General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Saving preferences
Posted by: Mark
Date: March 23, 2013 04:14AM

Hello. Noticed a few questions about tab browsing where people were getting frustrated. I figured out how to change in Edit-Preferences-Browsing Options to displaying tabs instead of opening a new window. However, when filling out those preferences there doesn't seem to be a way to actually SAVE the new preference. It says to restart K-meleon to have changes take effect. I do that and then when I reopen it resets back to the original settings for those options I just changed. Why is that? What else do I need to do? I noticed as you are scrolling through each section of preferences, you can click "Next", "Back", or "Close", but there is no "SAVE". Driving me crazy. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saving preferences
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 23, 2013 10:13AM

@ Mark

It sounds like you do not have write authority to your profile. KM saves your changes when it is closed. They are in a file named prefs.js in your profile folder. You can find your profile folder by using EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. You should not edit prefs.js when KM is running. KM will re-write the upon closing.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: March 23, 2013 01:48PM

So how else do you change if it's not running? Thanks.

Date: March 23, 2013 01:53PM

Also, what caused me to not have write authority? Is it because I chose to keep it confined to one user when I did the install?

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 24, 2013 02:59PM

Mark
Also, what caused me to not have write authority? Is it because I chose to keep it confined to one user when I did the install?

Win2000, XP and higher do not grant by default writing privileges in
C:/program files/K-Meleon/profiles or any other place in program files
but have the default location for profiles and other user specific data in a central location. That location has the needed privileges by default.

Compare: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

The only difference for us is that the folder is called K-Meleon.

Yes. The option You used is for generating portable, Win98/ME and test installs.

Posted by: Chris
Date: April 02, 2013 01:01PM

I'm having the same problem as Mark. I understand the cause of the problem, but what do I have to do to fix it? Can anybody give any easy step by step instructions as I'm not savvy with this kind of stuff at all. It is a frustrating problem. I love the browser, and the fact that it uses hardly any of my system resources like the big brand browsers. But if I can't sort this problem out, it's enough to put me off using it. Thanks

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 02, 2013 07:15PM

@ chris

I will try to help, but first I will need some information about your installation of K-Meleon.

What version of KM are you running?

Did you install the KM or did you just extract the files from a 7z?

Where has it placed your profile?
You can find the profile location by using the following.
From KM menu - EDIT > CONFIGURATION > PROFILE DIRECTORY

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 02, 2013 07:35PM

Chris
But if I can't sort this problem out, it's enough to put me off using it.

Nobody here cares what browser You use. It is totally up to You. BTW IMHO You got to get to know default data storage location on your system anyway.

Go via menue item Edit / Configuration to the item Profile Directory. Open it.

Press the windows button "one level up". Right click on Your profile folder and change the Windows system Properties so that You as user own it and have writing rights. Then the K-Meleon You start has them also. Other users on Your machine cannot change Your settings unless they log in as You.

That is the way I do it. My grandchild has free use on my PC.

On Windows 7 You can find the profile directory easier via the info the next link gives for all Mozilla products.

Compare: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

Else go to the K-Meleon install directory an delete the file profile.ini.

On the next start K-Meleon will create a new profile in the default location of Your system where You got writing privileges automatically.

That always works.

Make sure that this effect You complain about is not caused by a sand-box.
One guest user on my Windows 7 caused it by clicking away a ok to "I do not know this K-Meleon.exe I will put it into a sand-box" OK?

After that all the guest users kept complaining about lost bookmarks...

I took me a couple of days to find what caused it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 07:40PM by guenter.

Posted by: Chris
Date: April 02, 2013 10:31PM

Thanks very much guenter, that worked! I can save my preferences now!

guenter
Nobody here cares what browser You use. It is totally up to You.

It wasn't a 'threat', I was just saying. Sorry if it came across that way

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.