General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon is not open directly
Date: August 22, 2015 09:23PM

hello, I just Installed this K-Meleon days ago. its very nice browser. i love it. very nextday i got problem to open it. when i click shortcut at desktop or direct exe file from installed directory i got this error. http://prntscr.com/87qc6u and http://prntscr.com/87qci6. i will post error link here. i can open it by Run as Administrator, then it opens. but every time i can't do that. so please solve this issue.
I used this version of K-Meleon: http://prntscr.com/87qees
My Operating system: Windows8 64bit

Mohan..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon is not open directly
Posted by: siria
Date: August 22, 2015 09:54PM

Hi, and thanks for posting instead of trashing it right away :-)
No idea what causes this, but last November there was a similar "profile bug" already, but was fixed. Hopefully Dorian can figure this one out too.

Do you have that prob only with "default" or also the other profile?
Just a few random thoughts for testing... if you check "Ask at startup", then close, and at next startup click on "new profile" and open a page, does that work better?
Or open the current profile folder and delete the "startup cache"...
Or do you have a portable installation, with profiles inside the program folder and perhaps permission probs? The portable mode can be removed by renaming the file "profile.ini" in the root folder, for testing...

Error message from screenshot above, to get it searchable as text:

"The selected profile can't be loaded. It's already in use or the profile folder is not accessible."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 01:11PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 23, 2015 01:05AM

I had a similar message in Win 10. JohnHell suggested that I give myself, as owner, full control of the folder where KM is loaded. That worked.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,131783,134912#msg-134912

Date: August 30, 2015 07:32AM

Perhaps for better security not the whole KM program folder would be necessary, just the profiles folder, but don't know (and for special rare actions perhaps also skins etc)

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 30, 2015 07:53AM

Exactly. Means AFAIK Profiles/current user profile. That is the folder where K-Meleon.exe creates, writes and edits files and must get writing rights in portable installs. No matter on what device or location the portable install is. In its root folder K-Meleon does not write and need writing privileges normally. So this should be write protected so no malware can write there. Other folders in K-Meleon install directory like skins AFAIK only need such rights if You write there (usually manually). During normal use this happens rarely or never. During development and testing this happens seldom IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 08:00AM by guenter.

Date: August 30, 2015 11:40AM

If one wishes to install a macro and an image for a toolbar button, the normal way has been to extract those items from a 7z file to the KM root folder. Win 10 makes this impossible without giving oneself 'full control' of the folder. I already was running with admim authority. That was not enough.

You can extract to the profile. The macro will be in 'user macros' and the skin 'shared' can exist in the profile also. What this means is that only the profile to which the files were extracted will have the use of the new items.

Some items cannot go into the profile, I think. The local documents go into root/browser. I am no expert on addons, but I think they go in root folder also.

Last night, I spent nearly an hour on the phone talking a relative through the extraction and installation of Restart2 into his KM 75.1RC on Win 10. He had to give himself full control of the KM root folder just to get files loaded.

Guenter is right. I don't like the security aspect of this anymore than he does, but at any one time I have from 4 to 6 copies of KMs loaded so I never use APPDATA. I could never keep them straight in my tired old mind. I never install. I use 7z files keep the profile with the KM.

Re: K-Meleon is not open directly (Windows10 wants full owner rights)
Date: August 30, 2015 01:26PM

Sigh... what a nightmare. Why is it that over centuries things always got improved, but now that a few single people have almighty pseudo-monopolies they can make things worse and worse and hardly anyone can defend?! Wherever one looks.

So, would it perhaps be possible to revoke that owner-permission again, after installation of a macro, skin config etc.?
On the other hand, in theory it could work if 7zips are not extracted into root folder, but current profile folder? With the disadvantage that only this single profile can use it, and can easily be deleted accidentally :-/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 01:28PM by siria.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 31, 2015 06:59PM

They shouldn't restrict what power user can do, but what application can do. It's so annoying how an application can install crap anywhere, however they please.

Anyways, if you want to temper with your programs installation, don't install them in program files. I always use a portable version of my applications when possible, and they're in my own program folder. So much easier when you need to reinstall.

JamesD
Last night, I spent nearly an hour on the phone talking a relative through the extraction and installation of Restart2 into his KM 75.1RC on Win 10. He had to give himself full control of the KM root folder just to get files loaded.

Why not put the macro in the profile?

Date: September 01, 2015 12:47AM

Dorian,

I should have just had him put it in the profile. It would have been more easy to do that way, but I was not sure he would not want multiple profiles later.

If he does an upgrade to a later version, then I will have him do it like you do. When I made a folder called 'KM_Pgms' under C:// then I didn't have the write authority problem. That is where all my KMs will be loaded in the future when the Ops sys is Win 10.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.