General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Is it possible to increase the font size for the URL bar?
Posted by: ray
Date: July 01, 2015 07:57PM

Hi!

I tested K-Meleon eons ago and didn't really like it.

Now, after hearing about the new release, I decided to come back and test. So far so good! smiling smiley

I was wondering if it is possible to increase the font size of the URL bar.

There was an older thread about this:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,121824,121879

But, there wasn't a clear answer.

Any help here would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible to increase the font size for the URL bar?
Posted by: guenter
Date: July 01, 2015 09:11PM

ray
Hi!

I tested K-Meleon eons ago and didn't really like it.

Now, after hearing about the new release, I decided to come back and test. So far so good! smiling smiley

I was wondering if it is possible to increase the font size of the URL bar.

There was an older thread about this:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,121824,121879

But, there wasn't a clear answer.

Any help here would be great!

Thanks in advance!

The answer was NO: Impossible. Reason. K-Meleon's GUI is not from XUL. Thus You cannot use Firefox methods.

You can only use Windows native system methods that make all programs' surfaces/interfaces bigger. Maybe change the screen resolution?

p.s. During that time so long ago this was AFAIK asked more than once in English.

The guy who asked and the person who answered were German so he covered it in German also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 09:12PM by guenter.

Date: July 02, 2015 07:49AM

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that the last thread referenced Firefox. I'm not sure how much code it would take to configure an option to set the font size for the URL bar for Windows via "Edit - Configuration" or under the "Preferences" menu.

I think it would make for a nice feature request for a future release if it doesn't take too much time to develop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 08:03AM by ray.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 02, 2015 09:58AM

Thinking of previous answers to GUI size styling issues am afraid it's rather not possible at all. Sometimes I wish too it were, but for having a flexible size for text on buttons smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 02, 2015 10:51AM

ray
Thanks for the reply.

I understand that the last thread referenced Firefox. I'm not sure how much code it would take to configure an option to set the font size for the URL bar for Windows via "Edit - Configuration" or under the "Preferences" menu.

I think it would make for a nice feature request for a future release if it doesn't take too much time to develop.

Yes. XUL GUI refers to Firefox. It is a Firefox item.

No. The effort to develop is not the point. The project is not about an improved windows. & My answer is only partly correct and too vague.

There are some things You can change.

& K-Meleon does not have it because K-Meleon uses the system gadgets for it.
And they are not very good and selective. IMHO.

I am afraid I can only show You a screenshot from a German Windows.

Search for a similar screen in Your System Settings of Windows. You can change the used theme there. As You see I use the ancient standard theme with my XP. smiling smiley

The red section: there You choose bigger than normal or extra large font.

Schriftgrad is German and something like font size.

That will IMHO increase among other things the font in the URL bar of K-Meleon.

Else You can use a screen resolution that makes all things bigger.
Maybe 1024 X 768 or less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 11:10AM by guenter.

Attachments: Schrift.gif (31.5 KB)  
Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 02, 2015 04:53PM

Yeah, currently you have to increase the font globally. I'm not sure why you would like to have an application with bigger text than the other.

Anyways, this could be added as an option, but it wouldn't fit with the toolbars.
Maybe font size should be increased when you set a bigger toolbar size.

Date: July 02, 2015 05:08PM

Dorian
Yeah, currently you have to increase the font globally. I'm not sure why you would like to have an application with bigger text than the other.

In Windows, I changed the font size for the URL bar under "Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Display" and setting the "Icons" font size to a higher value. As everyone has stated this is a global setting.

The problem with this global setting is this affects other apps. For example, the search bar that shows up in Windows 8 is cut off and all the icons in Windows Explorer are all big:

In the screenshot, I exaggerated the size to show off the problem.

Also, in K-Meleon, the font size on the tab bar is also affected. As a user, I do not want the URL bar and tab bar to share the same font size.

Dorian
Anyways, this could be added as an option, but it wouldn't fit with the toolbars.
Maybe font size should be increased when you set a bigger toolbar size.

Yeah, if possible that would be great. Would also be nice if the tab bar and regular toolbars had separate font size settings, but I'm not sure if that is possible while using the Windows API.

This is definitely trivial, so if this takes too much time to develop, spend the time on core instead.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 02, 2015 05:37PM

Dorian
I'm not sure why you would like to have an application with bigger text than the other.

Quite simple, because some texts are longer than others ;-) Like most URLs, many open tabs at once, many priv-buttons, while screen space is limited. So in general a normal font is preferred, but for long texts it's a compromise between text size and text length.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 02, 2015 11:04PM

ray
In Windows, I changed the font size for the URL bar under "Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Display" and setting the "Icons" font size to a higher value. As everyone has stated this is a global setting.

The problem with this global setting is this affects other apps. For example, the search bar that shows up in Windows 8 is cut off and all the icons in Windows Explorer are all big:

Yeah, that's whay you have to change the size of "all items" not just the text. Personally i use 125%

ray
Yeah, if possible that would be great. Would also be nice if the tab bar and regular toolbars had separate font size settings, but I'm not sure if that is possible while using the Windows API.

That's possible, but the url bar will become bigger than the other toolbars.

Date: September 15, 2015 08:52PM

This will be fixed in 75.1 with the kmeleon.display.urlbar_fontsize config option.

Thanks Dorian!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.