- */
marquee { -moz-binding: none; }

Posted by: siria
Date: June 25, 2015 09:46AM

The browser is restared? Check if history is enabled?

In my old macro I found a second addition, not sure if that helps:
a:visited , a:visited * {color: purple !important;}

Ah yes, and just a few days ago noticed that word-colors must be typed all lower case! (in KM1.6 and win98 at least, may be different on James modern machine and browser)

And another "Ah" (argh my swiss-cheese memory, sigh):
In KM75 I recently had found a native gecko pref sheet for those color settings!
Not sure where exactly, perhaps in about:preferences and some deeper level in it? If not look around in the other about:about links...

Oops, and sure enough forgot yet another thing, even ancient and well-known:
Actually those gecko prefs above had been working for many years in KM, just without interface! But the hidden prefs still did work. In my about:config found this:
browser.visited_color (String) #551A8B
layout.css.visited_links_enabled (bool) true

Yet what I really use daily, is only my minimacro with the css-code in the top of my posting. Not sure anymore why, usually would prefer native prefs... Perhaps wasn't aware yet of the hidden prefs when writing that macro long ago? Or there was another catch, perhaps it didn't work an all sites either, missing the second addition? Or it had to do with my using this as toggle command on a skin button, although that shouldn't be a prob either way?
Can't remember without further checking, but no time. But I did struggle a lot with finding working css-settings in the past, which resulted in all those tips above.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 10:11AM by siria.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 25, 2015 10:59PM

siria

this is present in all modern KM builds but doesn't work...

Date: June 25, 2015 11:33PM

rodocop
siria

Of course - now that you say it... At least in my KM1.6 it obviously doesn't work, or I wouldn't need my button! But pity if it doesn't work in newer versions either, sure had hoped so. I thought it had when I looked at it some weeks ago, but perhaps again a matter of which page, no idea.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 26, 2015 01:32AM

siria
rodocop
siria

Of course - now that you say it... At least in my KM1.6 it obviously doesn't work, or I wouldn't need my button! But pity if it doesn't work in newer versions either, sure had hoped so. I thought it had when I looked at it some weeks ago, but perhaps again a matter of which page, no idea.

Who said doesn't?

Go here and change the colors in browser.visited_color to whatever you want. For only visit it, the first link will be visited, so you will see changes instantly.

http://www.geocities.ws/jothache/

By the way, magenta looks cool

Don't mix sites with CSS, that can only be overridden with userContent.css and those sites, lets say old sites if you want, that don't set links colors through CSS and all is in the hands of the browsers.

I admit I abused myself in some of my old sites too with the a:link,a:visited,a:active css rules to avoid letting user to see other colors. Or, in other words, to force the user to see the site like I want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 01:35AM by JohnHell.

Date: June 26, 2015 02:04PM

Yes, I got the visited links to show using just the prefs.

HOWEVER they only show if you change the color to something other than 551A8B. Why would the default be the same as all other links?

Edit:
They showed on the example page that JohnHell posted. When I backed out of general forum to the forum list, everything was blue again.

I am going back to my code in usercontent.css.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 02:11PM by JamesD.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 26, 2015 04:32PM

Well, even here on forum links are not color-changed by default but on the left column site-menu - they ARE!

Date: June 26, 2015 04:37PM

JamesD
Yes, I got the visited links to show using just the prefs.

HOWEVER they only show if you change the color to something other than 551A8B. Why would the default be the same as all other links?

Edit:
They showed on the example page that JohnHell posted. When I backed out of general forum to the forum list, everything was blue again.

I am going back to my code in usercontent.css.

I didn't understand your "however" line. The visited links haven't that color. What links in what page are we talking about.

Have in mind that the forum itself has these rules:
a
{
    color: #000099;
    text-decoration: none;
}
a:active
{
    color: #FF6600;
}
a:visited
{
    color: #000099;
}

a:hover
{
    color: #FF6600;
}

Normal and visited have the same color.

When CSS rules are applied, the only way to override is using !important in personal CSS rules.

@rodocop, in this forum ALL LINKS have the colors set above. They don't change to me at all and they shouldn't unless personal CSS rule. That's the reason they don't change by browser preference. Use Firefox if you think it is a K-meleon problem. It is exactly the same behavior.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 04:38PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 26, 2015 07:40PM

JohnHell
Normal and visited have the same color.

That is why I override in CSS.

Maybe I forgot to restart KM in prior test.

Date: June 26, 2015 08:13PM

Okay, so things are clear now:
- the native prefs do inject the color, but whithout the "important" rule
- that means it only works on websites where the author has NOT defined that color

Yes, unfortunately that's pretty much useless, especially on websites like this forum where visited links are fix defined with the same color as unvisited.

PS: the native prefs also don't understand word-colors, only #hex colors.
Unlike css-rules, which understand (most) words, if typed in lower case.

It would be great if KM could be changed to add the "important" rule by itself, still allowing to use the handy native GUI to define them!

That's actually quite easy with a tiny macro, but it should be included out-of-the-box already.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 08:17PM by siria.

Date: June 26, 2015 08:31PM

siria
Okay, so things are clear now:
- the native prefs do inject the color, but without the "important" rule

To clear a little more.

The pref has nothing to do with CSS, so the important has nothing to do here and they aren't injected. If you want to compare it with CSS to understand it better, it is ok.

But the best way to understand this is with the old browsers, prior to massive use of CSS for web design. Between later 199x years and early 200x years.

If, at that moment, [probably started by] Netscape (later Mozilla) [I don't know] decided that visited links were going to be green for visited links, to make a difference, that is how we would be seeing them now.

This is in the latest 4.8, but I can't remember if in earlier versions was available.

Date: June 26, 2015 09:01PM

Hehe, just checked - that is *exactly* how it still looks in gecko31 / KM75!!
Can't believe it... And the best: it's fully translated yet!! grinning smiley grinning smiley

where to find:
about: preferences / content / fonts&colors / colors

Frankly I don't care if that works by css or whatever way, as long as it works exactly the same as css.
So, the interface is there (although hidden quite deep and hard to find), and the translation is still there, that means all we need is a simple OnLoad command!
Just quickly thrown together but not tested yet (other computer):

KMcolors_linksvisited{
if (getpref(BOOL,"layout.css.visited_links_enabled")==true)
if (getpref(STRING,"browser.visited_color")>"")
injectCSS("a:visited , a:visited * {color: purple !important;}");
}
$OnLoad=$OnLoad."KMcolors_linksvisited;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."KMcolors_linksvisited;";

Hmmpf - not quite yet. Tried to change the color in the GUI via color picker, but the new color doesn't stick. And haven't found yet the pref for "allow other colors" (sounds like privacy/block page colors?)
So the above macro should still work, but what exactly does that GUI? Which prefs does it change, and how do they stick? Is there some "apply" command needed too? We'll have to investigate that yet, but am sure it's just a matter of a bit fiddling.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 09:22PM by siria.

Date: June 26, 2015 09:41PM

That is because about:preferences hasn't been implemented to Firefox/Gecko until version 3x (but above 31 sure). In Firefox 31 doesn't work either, as the options panel is still the "old" window.

Date: June 26, 2015 09:57PM

enabling history fixed it. Thanks siria :cool:

Date: June 26, 2015 10:28PM

Great! smiling smiley Thanks too, for updating the first post.

JohnHell
That is because about:preferences hasn't been implemented to Firefox/Gecko until version 3x (but above 31 sure). In Firefox 31 doesn't work either, as the options panel is still the "old" window.

Major pity. It really looks like that colors GUI is only reading the prefs, but not writing. But those are really important settings, wish the GUI were added to the normal pref sheets and with write access.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.