General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Die hard XP fan, looking for a lightweight Firefox replacement.
Posted by: NT Five
Date: October 12, 2015 10:33PM

Hi there,

Still using Windows XP here and looking for a decent Firefox replacement.

I love Firefox but it's so resource-hungry nowadays that it just sucks the life out of my low-end XP compatible hardware.
K-Meleon looks very promising to me.

Nice and light using the native Windows API. grinning smiley
Just what I was looking for.. but there might be some issues that could prevent me to switch to K-Meleon as my main browser.

Here are some Firefox extensions I just can't live without:

- Lastpass

- DownThemAll

- ScrapBook

- NoScript

- One of these adblockers (I don't like AdBlock Plus); uBlock /uBlock origin, KarmaBlocker.

I understand that it's possible to modify/hack some Firefox addons to make them compatible with K-Meleon but I'm having trouble finding good documentation here.

There's a lot of posts on this forums so I'm a bit confused and I don't know where to start.

I hope there is a way to make the addons on my little list run on the latest versions of K-Meleon.

Willing to roll up my sleeves and dig into the code to make it happen, but I need a little help because my programming and scripting skills are not that great yet. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Die hard XP fan, looking for a lightweight Firefox replacement.
Posted by: KM2005
Date: October 12, 2015 11:18PM

Scrapbook and DownThemAll:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,131158

For NoScript in KM: I add the 'Privacy bar' to the toolbar, and edit a file to make a JavaScript enable/disable button show in the Privacy bar.

LastPass: KM has a built-in password manager.

Date: October 12, 2015 11:41PM

KM2005
Scrapbook and DownThemAll:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,131158

Nice !
Thank you. grinning smiley

KM2005
For NoScript in KM: I add the 'Privacy bar' to the toolbar, and edit a file to make a JavaScript enable/disable button show in the Privacy bar.

You mean a simple button to toggle JavaScript ?

Can I just install NoScript in Firefox and then copy the files to the K-Meleon profile folder or something like that ?
I don't know how to proceed to install it.

KM2005
LastPass: KM has a built-in password manager.

So does Firefox, but I can't use that, because I need the password generator, the sync functionality, and the YubiKey multifactor authentication that comes with LastPass.
Unless someone adds these options to the built-in password manager I need my LastPass addon.

LastPass is a must and if I can't use it I won't be able to use K-Meleon as my main browser.
I am willing to spent a lot of time and effort to get LastPass running, but I will need some help from you guys because I am new to this.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 13, 2015 12:05AM

NoScript AFAIK works more or less. He suggests to possibly make a button to call it.
The interface to do presets AFAIK should work.

LastPass. Nothing that requires the working together of a XUL interface and a web page is possible. XUL Interfaces that connect to webpage html do not work. No buttons etc. K-Meleon's GUI is simply not XUL based. It is no Firefox clone. K-Meleon can use XUL applications / XUL interfaces show data that are received by them.
Password generator will probably work. No idea what the rest is.

Install LastPass for firefox and experiment whether You get sufficient functions.

You are the one that wants to use it so You are its K-Meleon dev if You need it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 12:09AM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 13, 2015 12:15AM

Be aware that even if an xpi-addon may run more or less, it often only runs half the job or less in KM while other parts can only be coded new in macrolanguage, without real interaction with the addon-part (am at the moment seeing the limits very clearly while struggling with QuickNote addon).

There was a Last Pass macro by jsnj created a few years ago, but not sure if it would still run in KM75... or if not if anyone can update. For my non-dev skills it looked just too complicated, sorry. But look around in the forum, it was around here somewhere...

Ah yes, and for addons to recognize KM as a (fake) FF and start running, add the pref "kmeleon.install_firefox_extension"=true

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: October 13, 2015 12:58AM

guenter
LastPass. Nothing that requires the working together of a XUL interface and a web page is possible. XUL Interfaces that connect to webpage html do not work. No buttons etc. K-Meleon's GUI is simply not XUL based. It is no Firefox clone.

I think I understand the differences between Firefox and K-Meleon.

K-Meleon is just the Gecko engine wrapped in a standard Windows GUI instead of using the bloated XUL Interface that brings my machine to it knees, right ?
That's exacly what I'm looking for but of course it means that FF addons that communicate with a non-existing XUL GUI need to be modded/hacked so they can use the standard Windows API ?

guenter
K-Meleon can use XUL applications / XUL interfaces show data that are received by them.
Password generator will probably work. No idea what the rest is.

LastPass autofills username and password fields on webpages so I guess that will probably be tricky in KM.

I've found this and I installed it:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,115116,printview,page=1

It looks like some things work but it needs configuring/modding and when I'm reading the post trying to understand how to get it running it just makes my head spin.
It's lacking a clear step by step tutorial so I'm lost.

KM pops up a dialog: Right-click your bookmarklets and choose 'Add bookmarklets to LastPass Lite'

Don't know where (or what) my bookmarklets are, so I can't click them !

guenter
Install LastPass for firefox and experiment whether You get sufficient functions.

You are the one that wants to use it so You are its K-Meleon dev if You need it.

LastPass is doing some heavy duty interaction with webpages and form filling to perform it's magic.
It probably needs some experienced dev to make that happen in KM and I'm afraid I am not there yet so if there's no one help me with that I will have to stick to Firefox for the moment and that sucks.
Firefox is consuming waaaay too many CPU cycles on my system and my PC becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds very often when I open certain websites.
Makes me want to take my laptop and smash it to pieces ! :mad:

K-Meleon works great, but now I can't get any work done on the web because it's impossible to log in to forums and stuff without LastPass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 01:23AM by NT Five.

Date: October 13, 2015 01:37AM

siria
There was a Last Pass macro by jsnj created a few years ago, but not sure if it would still run in KM75... or if not if anyone can update. For my non-dev skills it looked just too complicated, sorry. But look around in the forum, it was around here somewhere...

I've found it.

jsnj's macro works partially.
I can log in to my LastPass password vault, but it will not fill in username and password fields on webpages so I can't log in to sites.

People already had problems with the macro in 2011.
Kind of works but only partially so it's useless.
It's like a car with a working engine, but the gearbox is missing.
You can start it, the engine make noises and smoke is coming from the exhaust pipe but you won't be able to drive it anywhere.
It looks like the macro needs debugging.

siria
Ah yes, and for addons to recognize KM as a (fake) FF and start running, add the pref "kmeleon.install_firefox_extension"=true

Where do I have to add it ?
I looked in about:config but I can't find it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 01:38AM by NT Five.

Date: October 13, 2015 01:43AM

Right-click and click "new" for new prefs. Type is Bool

Just from memory...
The KM-Version only worked with the bookmarklets:
https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/bookmarklets/

There was another thread awhile ago. It sounded like the website had changed their bookmarklets, so if you can find their new adress and change their code in the macro (kmm), perhaps it helps... or not...

Ah: actually the old version worked ONLY with a kmm-file, using the bookmarklets as target! No xpi required at all.

Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 07:10AM by siria.

Date: October 13, 2015 02:16AM

siria
There was another thread awhile ago. It sounded like the website had changed their bookmarklets, so if you can find their new adress and change their code in the macro (kmm), perhaps it helps... or not...

Ah: actually the old version worked ONLY with a kmm-file, using the bookmarklets as target! No xpi required at all.

The LastPass site only mentions Firefox bookmarklets.
KM is not on their list.

I posted a request on the LastPass forum to add support for KM.

I've got 2 LastPass buttons in KM but when I click on it its keeps popping up a dialog that tells me to right-click my bookmarklets and to add them to LastPass and I just do not understand what that means.

I am an avanced computer user doing hex editing, registry tweaking and more geeky stuff but I just don't understand the terminology here.

Feeling stupid because I can't grasp the concepts.
Maybe my brain's not working right today...¬_¬

Posted by: KM2005
Date: October 13, 2015 04:16AM

NT Five
You mean a simple button to toggle JavaScript ?

I'm meaning that in KM74, don't know about KM75 because I don't run that version presently, toolbars.cfg has commented out lines for a javascript button. Uncomment the area of that file. And go to View >Toolbars > check (show) the Privacy bar which contains the javascript button once the file is edited.

Yes, it's a javascript toggle button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 04:18AM by KM2005.

Date: October 13, 2015 07:20AM

The LastPass site only mentions Firefox bookmarklets.
KM is not on their list.

Do you know Bookmarklets? They are just javascript-snippets on links, which can also be saved to bookmarks. Links that are bookmarklets have targets not starting with "http..." but with "javascript:..."
Since FF and KM use the same gecko engine, all javascripts should act the same, that means all FF-bookmarklets should by default work in all gecko-browsers (in theory)

I've got 2 LastPass buttons in KM but when I click on it its keeps popping up a dialog that tells me to right-click my bookmarklets and to add them to LastPass and I just do not understand what that means.

Simply means right-click on certain links on the LP-website. Where to find them is described on this long page:
https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/bookmarklets/

Do you find the links that they describe? (Or -no idea- is perhaps their description outdated and they don't offer that anymore?)

If you find those special links, click the right-mouse button and the KM-Link-context menu pops up, where the macro added an entry "Add Bookmarklet To LastPass Lite", somewhere above "Save link target as...". Click this entry and the macro will automatically store those javascript bits in a pref and in the future work with them.

Hmm... in theory websites can also change context menus, but you should notice if it's different from the normal link menu...

PS: If you're new at KM, why start out with an old KM-version 74? The newest is 75.1. If you start customizing and fiddling now with the old, adding extensions and tweaking, later switching to a new KM version becomes more complicated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 07:27AM by siria.

Date: October 15, 2015 12:02AM

siria
Do you know Bookmarklets?

Now I do ! grinning smiley

I just discovered what they are all about.
Now I've got LastPass kind of working using the bookmarklets.
I can do my logins now but it lacks elegance because of the limitations.
It's a quick and dirty hack to do *some* of the things I need to do with LastPass but it's not good enough.

The LastPass lite extension doesn't work for me.
Multiple problems.
I'll wil try to take a look at it later to see what's wrong with it.

Today I played a few hours with K-meleon to test it because I wanted to see how it performs.
Pages load very fast and that pleases me.
Much better than Firefox !

Installed NoScript and it kind of works but it's is extremely unpractical because it's impossible to add sites to its whitelist.
There's just a button to toggle it on or off, so it defeats 90% of the purpose of NoScript.
The only reason I see to keep it is to make use of it's ABE, XSS and ClearClick protection.
The actual extension is not good enough for selective script blocking and it needs a lot of improvements to be really useful.

At the moment I'm running KM 75.0 because 75.1 doesn't work for me.
The CPU goes to 50% and stays there.
It just hangs and needs killing with taskmanager.
Not sure what's wrong but I will try to find time to investigate later.

I managed to install and test some Firefox addons.
Most of them are not compatible, but ad blocking with the lightweight KarmaBlocker addon works great out of the box !
Just install it and forget it, no configuration required for the average user anyway.

Installed Free Download Manager to replace FireFox DownthemAll addon and it works but FDM is not very lightweight (25 Mcool smiley so I'm looking for some other DL manager to replace it.

Conclusion:

Maybe K-meleon will replace Firefox as my main browser but it needs a lot of work to make that happen.
I'm dieing to dump bloated FF and I will as soon as I get full NoScript and LastPass functionality in K-meleon.

Will do some more testing and try to solve the problems I ran into... :cool:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 12:38AM by NT Five.

Date: October 15, 2015 12:16AM

Wishlist:

- Tabs in the titlebar (like Firefox)
- Speeddial homepage.
- lightweight external download manager.
- Selective script blocking capabilities (NoScript style) to save bandwith and block malicious third party scripts.

I hope there are ways to accomplish these goals without too much trouble.

Date: October 15, 2015 12:32AM

Sometimes when I click a link it is opening a new window.
Is there a way to block this behavior and have them open a new tab instead ?

Edit:

I just found the option in the preferences. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 01:05AM by NT Five.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 15, 2015 03:20AM

NT Five
Wishlist:

- Tabs in the titlebar (like Firefox)
- Speeddial homepage.
- lightweight external download manager.
- Selective script blocking capabilities (NoScript style) to save bandwith and block malicious third party scripts.

I hope there are ways to accomplish these goals without too much trouble.

Go to the extensions forum/page & look there else in individualised unofficials.

1.) Do not know it. Possibly is a skinning option.
Or try with full screen options to get near it.

2.) Similar to SD exists e.g. in naruman's options test version.
Hao's old light versions had one. Extract from there and try to make it work.

3.) Exists as usable FF addons. Need km skripts that can pass on a link to manager or managers that can monitor apps for contact with pages.

4.) No Script proper, Blue Hell. Not all FF options work / as so often grinning smiley
I use Blue Hell for a similar purpose. Is unselective but knows many of the usual advert & bandwidth steelers' links to blook.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.