General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
why opens *this* window in background?
Posted by: whiskydean
Date: January 31, 2004 11:33AM

Hi,

when I open this page: https://banking.diba.de/

the more important pop-up window opens in background. Why this? All other new windows open in foreground.

How can I change my settings to force *all* new windows to open in foreground?

Thanks for your help.
Dean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why opens *this* window in background?
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 31, 2004 12:31PM

Hallo whiskydean,
also wenn wir beide an das gleiche denken?

standarteinstellung ist popup blocken.
unter preferences privacy recht unterster block popup windows deaktivieren.
unter Bearbeiten, Einstellungen, ...(hab leider die englische Einstellung)
vermute "Sicherheit" 3te Funktion von oben)
zumindest, wenn du banken gehst (dann sollte es eigentlich gehen).
ich hatte zwar beim probieren ein pop-under (unter), aber das fenster hat sich geöffnet.
das brauchte ich nur mit Maus hochholen. kannst du damit leben.

ist normal für abblocken von werbepopups.
also: wenn von bank weg, wieder anstellen; )
greetings

Date: January 31, 2004 12:53PM

Hallo,

mit dem Popup Blocker hat das nix zu tun, glaube ich. Aber mit den Macros.

Wenn ich die Macros de-aktiviere, dann kommt das Popup nach oben. Wenn ich die Macros wieder aktiviere, dann "popts" im Hintergrund auf. Soweit habe ich schon recherchiert...

Aber was bei den Macros läßt das neue Fenster im Hintergrund öffnen? Das hab ich noch nicht gefunden... hmm, sind wir "germans" zu doof ;-)

Grüsse zurück!

Possibly a BUGG - which?
Date: January 31, 2004 01:30PM

hi whiskydean,
he-he - I guess I totally missunderstood the problem - not the easy question/solution I rammbeled on/thought of in German.

I gave it a try with another browser (or three) whether it k-m specific or no.
k-m seems to have/HAS a fault with which window must be up.

Mozilla 1.5 final and 1.7a, MSIE 5.5 and T-onlineIE 5.1 pop up the two html-windows vice versa.

What You observed is very likely a fault in k-m java.scripting engine.
this fault might be IMHO a thing/observation related to Bug 620.

But I do not know enough about buggs and scripting-engine to tell You. -sorry -
So You will have to wait until someone that knows about k-m buggs more than me to tell You what and why this is, whether it a known thing or a new bugg. - sorry -
greetings guenter

Date: January 31, 2004 01:53PM

Hi...

back to english? OK... ;-)

I found it... the background-popup only showed with enabled macro-plugin. After switching off the macros the popup window came up in the foreground. So I checked the macro.cfg and found this:

# EVENT MACROS

OnLoad {
$URL=""; $URL == "about:blank" ? id(ID_SELECT_URL) : "";
&buttonSync;
}

I deleted this whole set and now my windows come up in the foreground. Thats all I wanted.

I'm not sure what this "OnLoad" is all about, but my K-M still works... and I don't want to switch off the macros, because the function is needed for the popup-blocker icon in the toolbar.

So now K-M is the ww-best browser again... even in Germany ;-)

Date: January 31, 2004 04:45PM

hi to All,
I wrote English in case whiskydean did not find a way to fix the problem himself.
No use to write German (which I write and speak faster) if it excluds some one that perhaps knows and/or can help with the problem.

I do not know what the purpose of the event macro is!
maybe someone else knows and will post the answer

since whiskydeans problem is fixed for him with his own workaround, I rattel on in German. that is easier for me folks, ok?
k-m the browser of endless fexibility - he he smiling smiley)
I have only some comments and a question i want to ask whiskydean.
greetings from Hanover

hallo whiskydean,
Onload ist zumindest bei normalen html seiten das js-kommando "beim laden sollst du gleich machen" - was du aber sicherlich auch wußtest.

du hast jetzt entweder einen fehler (bugg) selbst gefixt

- oder etwas ausgestellt, das vermutl. unerwünschte popups behindern sollte.

k-m wird von einigen im forum besonders wegen seiner flexibiltät geschäzt.
warum also nicht machen? die bankenseite ist sicher!

& Wenn es allgemeine popup abwehr sein sollte?
Du wirst ja beim besuch anderer seiten sehen,
ob der neue oder alte zustand besser war.

Man sagt, dass letzte wort hat das experiment.
- ich würde gezielt auf eine seite gehen,
wo mit einigen unerwünschten popups zu rechnen ist.

webshots zum beispiel: da waren einige - wenn du es derbe und mit dialerfalle haben willst kann ich dir auch eine gute seite empfehlen. soll ich? zwincker ; )

und dann gucken, ob ich den neuen oder alten zustand vorziehe.

Wenn deine Änderung nicht gut für das altägliche browsen ist, würde ich ein profil mit genau dieser änderung anlegen und ein weiteres für normal - aber daran hast du sicher auch schon gedacht. Wenn du dich mit js auskennst, hast du MSIEs kleine welt längst hinter dir. da kann ich dich höchtens an was erinnern - dass du selbst auch kennst.

eine Frage habe ich auch:
es gibt nen schönen artikel in ct - die kiddies haben MSIE zum abschuß auserkohren. "Volkssport" Internet-Explorer-Missbrauch
als titel fast bildzeitungsmäßig.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/44200

ich habe drei kreuze geschlagen, dass von MSIE ab bin.
& ich überlege grade - ob ich den artikel für das forum übersetze, was meinst du zu der idee - kann man das machen. oder ist das zu allgemein für das allgemeine forum?
gruss aus Hannover

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 31, 2004 07:23PM

the background-popup only showed with enabled macro-plugin. After switching off the macros the popup window came up in the foreground

That's odd. The popup window opens in the foreground for me. Not sure why it's opening in the background for you.

I'm not sure what this "OnLoad" is all about, but my K-M still works... and I don't want to switch off the macros, because the function is needed for the popup-blocker icon in the toolbar.

If you deleted that section in macros then the Popup Blocker Button might show the wrong state when you start K-Meleon. Everything within the OnLoad macro is performed whenever a page has finished loading. &buttonSync references the buttonSync macro found in the # TOGGLE BUTTON MACROS section. It checks whether popups are allowed or blocked and makes the Popup Blocker button show the correct state whenever a page finishes loading. So, for instance, if you execute another macro that changes/toggles whether popups are allowed or blocked, the next time a page loads, the Popup Blocker Button will show the correct state.

The other line within the OnLoad macro gives focus to the URL Bar whenever you open a blank page.

Neither of these should effect whether pages open in the foreground or background. It doesn't effect mine. I don't know why it effected yours. Maybe it has something to do with connection speed? I'm using broadband..maybe it happens only with DialUp? BTW, just curious, why don't you go directly to the popup page instead of the less important page?

Posted by: Marc (@box.)
Date: January 31, 2004 07:37PM

jsnj:
I've done some tests. It is in fact the code for url-bar focus that causes the problem.

If instead of the id() statement you write alert("test"), you'll see the alert box two times while the popup opens (only once for the main window). I think it's a side effect of our fix (bug 543) of one of mfcembed bugs. What Ulf has done is hide the 2 opening steps. And KM is still seeing 1 window with blank url, a second one with blank url and finally the correct one with the correct url (so no alert box for step 3 in my test above).

Now, why does id(ID_SELECT_URL) triggers the focus problem? I really don't know. We have several other problems with window focus and macros (eg "detach layer" macro).

whiskydean:
To fix you problem simply comment the first line of the OnLoad() macro. This one:
$URL=""; $URL == "about:blank" ? id(ID_SELECT_URL) : "";

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 31, 2004 07:50PM

Hmm....so it's still related to the whole stealing focus bug & fixes...

I wonder why I don't get the problem. Could it be the "Single Window Mode" prefs or is it just a matter of connection and/or processor speed?

One thing I do notice that may or may not be related to the whole stealing focus issue. In "Single Window Mode" if you open a new WINDOW for the first time during a browsing session, (ex: About K-Meleon via the Help menu), it opens in the background, but the subsequent times during that session it will open in the foreground.

Date: January 31, 2004 07:53PM

hi jsnj,
The big html-window looks like it tries to open at the front but imidiately looses focus - for me anyway.
Could the user language or maybe some other setting have anything to do with it?
(maybe the windows version I have win ME).
I also looked at the script in the pages but did not know enough js. My own knwöedge of js is very limited to the things I learned to make my home page.
greetings

Date: January 31, 2004 09:47PM

jsnj:
I'll have to contradict myself. I've a site that opens popups (the pages that I used as tests for the bug reporting system) and I can't reproduce multiple calls to OnLoad().
I really don't know what is special about this site. Maybe this is a combination of a problem with macros and focus, and KM loading 2 pages at the same time (the popup is spawned by [body onload=""])

Anyway for those wanting to avoid the problem, simply comment the first line of the OnLoad() macro.

Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: February 01, 2004 12:37AM

ich nicht sprechen die deusche. smiling smiley (judging from how bad that looks, I bet it's the full truth, and nothing from the truth. tongue sticking out smiley)

Date: February 01, 2004 01:36AM

hi Null = Zero,
how is the wee dragon child. all problems sorted? or do we still have to keep the other problem thread alive.

I did not know that You spoke Hegeljan language. he he.
funny, thought of Your unfair dragon child - returned to look into forum because of that issue - but did not find a new a post. Sort of assumed the child is all right.

Many hegelian speakers in the forum. there was a review of MSIEs faults in the leading German PC magazine. Headline sort of: The New Sport: taking advantage of MSIEs insecurities. Plus some details smiling smiley)

I was considering to translate/review that article for our forum, but decided to leave it out, because this might be too general even for this forum.
how would You think about my idea to review?
Greetings wee dragon (k-m) user guenter

Posted by: Zeronero
Date: February 01, 2004 06:09AM

Howdy guenter - from context I would say your above comments are more directed at me since I called KM DragonChild & crazy enough to mention Hegel as being simple & understandable. I do not not this forum is the place to wax Hegelian no matter influential on my thinking. Same with Martin, the famous student, Edmund Husserl leaving it to you to figure the name dropping. :-D :-)

The post before yours is from SJ Zero. I on other hand am Zeronero in that I am not cesaer nero being sans culotte sort.

You have not heard from me because I was busy laying out my experiment to isolate the source of error. What I have as a conclusion is provisional. Although I can think in logical terms, this is beginning to be beyond my depth. I am quite sure a BS computer science w/ an emphasis on the Java & Javascript languages would not hurt.

One can tell that is me writing because given the verbose character for when I am terse I am cryptic. Besides for me publish in German would mean trusting translation software. Mostly they translate word for word without regard for syntax.

Regards,
Zeronero
Ps. would like a copy. Sent to forum would bring criticism for being not related to KM; see comments on Kearny's link posts. Am not critical of such myself, ZN

Date: February 01, 2004 09:10AM

Marc wrote: "Anyway for those wanting to avoid the problem, simply comment the first line of the OnLoad() macro."

Thanks for your replies. After deleting all this "OnLoad" stuff, K-M behaves like I wanted. And the popup-button still works.

But I would like to try your "comment" fix. But how do I do it? Do you mean to write an "#" in the beginning of the first line? That would be the same as deleting the whole section, right?

Thanks again for your reply.
Dean

Date: February 01, 2004 09:18AM

Hi Zeronero,
guess I missposted - becaue zero sj wrote Germansmiling smiley - I understood himsmiling smiley
its the link in the long German text above/top - also look into under Your other post about the wee dragon being so sick. I found a link to 0.8.1 copy in Wiki.
use link? use address?
greetings from Hanover

about p.s. guess You are right, scolded - relevance? hegelians - 1 speaking no other lingo - came to forum - do they normally? Say where to put German2Enlish 4 U. Yeast: found 100ds of kiddi-sites sniping at holes (short search!).

Date: February 01, 2004 09:32AM

moin günter... das war ein Sturm letzte Nacht, was? Nur mit Rum-Grog zu ertragen ;-)

Bist Du eigentlich auf Monkeesages neue K-M Version umgestiegen? Ich hab sie seit gestern drauf und finde sie subjektiv schneller (650 Mhz, w2k).

Date: February 01, 2004 11:38AM

whiskydean wrote:
> But I would like to try your "comment" fix. But how do I do
> it? Do you mean to write an "#" in the beginning of the first
> line? That would be the same as deleting the whole section,
> right?

Exactly.

Date: February 01, 2004 01:40PM

moin whiskydean,
jau - & rum mütt sien, tzucker kann & water bruk nich.

& monkey-sages brew: jau - hatn paar tweaks gleich drin,
die man sonst selbst machen muß. Forum e.g. : hi & low tweaks
Nur Sun -java geht nich, murr, jedenfalls hier.
gehe immer auf unclgus.com da hab ich system-klong chime. sad smiley(
drauf: 0.7.1, 0.8.2, sages-brew1.7b, msie5.5 & 5.1 von t-offline, ns4.8en, 7.1en, 7.1de, usw. zum home-page testen.
gruss aus Hannover

Posted by: Zeronero
Date: February 01, 2004 09:48PM

Howdy guenter: I sought to save thee from the flames of publishing a Hegelian article however interesting not, "guess You are right, scolded ..." The majorian reader has a narrow focus & topics philosophical especially anti-microsoft philosopy would be considered too outre or over the top.

The above translated: Grüß dich guenter : ICH suchte zu sparen dich vom Flammen über veröffentlichen ein Hegelian Artikel doch interessant nicht , " denken Sie haben recht , schaltet. " Die als hauptfach studierend Leser hat ein dicht Brennpunkt & Themen philosophisch besonders Anti- - Mikroskop Philosoph würdet sein besonnen zu übertreffen oder auch übers Spitzen-. [Too, bad for us Hegelians. ;-( ]
Most likely nearly unreadable.

I only looked at sourceforge dl page - K-M.

Ah, romantic Hanover in the rain. Just merely dreary @ bottom Lake Missoula (glacial) (eons ago was 100 miles long).

Best regards,
ZN

Date: February 01, 2004 10:47PM

hi zeronero,
but only almost - wee dragon installed as 0.8.1 - which files to send now?
if I get trough the filters & best regards

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.