General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
OK, I've missed something... :s
Posted by: gordon451
Date: May 04, 2013 08:23AM

Looking to extend K-M's lifespan, downloaded 1.6.0b2.5, and (in Admin) unzipped it into a brand new folder in Program Files(x86), dragged a shortcut to the Admin desktop, copied it to my own Start Menu.

Problem: "The selected profile can't be loaded. It's already in use or the profile folder is not accessible" This happens in both Admin and my own account.

What happened?

Gordon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OK, I've missed something... :s
Date: May 04, 2013 11:26AM

Ummm... Was this 32-bit designed to run in x64?

I did finally persuade it to run, somehow I got it to make a new profile. But no preference changes would stick, and while the "Browse" option for some new folders would show the new "Profiles" subfolder in KM160b25/, that folder was never actually created.

It really looks like I'll have to retire KM. A lot of JS/ECMAscript doesn't work now: the Error Console indicates it is non-standard or otherwise non-compliant. Unfortunately, Lotto wins are like hens' teeth at the moment, so funding a C++ body is not on the cards sad smiley

It's a damn shame, this was the best browser I have ever had the privilege of using. And it's so bloody fast!

Gordon.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 04, 2013 11:29AM

I am not quite sure what happened to your setup. I don't understand "dragging a shortcut to the desktop".

Where do you wish your profile to be located? There are two choices and they are (1) with the program and (2) in your %appdata% folder. Since you have logins for admin and other, it sounds like you need to put the profile in your %appdata% folder or put the entire KM program and profile in a folder to which your non-admin login has write access.

To put the profile in %appdata%, the method is to extract the files from 7z to a folder in Program files. Prior to the first run of the program, you must find the file named profile.ini and delete it. It is located in the KM root directory. Then the way to do it is as follows: Logout of admin. Login as user. Then from the desktop, create a shortcut to k-meleon.exe and double click it to run KM. The absence of the empty file "profile.ini" will cause KM to create your profile in your user %appdata% folder. You will have write authority there.

Note: If you are going to just clean up your existing files, then you must also delete a folder named Profiles in the KM root directory prior to running KM as user.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: May 04, 2013 12:38PM

G'day James!

Er... "dragging a shortcut to the desktop": OK, normally you would right-click on a file, drag it to where-ever and drop it, then choose from the context menu. Sort of like doing a Ctrl-LeftClick drag-n-drop... one of MicroSoftInTheHead's W7 cute tricks, is that you can't drag a shortcut directly to the Start Menu, but you can drag one to there from the Desktop :O:s

I was wondering why nothing was going in the "profiles.ini"! Thanks for that, James, I'll go do it now. It's so simple when you know how tongue sticking out smiley

Gordon.

Date: May 04, 2013 02:23PM

Update...

I did it :cool: A-a-a-nd (oh deity! I've GOT to get rid of this &^$%*& spell checker) :mad: anyway, I also learned how to set up multiple profiles :cool: to run the two versions separately!

Thanks, James!

Gordon.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.