General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
where's the User's Guide? and bookmarks handling
Posted by: Superhuman
Date: August 01, 2015 01:25PM

Awesome browser K-Meleon seems to be-- even faster & more efficient than Opera 11! But it's modern & up to date. At first glance there looked like a lot in the help menu, but I'm finding the documentation to be quite limited actually, so far. I have two immediate questions:

Is there anywhere the User's Guide can be found? The link in the docs section doesn't work. It goes to Sourgeforge, which had that recent failure of their pages, I'm thinking may be what's responsible. Though supposedly they've restored everything now (I've noticed it's a few days after they say a service is restored that it really is).

Second, what's the best way to manage a current version of your bookmark file between Opera and K-Meleon? I'm thinking not the setting where K-M shares the Opera .adr file in the Opera directory, and you have to remember not to use both browsers at the same time. I notice there's separate fields in the K-M settings for the Opera bookmark file, and a "new" bookmarks file. And there's of course also the K-M/Firefox bookmark system.

For example, between Opera 11 & 12 I just copy the .adr file between their directories, depending which is more current. But I'm quite confused how to go about this between K-M and Opera. So far I've been copying the Opera bookmark file to K-M's directory (it ends up with a few dupe entries), but then what about updates from K-M to go back to Opera?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where's the User's Guide? and bookmarks handling
Posted by: @ Maria's Laptop
Date: August 01, 2015 05:05PM

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php

K-Meleon's Opera hotlist support is old and may have bugs. e.g. siria says so.

Workaround. Opera can export and import AFAIK its hotlist/.adr as html (bookmarks.html).

K-Meleon still uses the Mozilla/Netscape bookmarks.html natively.
Export and import it to Opera or any other browser.

So You can used that detour.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 01, 2015 08:00PM

The old bug with opera.adr (losing nicks when adding a new page) has finally been fixed since KM75 smiling smiley

And if you want to exchange with Opera browser, I'd simply "share" the same file, after making a backup copy (just in case). Or exchange a copy like between different opera versions. Converting back and forth and back and forth makes no sense.

But the handling is still very akward, contrary to "bookmarks" there's no way to adjust the title or determine a folder when adding a new page. All new pages just get dropped blind into the FIX FOLDER for "new" bookmarks, as defined in the options.

Am not sure if the "bookmarks" system is much more "native" as "favorites" and "hotlist", at least in the older versions each one works with their own plugins. But am not quite uptodate with KM74/75, being stuck with KM1.6 on win98 myself.
It's true though that the "bookmarks" system, as the only one enabled out-of-the-box, is also the only one that got the GUI improved in the last years, to make it easier to add new bookmarks.

The other two systems, hotlist and favorites, only drop the stuff silently into the "newitem" folders, leaving newbies riddling if anything worked at all. There are also user macros available to help choosing a name and folder, but have lost a bit overview myself, being totally fan of the "favorites" system, with macro Favinia :cool:

Am afraid there is no current manual... Way too much work for too little people with enough knowledge, and the wiki "docs" are horribly outdated since AGES, confusing more now than enlighten!
Perhaps the best bet is to read the FAQ-page first, even when partly outdated too, but the ENGLISH version is still much more updated than most other wiki pages.

In general:
right-click, right-click, right-click whenever you look for something! On pages, pics, buttons... Unlike others the KM buttons do not show that little arrow when they contain an additional menu, to save space, and many do contain a helpful options menu.
Users can also add more menus to their skin buttons if they wish, also macro-created menus. But personally I've started getting a bit lost with the new ways in KM75, since it doesn't run on my old main computer, so others can tell better now.

Date: August 17, 2015 08:56AM

@ Maria's Laptop
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php

K-Meleon's Opera hotlist support is old and may have bugs. e.g. siria says so.

Workaround. Opera can export and import AFAIK its hotlist/.adr as html (bookmarks.html).

K-Meleon still uses the Mozilla/Netscape bookmarks.html natively.
Export and import it to Opera or any other browser.

So You can used that detour.

I saw the docs link of course, it's right on the kmeleonbrowser.org page main menu, and it works smiling smiley! Unlike the User's Guide link, as any link hosted by Sourceforge is useless. I don't think it has anything to do with their web failure, all fixed now, and probably didn't work before that happened.

The Opera support causes the same 3 dupe entries when I import the Opera bookmarks (they have been called bookmarks, not hotlist, since before I've been using Opera in mid-2011. But AWeb is a browser I've used that calls it hotlist smiling smiley). Otherwise, it seems to work pretty well that I can tell. But old and buggy is a good reason not to trust it for re-importing the current version back to Opera from K-Meleon.

Opera can export as html, but not import html. Hence, I'm going to start doing that to K-M instead of copying the .adr file. Then I manually re-bookmark everything I added in K-M in Opera from K-M's bookmarks.html. That way, even if I have a backup of the file, I don't risk not noticing a problem with anything and ending up with a confusing mess of bookmark files. Then I just continue re-importing that updated version from Opera to K-M (.adr or even better .html). Seems to be the best overall method.

Thanks for the info!

Date: August 17, 2015 09:41AM

siria
And if you want to exchange with Opera browser, I'd simply "share" the same file, after making a backup copy (just in case). Or exchange a copy like between different opera versions. Converting back and forth and back and forth makes no sense.

But the handling is still very akward, contrary to "bookmarks" there's no way to adjust the title or determine a folder when adding a new page. All new pages just get dropped blind into the FIX FOLDER for "new" bookmarks, as defined in the options.

Am not sure if the "bookmarks" system is much more "native" as "favorites" and "hotlist", at least in the older versions each one works with their own plugins.

The other two systems, hotlist and favorites, only drop the stuff silently into the "newitem" folders, leaving newbies riddling if anything worked at all.

Am afraid there is no current manual... Way too much work for too little people with enough knowledge, and the wiki "docs" are horribly outdated since AGES, confusing more now than enlighten!
Perhaps the best bet is to read the FAQ-page first, even when partly outdated too, but the ENGLISH version is still much more updated than most other wiki pages.

In general:
right-click, right-click, right-click whenever you look for something! On pages, pics, buttons...

To me, "sharing" the same bookmark file between two different browsers makes no sense. Then I'd have to remember not to have both started simultaneously, and with one being the default browser that could be hard to not get auto started when using the other. Also, a backup bookmark file will only help if I realize there's a problem in time to prevent a confusing mess.

Speaking of confusing messes, the way the "new" hotlist file works from your description, I sure don't care for that. I'll just manually re-enter all new bookmarks from K-M in Opera from the bookmarks.html file. Bookmarks.adr from Opera to K-M, and bookmarks.html from K-M to Opera isn't too bad, but the best
is .html between them both. And manually re-entering new links on the Opera end will prevent any screwed up bookmarks situation importing .adr from K-M, which would also affect Opera Mini and Opera 11 via Opera Link and manual file copies, respectively. Plus I don't have to worry about that strange "new" bookmarks file, and trying to integrate that separate file. Besides, I think there may be some data loss of things like page icons if I tried importing the file from K-M back to Opera, with either format.

AFAIK Opera hasn't called it "hotlink" in many years, since before I started using it in mid-2011; it's just called bookmarks. Actually I never heard it called hotlinks in Opera, only in an Amiga browser I used to use called AWeb.

I think you're right, the FAQ seems to have the best info over any other single source. Until I figure out more customizations and implement more config changes, I do seem to be doing a lot of right clicking. grinning smiley

Thanks lots for the helpful guidelines!

Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 17, 2015 07:17PM

Superhuman
Opera can export as html, but not import html.

Opera Presto can also import html.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 19, 2015 10:17PM

Hm yes, although all that copying sounds rather bothersome to me, but if you store and exchange your bookmarks via Opera Server, that could well be more problematic... Anyway, whatever works best for you smiling smiley

Superhuman
AFAIK Opera hasn't called it "hotlink" in many years, since before I started using it in mid-2011; it's just called bookmarks.

May well be, but since KM can use 3 different bookmarking systems, we just need 3 different names for them. It's already confusing enough for many users if they always think and often write "bookmarks" but mean any of the 3 systems.
Oops - no wait, those Opera bookmarks are called hotLIST in KM! HotLINKS is that shortcut macro for CTRL+0-10 additional links - sigh, I keep confusing all those similar names too, LOL! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2015 10:20PM by siria.

Date: September 01, 2015 08:47AM

Yogi
Superhuman
Opera can export as html, but not import html.

Opera Presto can also import html.

Opera 12 is Opera Presto, the last version of it. I've never heard nor seen anything about it being able to import html. In the menu for bookmark imports, it lists other common browser formats & such, but no html there. If it can import html, how do you do it?

Win XP Pro SP2, K-Meleon 75.0, Opera 12.17.1863, Opera Mini 8.0.35676

Date: September 01, 2015 08:55AM

siria
Hm yes, although all that copying sounds rather bothersome to me, but if you store and exchange your bookmarks via Opera Server, that could well be more problematic... Anyway, whatever works best for you smiling smiley

May well be, but since KM can use 3 different bookmarking systems, we just need 3 different names for them. It's already confusing enough for many users if they always think and often write "bookmarks" but mean any of the 3 systems.

What about using Opera's server is more problematic?

Ah, right. Maybe Opera never did actually call it "hotlist", it's just K-M that does for that differentiating purpose so it's not too confusing, like you say.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 01, 2015 09:55AM

Superhuman

Ah, right. Maybe Opera never did actually call it "hotlist", ....

All call it that. It has extension *.adr.

At the beginning of the file is the name of the MimeType and a version e.g. "Opera Hotlist version 2.0". Second line "Options: encoding = utf8, version=3"...

Not only with the ones K-Meleon uses. Just ask uncle google for "opera hotlist".smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 09:58AM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: September 01, 2015 10:15AM

Superhuman
If it can import html, how do you do it?

Opera 12 has the option to: "Import Firefox Bookmarks" = Bookmarks.html = K-Meleon Bookmarks

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 01, 2015 05:57PM

Yogi
Superhuman
If it can import html, how do you do it?

Opera 12 has the option to: "Import Firefox Bookmarks" = Bookmarks.html = K-Meleon Bookmarks

:cool: Overlooked that.

BTW. Almost all browsers I know have import/export as html (which imports/creates files with the old Netscape bookmarks format - which once was the industry standard - and still is used as exchange and backup format) which K-Meleon still uses for its bookmarks.

The function is ussally accessible via manage bookmarks - data or bookmarks manager etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 06:03PM by guenter.

Re: where's the User's Guide? and bookmarks handling :O
Date: September 09, 2015 05:26AM

Yogi

:O :O :OWow, I never knew that! :cool: :cool: :cool: I always thought the options to import from particular browsers were special formats that would only work with bookmark files from those browsers. Opera should've also listed in the menu the Firefox one as also being an import from simple html. I could've imported my hotlist from my old AWeb browser from the start, when I first started using Opera!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 05:39AM by Superhuman.

Date: September 09, 2015 05:35AM

guenter
All call it that. It has extension *.adr.

At the beginning of the file is the name of the MimeType and a version e.g. "Opera Hotlist version 2.0". Second line "Options: encoding = utf8, version=3"...

I see what you mean how they describe it in the file-- I never looked in it before grinning smiley. And I imagine most never do. That's the only place I ever saw Opera refer to it as hotlist now, and everywhere else I've seen they call it bookmarks.

guenter
BTW. Almost all browsers I know have import/export as html (which imports/creates files with the old Netscape bookmarks format - which once was the industry standard - and still is used as exchange and backup format) which K-Meleon still uses for its bookmarks.

I didn't know any had import-from-html, until now! (I still don't know if K-M has export or import html.)

This means not only can I export html directly from Opera to K-M when updating the bookmarks file, but can even update from K-M back to Opera without any need to manually add all the new bookmarks in Opera that are coming from K-M. That'll sure work, there's quite enough time consuming manual tasks on computers already.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.