General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon unable to run videos smoothly ...
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: September 25, 2015 09:49AM

I am here on a Notebook with Pentium M 1700MHz and 1GB of RAM on Windows XP.

While running MSIE (in fact, it's NetCaptor, a MSIE-Multitab-Surface, here with about 30 Tabs open), a flash video on FaceBook runs smoothly and you can watch everything; details are correct in time. JavaScript and ActiveX are mandatory to run flash video.

On the other hand K-Meleon: same PC, same flash video, but the picture is not running smoothly and sound does not correspond to picture. Here only one other tab is open (that one I'm writhing this here).

Why is K-Meleon uncapable of just running a simple flash video smoothly while MSIE/NetCaptor (even with 30 open tabs) can?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon unable to run videos smoothly .. (2015).
Posted by: siria
Date: February 27, 2020 05:32AM

Well, it's been a few years, but a spammer just stole your post to fool us.

Anyway, what were your experiences since then, could you fix it?

------------------
If he had been real, I'd have replied that :cool:
(but now for anyone else coming across this some day perhaps)

Which KM-version? Current KM-Goanna? (Feb.2020)
In general video playback seems a science in Mozilla browsers, with dozens of pref settings to juggle, depending on hardware, system, server etc. Especially hardware acceleration is infamous. Just a few example prefs to play with, on "about:config" page:
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled
layers.acceleration.disabled
gfx.direct2d.disabled (and lots more directx settings)
And tons of prefs with "media" in name...
Oh and plugin-container stuff, all prefs with "ipc.plugin". Just saw a note from last Sep. that THIS can make Flash quite slow if set true, in KM76.2 or NM27:
dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enabled

There are too few experts here now, probably much better chances to find a solution when looking around on the MSFN forum. The engine in KMG76 is the same as in (Pale)NewMoon27, that means tips for videos in NM27 should also work in KM-Goanna76. Have seen endless topics about videos and XP etc. there. For example this topic, although that's about mp4:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/175591-enable-mp4-h264-aac-html5-video-in-firefox-on-windows-xp-without-flash/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 05:36AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.