General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to retrieve passwords (with Nirsoft-Tools or else)?
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: November 04, 2015 09:29AM

How to retrieve webpage/user-id/password-combinations that were saved? What tool is necessary for that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to retrieve passwords (with Nirsoft-Tools or else)?
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 04, 2015 12:03PM

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/web_browser_password.html

1.) Does seem to work here. The first time it worked with below settings.
Then Crash then not working. Lost path to K-Meleon install folder.

After crash paths had to be reset to the proper place.

Set "Options" -> "Advanced Options" named "Firefox Installation" point to K-Meleon installation root folder.

Example: E:\K-Meleon74.0\

Set "Options" -> "Advanced Options" named "Firefox Profile" point to K-Meleon used profile.

Example: E:\K-Meleon74.0\Profiles\f8me5h5v.default

2.) If You need only the passwords for another K-Meleon without retrieving them?

Copy the *.sqlite files and *.db files from the previous profile over to the new one. I think permissions.sqlite and key3.db are the only ones needed. But I do not recall for sure.

To migrate passwords from 1.6/1.7 or earlier with K-Meleon natively You have to use 74 and set user.prefs to user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "72739712.s");
72739712.s is an example of the old passwords file name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 12:08PM by guenter.

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: November 05, 2015 07:27AM

Thanx; it seems that I have missed pointing to the appropriate K-Meleon-folder ... I'll have a detailed look at it; but it seems that I'll manage that ... smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 07, 2015 01:25PM

Which version(s) of K-Meleon are you using? Password storage changed in KM 76.

Date: November 07, 2015 02:07PM

JamesD
Which version(s) of K-Meleon are you using? Password storage changed in KM 76.

I also tested with 76beta. It can use PWD file and other files from the profile of 74.

Nirsoft passwords viewer will IMHO handle the pwd reading of 76 when it is final.

Date: November 08, 2015 01:01AM

guenter
I also tested with 76beta. It can use PWD file and other files from the profile of 74.

My passwords file in 76 is a json file named 'logins.json'. I was not sucessful copying my passwords from 75.1. Maybe I tried before some update.

Date: November 08, 2015 06:17AM

JamesD
guenter

My passwords file in 76 is a json file named 'logins.json'. I was not sucessful copying my passwords from 75.1. Maybe I tried before some update.

I must have done something different then You.

I copied over the whole 74 profile for reuse. After I logged in here (not before since I did not see them in privacy after startup) all old PWD showed.

Anyway. The Nirsoft tool shows PWDs both in 74 and 76.

p.s. maybe try the same way as me? Because it possibly automatically converted them. 74 had the ability to import older PWDs when You pointed it to the file that contained them.

Date: November 08, 2015 12:56PM

guenter

I just let KM 76 create a new file by going to each place for which I had a saved login and let KM76 store the password when I logged in. The passwords are natively stored in the logins.json file.

I have previously let KM make a 7-Zip copy of the files needed so that I could extract them into a new profile. Now I can do the same going forward because I changed the js code to use logins.json instead of signons.sqlite.

Old method:
var Current_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(0);  /*  PROFILE PATH */
var Reserve_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(1);  /*  OUTPUT PATH (WORKING DIRECTORY) */
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var Logins27z_Outfile = Reserve_Logins_Path+"\\KMlogins.7z" ;
var Logins27z_db = Current_Logins_Path + "\\key3.db" ;
var Logins27z_sql = Current_Logins_Path + "\\signons.sqlite" ;

WScript.Sleep( 2000) ;
var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_db+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"") ;
while (oExec.Status == 0)
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("One of two operations complete");
var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_sql+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"") ;
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("Two of two operations complete");

New method:
var Current_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(0);  /*  PROFILE PATH */
var Reserve_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(1);  /*  OUTPUT PATH (WORKING DIRECTORY) */
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var Logins27z_Outfile = Reserve_Logins_Path+"\\KMlogins76.7z" ;
var Logins27z_db = Current_Logins_Path + "\\key3.db" ;
var Logins27z_sql = Current_Logins_Path + "\\logins.json" ;

WScript.Sleep( 2000) ;
var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_db+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"") ;
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("One of two operations complete");
var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_sql+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"") ;
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("Two of two operations complete");

Date: November 08, 2015 03:38PM

Ok. I understand that. But I did not write about that and did not contradict You. I did not even know how things are stored now.

And I am sure that my K-Meleon 76beta copy creates the jason file from my 74 profile's passwords file so that it contains all my old passwords.
I tested this several times.

There was a total of 7 new jason files created.

After I deleted the jason that contains the old passwords the process is not repeated. I needed to use a new copy of the 74 profile.
I did not check why. This was only tested once.

I do not know what old files and settings help to do it. Too many options to search. The profile dates back to 1.5.4 and 1.6 times. It is so ancient and full of old files that it has a passwords file in the old signons format that was updated to sqlite...

I deleted the sqlite files. New sqlite files with the names are created at every startup.

Nirsoft passowrd viewer shows the passwords after/while the sqlite files are deleted. So I assume it reads the jason files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 04:10PM by guenter.

Date: November 08, 2015 05:11PM

guenter

Thanks for the info. I never reuse entire profiles - just parts for permissions and logins. I was confused before.

Date: November 09, 2015 03:16PM

JamesD, thank You for all Your contributions. Yes I am quite lazy and it is good that people can reuse old profiles and that things autoupdate when they do.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.