General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How can I bypass KM75's internal media player?
Posted by: foliator
Date: July 14, 2015 10:09PM

@rodocop: Yes, after I ran your extension, I copied the mimetypes.rdf from the browser defaults to my profile, but that didn't do anything to the file-handling dialog under Preferences. The extension is currently uninstalled, but backed up.

Just to clarify, whenever you see "Preferences" in this post, I'm not referring to about-preferences, but to KM's Preferences menu. It gets pretty confusing sometimes. grinning smiley

@guenter: I've been experimenting some more. Without reinstalling rodocop's extension I tried the following: I backed up my mimetypes.rdf from my profile and replaced it with the one you provided in the link. Your file is quite long, as it contains a lot of filetypes, most of which I don't use. Here are the results, rather long-winded, I'm afraid:

The file-handling dialog under Preferences finally had some entries, but only 4 of them: PDF, MP3, XLS and PLS.

PDF's still opened properly in browser tabs via my plugin.

PLS by its description turns out to be a playlist file, even though it doesn't exist in my Windows registry. The only playlists I ever use are M3U's, and then only for radio streams. I never use playlists for my local music files.

XLS exists in my registry, but I open XLS files with a 3rd-party spreadsheet program, not MS Excel, and have no need to open them from the browser, anyway.

Now, when I clicked on an MP3, I got the file-handling prompt, even though I had already set it to open by default. The same thing for MP4 videos.

When I put my original mimetypes.rdf back in the profile folder, everything worked like it did after I had changed the about:config entries mentioned earlier: MP3's and MP4's opened externally by default, and PDF's opened through the browser plugin.

In other words, everything is now fine in the filetype department, at least for me, even though the file-handling dialog under Preferences is empty again, but I really don't want to pursue the matter any further. Thanks for all your help, everybody, and I hope this thread has enlightened a few people besides myself!

Whew -- I'm all typed out! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 10:13PM by foliator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.