General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Garbage
Posted by: finchley
Date: August 10, 2015 03:37PM

Installed the 75 upgrade...destroyed all my bookmarks...thanks a bunch. Uninstalled. I'll never try it again. Done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Garbage
Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 10, 2015 06:40PM

Try to search for bookmarks.html or bookmarks-backup.html on your disk.

KM doesn't delete old bookmarks normally.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 10, 2015 07:06PM

Made some investigation.

finchley (as well as other users saying the same) is right, folks...

If previous build of KM was installed BUT IN PORTABLE MODE ('Store profile inside K-meleon folder' option) then it's threatened by the upgrade procedure.

'Little housekeeping' procedure of 75's installer works correct only with profile under User's Application Data folder - old bookmarks and prefs are intact there.

But the portable profile is wiped from all the standard stuff, so you would lose bookmarks, bookmarks-backup, prefs and so on...

Upgrade procedure doesn't recognize previous 'portable install' and ruines it.

This requires to be URGENTLY fixed! Please, Dorian - we need an update for installer. Otherwise we will lose users loyality again and again.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 10, 2015 08:21PM

rodocop
But the portable profile is wiped from all the standard stuff, so you would lose bookmarks, bookmarks-backup, prefs and so on...

WHoa :O One of the worst desasters! sad smiley

Reminds me again why I hate installers and use zips whenever any possible, and also why I love undestructible Favorites...

Argh, but why do people just about never report back if they are told to search for something and find nothing?! This could have noticed much earlier. And most of us forum regulars install every new version separately, so it's hard to discover. Glad you figured that out now!

Until a fix is available, perhaps we should add a warning to the download page, and to the forum announcement??

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 11, 2015 04:10PM

Nobody saw it, because it only happens after the second update.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.