General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Links started opening in new window
Posted by: Slickone
Date: October 13, 2015 11:44PM

Somehow my setting switched on it's own and now links open a new KM window. How do I change it back to open in same window/new tab? I don't see a setting for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Links started opening in new window
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 14, 2015 06:15AM

Slickone
Somehow my setting switched on it's own and now links open a new KM window. How do I change it back to open in same window/new tab? I don't see a setting for it.

Look under: F2 -> Browsing Options -> General. IMHO.

Date: October 14, 2015 11:13PM

Is that a guess?

Date: October 15, 2015 02:06PM

Slickone
Is that a guess?

Yes! After being here some time I dare a wild guess.

p.s. Perhaps You can have a look in Prefs where i said whether maybe You can find it.

IMHO. Either You changed it there or Your mouse is broken. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 02:22PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 15, 2015 05:32PM

Slickone

Of course we can only guess grinning smiley
How shall we know what you've done? Perhaps you disabled tabs completey??
Or perhaps you mean only middle-clicked links? Or left-clicks too?
Or perhaps links from a bookmark, or from the desktop?? Or...

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: October 15, 2015 09:48PM

siria

Of course we can only guess grinning smiley

grinning smiley

The mouse wheel is broken?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 09:53PM by guenter.

Date: October 15, 2015 11:59PM

guenter
Slickone
Is that a guess?

p.s. Perhaps You can have a look in Prefs where i said whether maybe You can find it.

I guess I'm confused. There's only one place where this setting is in about:config, and possibly one place where it is in the GUI (if it is). I can't find it in the GUI. There is no "F2 -> Browsing Options -> General" in my KM, but I've looked (and had before 1st posting) all through every sub folder in F2 -> Browsing Options and I see no such option. I'm not really concerned with how it changed, but how to I change it back? The config setting location would be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 11:59PM by Slickone.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 16, 2015 12:50AM

Edit menu > Preferences

In the Preferences Window, it will be displayed the Browsing options about opening behavior and in the "Window diversion" tab, in the most top left of the options panel to the right of the tree.

Also, you'll see in the tree the Tabbed Browsing. Make sure it is enabled if you use tabs (I don't).

F2 was referring to the keyboard key to press to display preferences. I have a custom key, not the default. Maybe you changed it too.

Damn it. A screen capture maybe better? It is not easy to explain. Note: I don't show the tabbed browsing options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 12:52AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2015 07:21AM

Nice pic grinning smiley

Slickone
I guess I'm confused. There's only one place where this setting is in about:config, and possibly one place where it is in the GUI (if it is).

Depending on which one of the possibilities I listed above you switched, each one depends from a different pref. But so far you still didn't tell us:
Are tabs disabled completely now??
Are only middle-clicks affected??
Are left-clicks affected too??
Does it only happen when clicking links on the desktop or in a folder??
etc.
Yes it is 1 pref (or 1 shortcut key), be we're not clairvoyant if you do not give us more hints ;-)

Slickone
I can't find it in the GUI. There is no "F2 -> Browsing Options -> General" in my KM, but I've looked all through every sub folder in F2 -> Browsing Options and I see no such option.

So you did find Browsing, okay. Now the trick is:
The right panel is divided into several tabs too!
Yeah that's easily overlooked, you're not the first...
"Browsing" has 2 tabs: "General" + "Window Diversion"
Check both. Notice there are little drop-down arrows next to some fields. Pop them down too, to find more options.
Then below "Browsing", click on "Tabbed Browsing". Make sure, on top of it the TABS are enabled at all.
3rd there's yet another possibility, but try the above ones first and give us more details...

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 07:24AM by siria.

Date: October 16, 2015 07:28AM

Slickone
guenter
Slickone
Is that a guess?

I guess I'm confused. There's only one place where this setting is in about:config, and possibly one place where it is in the GUI (if it is). I can't find it in the GUI. There is no "F2 -> Browsing Options -> General" in my KM, but I've looked (and had before 1st posting) all through every sub folder in F2 -> Browsing Options and I see no such option. I'm not really concerned with how it changed, but how to I change it back? The config setting location would be fine.

Sorry. I thought You posted without having tried to look. So I pulled Your leg.

As JohnHell already said, I had suggested to Press F2 (the default key to call the Preference Panel). By default this would have opened at the tab Browsing Options. There is a slider called "open" that lets You change "what" opens. And below a number of check-boxes that let You set how this "what" opens. Each time You move to another "what" you can change it and it stays changed/becomes set that way, when You move to another "what". The code assumes that You have closed a choice panel set in the way You want it. kko created that the panel uses the minimum of user input, code and interfaces.

The next tab is "Window Diversion" with slider to two choices "what" and three check boxes . IMHO You changed something there and then moved to inspect what else/option is inside the slider. This makes the altered option stick.

JavaScript on pages also can do changes the opening behaviour of links.
So also inspect whether JavaScript Popup Behaviour etc. is set to Your liking.

About:config: Look into settings for browser.link... You can Google e.g. for info at http://kb.mozillazine.org

mozillazine
Some web sites choose to open certain links in new windows. This preference lets you control where to open these links, that would normally open new windows. You can use browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to fine tune which links will be affected by this preference.

The following two options let You fine tune.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_newwindow

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?title=Browser.link.open_newwindow

p.s. That I came here eleven years ago when we only had about:config to change even some commonly altered prefs does not mean I suggested that You look there. But it sure is the place that rules all prefs and lets You even add keys for normally implicit defaults so that they too can be changed.

BTW. Sometimes it is really a hardware failure that changes a behaviour. But that is the least common normal reason.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.