General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can't open PDF file/page
Posted by: Dirge
Date: July 05, 2015 08:21PM

K-Meleon 75.0
Windows XP (SP3)
Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (w/SSE but not SSE2 or above support)
PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.313.1

A new installation of K-Meleon 75.0 is running well with one exception: it won’t open PDF files/Web pages using the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin, and I can’t get it to launch the viewer separately. The plugin is listed as installed and activated in the about:plugins page. The Preferences > Browsing > File Handling > By Type window/editor is completely empty. I did clean reinstalls of both K-Meleon and PDF-XChange Viewer, but there was no change. The plugin works fine with Firefox, and it seems like it worked with K-Meleon 74.0 (but I only tested that briefly some time ago and don’t specifically remember if I tried to open a PDF file/page).

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't open PDF file/page (mimetypes)
Posted by: siria
Date: July 05, 2015 10:06PM

Sigh... every week someone else has trouble with that bug, which exists since many years - no wait, it's a feature :cool:
Click the link named "this thead" for a slightly complicated workaround:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,134108,134146#msg-134146

Re: Can't open PDF file/page (mimetypes)
Date: July 06, 2015 03:55AM

siria
Sigh... every week someone else has trouble with that bug, which exists since many years - no wait, it's a feature :cool:
Click the link named "this thead" for a slightly complicated workaround:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,134108,134146#msg-134146

Thanks for the pointer.

The Applications tab in about:preferences was already set up to use the PDF-XChange plugin, but the plugin just doesn't respond to K-Meleon for whatever reason. I tried an older version of the PDF-XChange Viewer (and an older plugin), but it doesn't work either. Perhaps I'll try another PDF viewer entirely and see if its plugin works.

I was able to set the PDF-XChange executable as K-Meleon's vehicle for opening PDF files, so PDF-XChange will simply launch externally when K-Meleon encounters a PDF file/page (rather than internally via the plugin) -- good enough for the time being.

Re: Can't open PDF file/page
Posted by: guenter
Date: July 06, 2015 06:34AM

Dirge
K-Meleon 75.0
Windows XP (SP3)
Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (w/SSE but not SSE2 or above support)
PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.313.1

A new installation of K-Meleon 75.0 is running well with one exception: it won’t open PDF files/Web pages using the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin, and I can’t get it to launch the viewer separately. The plugin is listed as installed and activated in the about:plugins page. The Preferences > Browsing > File Handling > By Type window/editor is completely empty. I did clean reinstalls of both K-Meleon and PDF-XChange Viewer, but there was no change. The plugin works fine with Firefox, and it seems like it worked with K-Meleon 74.0 (but I only tested that briefly some time ago and don’t specifically remember if I tried to open a PDF file/page).

What am I missing/doing wrong?

1.) Go URL about:preferences tab Applications. You can change settings there.

It is a known bug.

The K-Meleon native preferences file handling by type widget currently (75) does not work side by side with the Firefox one.

2.) If that does not work on Your system for some reason inside Your windows registry? siria mentioned that case and the counter measures above.

3.) For most application that have a mozilla plugin there is an easier way.

I use Nitro reader. To use a specific readers plugin I placed it in

...K-Meleon75\browser\plugins\npnitromozilla.dll

A plugin in that location gets precedence over all plugins that can handle the same MimeType but are in a different location. AND at this place a plugin is almost always found by the browser.

Mozilla plugins start with np - Look for it in Your PDF reader's install directory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 07:18AM by guenter.

Posted by: noalternative
Date: July 06, 2015 01:53PM

I just installed sumatra pdf.

http://download.cnet.com/Sumatra-PDF/3000-18497_4-10698785.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 01:54PM by noalternative.

Date: July 06, 2015 03:03PM

guenter
3.) For most application that have a mozilla plugin there is an easier way.

I use Nitro reader. To use a specific readers plugin I placed it in

...K-Meleon75\browser\plugins\npnitromozilla.dll

A plugin in that location gets precedence over all plugins that can handle the same MimeType but are in a different location. AND at this place a plugin is almost always found by the browser.

Mozilla plugins start with np - Look for it in Your PDF reader's install directory.

I tried that but had no luck. K-Meleon loads the plugin from either location, but it doesn't work in either case. Finding the plugin doesn't seem to be the problem, in any event, as the about:plugins page has indicated that the plugin is loaded and activated all along.

I just installed Nitro Reader 3, and its plugin works fine, so it seems that K-Meleon simply doesn't like PDF-XChange Viewer's plugin. (I should have tried another viewer earlier on in my troubleshooting, but I really like PDF-XChange Viewer.)

Thanks for the input.

Date: July 06, 2015 03:24PM

noalternative
I just installed sumatra pdf.

http://download.cnet.com/Sumatra-PDF/3000-18497_4-10698785.html

I usually use Sumatra as my default PDF viewer because it's so quick to open and load, but I use PDF-XChange Viewer as a browser viewer (because it has a plugin) and when I need more features and conveniences. Unfortunately, Sumatra no longer supplies a browser plugin so far as I know, so it would have to be launched externally by K-Meleon. That said, launching Sumatra externally is probably as fast or faster than launching most viewers internally via a plugin.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 06, 2015 06:08PM

I just fixed my KM to use Sumatra. It was easy. Just modify guenter's directions as follows.

Open your KM program files to KMroot/browser. Add a folder named 'plugins'. Go to your SumatraPDF folder in Program files and copy the file named 'npPdfViewer.dll' and paste it into the plugins folder that you previously created. Restart KM and click on a link to a PDF. It opened a PDF in Sumatra within the browser and it is really fast.

Posted by: noalternative
Date: July 06, 2015 06:56PM

You just need xp to associate pdf files with sumatra and kmeleon will use it. Download an pdf, and right click it, for properties/general/change. I also associate Sumatra with epub files.

I have an old netbook with an 8gb flash drive so my space is limited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 06:57PM by noalternative.

Date: July 06, 2015 07:25PM

JamesD
I just fixed my KM to use Sumatra. It was easy. Just modify guenter's directions as follows.

Open your KM program files to KMroot/browser. Add a folder named 'plugins'. Go to your SumatraPDF folder in Program files and copy the file named 'npPdfViewer.dll' and paste it into the plugins folder that you previously created. Restart KM and click on a link to a PDF. It opened a PDF in Sumatra within the browser and it is really fast.

Your advice is both more complex and simpler than you think: npPdfViewer.dll is not included with Sumatra 3.0, so anyone doing a clean install of Sumatra 3.0 will not have the plugin in their Program folder; to get the plugin, one must install Sumatra 2.5.2 (the last version to include the plugin) and then install Sumatra 3.0 over it, making sure to check the slightly hidden install option to keep the old browser plugin. Sumatra does not provide a separate download of just the plugin. (I've made a backup copy of the plugin and have put it in a safe place in case of future Sumatra-related catastrophes.)

That done, I did not have to move a copy of the plugin from the Sumatra folder to the K-Meleon folder, as K-Meleon found it in the Sumatra folder. All is working fine now. I like the user interface of the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin better, but the Sumatra plugin is so fast and light (and it works with K-Meleon) that I'll use it anyway.

Thanks.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 25, 2015 11:07PM

Just stumbled across this interesting link:
http://www.klaus-hartnegg.de/gpo/2014-08-21_Firefox_steals_pdf.html

Now wonder if it might help in such cases to set those prefs?
pref("pdfjs.disabled", true);
and perhaps also (whatever that does exactly, not sure...)
pref("plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types", "");

-----

Ah, and an extremely detailed list of all sorts of privacy, security prefs at
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/18/a-comprehensive-list-of-firefox-privacy-and-security-settings/

And that has something to do with the shown mime types list, although I know, KM has it's own ways, but you never now...
// disable hiding mime types in prefs applications tab that are not associated with a plugin
user_pref("browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions", false);

Ah - YES!! Even in KM1.6, that extends my visible mime types list from 3 to 10 entries!
On the other hand, in my offline-Vista with KM75, the list stays just as empty as before :-/ Perhaps only checks the plugins in KM/plugins folder... While about:preferences/applications has an endless list with all sorts of strange things, and about a dozen just for adobe acrobat stuff.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 12:40AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 26, 2015 12:23AM

siria

Nice find. So there is a Firefox/GRE problem that we share?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 12:24AM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 26, 2015 09:40AM

siria
On the other hand, in my offline-Vista with KM75, the list stays just as empty as before :-/ Perhaps only checks the plugins in KM/plugins folder... While about:preferences/applications has an endless list with all sorts of strange things, and about a dozen just for adobe acrobat stuff.

This is due to malformed default mimetypes.rdf in official KM75 (browser\defaults\profile\mimetypes.rdf).

Replace it with one from KM74 or from KM75 Pro - and all new profiles will show filled MIMEtypes list in KM Preferences.
(In your existing profile - change it also with file mentioned and restart KM)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 26, 2015 04:40PM

guenter
siria

Nice find. So there is a Firefox/GRE problem that we share?

No. Unless I miss something, the embedded PDF viewer isn't included in the GRE that comes with K-meleon.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.