General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Changing the Lock Icons
Posted by: callahan
Date: December 06, 2015 06:59PM

This is not a problem with the new K_Meleon 76 beta 2 version ... this is just a preference that I like.

I want to change the three lock icons. I have a set of solid black open and closed locks and a bright red lock with a line through it for unsecure.

I have changed the lock icons before in older versions of KM ... including KM v1.8 with Resource Hacker. I have changed the lock icons in K-Meleon 76 beta 2 but they are not showing up when KM is started. The original lock icons are still there even though they were replaced with Resource Hacker ... that would be Lock Icons 183, 184 and 185.

Any ideas why the new icons are not being displayed?
thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2015 07:01PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing the Lock Icons
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 06, 2015 10:26PM

The most safe way is to patch not the kmeleon.exe but the kmeleon.dll.

There are no such file for en-US locale, but you can ask Dorian for newest kmeleonloc.dll, patch it as you need and save as locales\en-US\kmeleon.dll

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 07, 2015 12:09AM

it's no longer required to hex the binary as they secure icons are over ridden by the ico files in skins\default folder
sbroken.ico
sinsecur.ico
ssecur.ico

replace those icons in the future but since you've already hexed your binary, renaming those ico files or deleting them will point back to the icons in the binary.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 07, 2015 12:38AM

wonderful! I missed this.

Posted by: callahan
Date: December 07, 2015 04:54AM

Thank you rodocop and disrupted for your help.

Disrupted ... in 2010 I got help from you with using Resource Hacker to change the lock icons in KM 1.6 with the lock icons from KM 1.5. I was going to mention your name and all this in my first post but I had not seen any posts from you for awhile ... I thought you had moved on ... glad to see you're still here.

You also made the nice lighthouse throbber that I still use in KM 76 with the Klassic skin.

I have a backup copy of KM 76 saved so I can easily go back before I used Resource Hacker ... I am just trying different settings and other things with this copy to make my final copy the way I want it.

This is from 2010 ... I guess ancient history by now.

Date: September 24, 2010

It's not complicated, the icons are compiled inside the kmeleon.exe itself and first you'll need to extract them from KM 1.5.x exe.

Open 1.5 kmeleon.exe in Resource Hacker, expand the folder called "Icon Group". Communication icons numbers are 183 (secure), 184 (nonsecure) and 185 (broken).

Select the icon you want to extract and right click and select "Save Icon Group"

... there's a little more but that's most of what you posted over 5 years ago ... times change.

thanks again ... had a different forum name back then, got tired of it.

callahan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 05:03AM by callahan.

Date: December 07, 2015 07:53AM

thanks rodocop and callaham, i'm still around but not as much as i'd have liked.
it's nice to see old users again and i'm glad to be of help.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.