General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
stay current tab
Posted by: pantik
Date: October 22, 2015 02:12AM

Hello:

this browser is just amazing.

is there any way to open links in new tab staying the focus in the current tab.

thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stay current tab
Date: October 22, 2015 04:00AM

I found out i can do it with ctrl+right-click but i meant using mouse middle-button.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 22, 2015 04:25AM

There are several possibilities, all described lots of times in this forum, but for most people the quickest way is:

Menu Tools > Mouse accelerators > Firefox
Now middle-clicks open links in background.

A list with the possibilites:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/FAQ#mouseaccels

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 22, 2015 08:14AM

pantik
Hello:

this browser is just amazing.

is there any way to open links in new tab staying the focus in the current tab.

Yes.

1.) Go to the Preferences e.g. by F2. Opens "Browsing Options".
In that tab/panel is a drop down menue "Open".

Below it is a choice. Take in New Tab Background for all You want.

When You choose a new item in the "Open" menue the choice You have just selected is saved.

2.) If You click on a link with right mouse button pressed a menue opens that lets You choose what way You want to open a link. Choose open in Background Tab.

3.) You can tie the choice to a specific mouse gesture. Mouse gestures drop down menue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 08:19AM by guenter.

Re: stay current tab (middle-click to open links in background)
Date: October 22, 2015 09:21AM

PS, just curious:
Are you new to K-Meleon?
Which features do you like or dislike?

Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016

Date: October 22, 2015 11:13AM

guenter

I tried this with all options in menu "Open" but still when i click link with middle button it opens in focused tab. There, the ony i see is: typed URLs, Serch typed, Selected text... i tried with all but none worked. Maybe i missed something.
--

However, it was easy selection mozilla mouse accelator like Siria said.

Thanks both.

siria
PS, just curious:
Are you new to K-Meleon?
Which features do you like or dislike?

Not really. First time i used was close year 2000, when i needed some specific feature. But i did not used it again up to recently.

I like that it is super fast and super customizable. In the last month i tried, seamoney, qtweb, safari,.. i will talk about firefox it just suck writting constantly in my hdd when i am doing nothing. I had to juction the appdata folder to a hdd since i used a SSD. It is just terrible.

The only festure i miss is Save web as PDF. Several time i searched for this feature in some browser or plugin with no success. I only found it in sucking online services that ofcourse attacks my privacy. However i get gladly surprised when i found out that a simple and old open source browser like QtWeb had suck a feature so easy like Save as PDF. Since Qtweb is open-source i guess this feature would not be hard to add to K-meleon.

Good job of k-meleon devolopers and congrutalations for so amazing work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 02:08PM by guenter.

Date: October 22, 2015 11:16AM

And sorry for my english xD

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 22, 2015 02:07PM

pantik
guenter

I tried this with all options in menu "Open" but still when i click link with middle button it opens in focused tab. There, the ony i see is: typed URLs, Serch typed, Selected text... i tried with all but none worked. Maybe i missed something.

Make sure You have writing rights in the profile folder. If You selected portable install this must be done manually. Your problem smells like preference changes do not stick. Most people here are no English speakers and would not notice bad or good English. grinning smiley Greetings to Spain from Germany.

p.s. I removed the mail address - I do not want that it is found by spammers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 02:10PM by guenter.

Date: October 22, 2015 02:26PM

Thanks for delete the email.. hehe

Yes , i have portable version and i unticked the box "read only" in the profile folder and still it does not work. Anyway it does not look like any option in "Open" menu to be the option of middle-click a link. It is only typed urls, search typed and select text... Typed urls opens fine in background tab, same with serach typed . Select text i dont know what it means.

Date: October 22, 2015 02:27PM

Anyway with mouse accelaratos and mouse gestures is enough to me together with alt+right click. So don t worry smiling smiley

Date: October 22, 2015 02:29PM

I meant ctrl+right-click

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 22, 2015 04:20PM

Well, pantik, it's easy:

open the file [Your K-Meleon folder]\browser\defaults\settings\accel.cfg with your preferred text editor and find there (right after line 10) this part:
# Middle-click links to new windows/tabs:
%ifplugin tabs
MButton = openLinkInNewTab
%else
MButton = openLinkInNewWindow
%endif

# Middle-click links to the background (instead of the above):
#%ifplugin tabs
#MButton = openLinkInBackgroundTab
#%else
#MButton = openLinkInBackground
#%endif

These are two alternative sections for middle-click. Lines starting with # are commented (switched off).

You can see that 1-st section is active by default - it defines middle-click opening in foreground as it's described in 'section headline'.

You need the alternative settings to work - and the 2-nd section is commented out.

So you need comment code vice versa - like I did here:
# Middle-click links to new windows/tabs:
#%ifplugin tabs
#MButton = openLinkInNewTab
#%else
#MButton = openLinkInNewWindow
#%endif

# Middle-click links to the background (instead of the above):
%ifplugin tabs
MButton = openLinkInBackgroundTab
%else
MButton = openLinkInBackground
%endif

Copy this new peace of code and paste it instead the old one. Save file (in UTF-8). Restart K-Meleon. Enjoy your background middle-clicks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 04:21PM by rodocop.

Date: October 22, 2015 04:56PM

Oh , nice! Thank you very much. I apreciate it.

Date: October 22, 2015 07:33PM

pantik
The only festure i miss is Save web as PDF.

There are lots of free "virtual PDF-Printers" out there. They let you "print" in the browser to that "printer" and it produces a file on your harddisk instead of paper. Am not quite up-to-date and not using any since long, but here's a suggestion to start:
==> snapfiles.com/freeware/productivity/fwpdftools.html

pantik
Typed urls opens fine in background tab, same with serach typed . Selected text i dont know what it means.

It means you can highlight some text on a website with the mouse (example: the green snapfiles-link above, not working automatically without "www" :coolsmiling smiley, then need NOT copy-paste it manually into the URL bar, but instead only hit the Go-Button and it opens like a working link. Very cool thing smiling smiley
OR: highlight some word or sentence, then just hit the Search-Button to get results.

rodocop
open the file [Your K-Meleon folder]\browser\defaults\settings\accel.cfg with your preferred text editor and find there

Yes, but find it important to know that is the native default file for keyboard shortcuts. If this one gets changed you cannot "fix" it anymore by deleting a messed profile and creating a new one.
The intended way for users is to add only profile changes, via Edit>Configuration>Accelerators, that only changes the accel.cfg file in the current profile folder.
Of course, the big default file is still very helpful to look up and copy the needed commands from there :cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 08:06PM by siria.

Date: October 23, 2015 09:48AM

siria
Yes, but find it important to know that is the native default file for keyboard shortcuts. If this one gets changed you cannot "fix" it anymore by deleting a messed profile and creating a new one.
The intended way for users is to add only profile changes, via Edit>Configuration>Accelerators, that only changes the accel.cfg file in the current profile folder.
Of course, the big default file is still very helpful to look up and copy the needed commands from there :cool:
In my /defauls folder i only found /prefs so i changed the file accel.cfg in my profile folder.
Thank you for the help, nice support. I only need now to know how open external links with specific profile. I already created a thread about it : )))

Date: October 23, 2015 06:36PM

Hmm... you definitely have a settings folder in KM, or it's not KM... at least not a normal version from this site.

Your prob with external links (from Desktop or local files I suppose?) is just a bit difficult.
If there's no answer, it means none of us knows an answer, or we would have posted it ;-)
But most of our little group here are just advanced users, not developers, so just hope someone else may find a solution or hopefully someone with developing skills.

There exist commandline options to open KM with a specific profile:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/CommandLineOptions
But this seems to work only to open new sessions, not to open a link into an already running session. Perhaps your only chance is to drag&drop such links into the running KM window, but don't know.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.