General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to make K-Meleon usable with more than 20 tabs open?
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: August 29, 2015 09:52AM

Please don't lacerate me just at once! winking smiley

For more than a decade now I'm used to have open about 20 to 40 (or even much more) tabs at the same time and being at least as fast as a new PC when having turned off scripting ... with PC running WinXP having not more than 512MB of RAM on a machine with Celeron or P-III at 1200MHz.

How to do that with K-Meleon in a way that virtual memory does increase so much that K-Meleon gets unresponsive and you have to wait for tens of minutes (up to half an hour) until you can touch that PC again (because of swapping of virtual memory)?

Btw: increasing physical RAM is NO option as the used PCs do not allow more!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to make K-Meleon usable with more than 20 tabs open?
Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 31, 2015 09:06PM

Modern websites will always eat lot of memory. You can disable js/images when possible, or use a proxy that compress images, reduce memory cache, reduce session history (not sure how much, there is an hardcoded minimum i think)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 09:07PM by Dorian.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 31, 2015 09:18PM

Not sure how much that prefetch-link thing will eat too, or if perhaps it only works in background if enough ressources are free or not, like windows search? At any rate I'd check those "prefetch" settings in about:config. Also have a look at permdefs-macro, it creates a menu to easier toggle stylesheets, iframes etc. via native gecko prefs.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 31, 2015 10:42PM

Try KM 75 Pro!
It has a lot of RAM-saving prefs set out of the box.

One mentioned by siria (disable prefetching), also
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers set to 1 (minimize RAM-caching for tab history)
memory.free_dirty_pages to true for better RAM-freeing

Also you may switch some priorities from speed to RAM-saving like:
config.trim_on_minimize to true for paging RAM to disk when minimizing KM
browser.cache.disk.enable to true for enabling disk cache
browser.cache.memory.enable to false for disabling RAM cache

Also use FlashBlock by default and enjoy AdBlock with lightweight subscription built in KM 75 Pro. (After week or two of hard usage go to AdBlock's 'Filter preferences' and delete all filters with 0 hits - they are useless for you)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.