General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
open external link with specific profile
Posted by: pantik
Date: October 22, 2015 11:29AM

Hello, i use different instances with different profiles simultaneously. But when i open external links it looks like they are opened with last opened instance. Could i select the profile/intance with which i open external links. I have selected to be asked which profile i want use when i open k-meleon. Now when i open external link i am asked to select profile but it does not open the link when the profile/intance is opened since it tries open a new instance. How can i achieve this? I only want external links to be opened with specific profile.

Sorry but i found nothing in help documents. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: open external link with specific profile
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 24, 2015 11:54AM

I may have an idea, but first I need to know exactly what you do now to open an external link. Do you click/double click on a file or do you do this on a shortcut?

Date: October 27, 2015 05:47AM

I do click on links sent from emails of my mail client (Sylpheed) although its the same if i open a link from any aplication as a link to the help of a aplication.
I still dont know how to get this. The external links are always opened in the last opened instance of k-meleon after the second click since the first open the profile manager asking for profile to chose.

I.e. i click the link so i get the profile manager asking me for chose profile. If i chose a profile it gives me a error saying instance is already opened. Then I ignore that and i click again so i get the link opened in last instance that i opened.

Date: October 27, 2015 05:49AM

So yes they are shortcuts : )

Date: October 27, 2015 12:57PM

I obtain the result of having external links open their own profile this way. I have one KM version as the default browser for my system. Usually this only opens external links. It has a single profile. The shortcut for this KM is in my taskbar. I seldom click this shortcut.

I have another KM shortcut on my desktop to a different KM. That is the one I on which I usually click for starting KM. Every KM on my system has the command line option '-new'.

All my installed KMs are portable. The profile resides with the KM. I do not use the Apps Data for any KM.

One benefit of this method is that I may have several KM instances running at the same time. I am fortunate in that my machine has the resources to support this.

One more question that I would ask is what are the main differences between your current two profiles? If the differences do not include items which can only be read in at startup, I may have an idea how you use a single KM instance and profile.

My default KM is 75.1 and I have just changed my primary KM from 75.1RC to 76. Both KM 75.1RC and 75.1Beta still have shortcuts on my desktop.

Posted by: PANTIK
Date: October 27, 2015 02:44PM

Well, using 2 diferent portables version did the job. Thank you very much.

Date: October 27, 2015 04:39PM

You are welcome. I am glad my solution works for you.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.