General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
KM under restricted ad. rights
Posted by: Norbert
Date: January 31, 2004 03:53PM

Hi,

K_meleon is a very fine browser. Unfortunately I have a problem with this browser when it's running under a user with restricted administrator rights. I red that it is more safe when a browser is running under a user with restricted rights.

First I installed K_meleon under "documents\Settings\All User's". But this doesn't work for the user with the restricted rights.
When I start K-Meleon here I was asked for each plugin if I want to install or not. Finally K-Meleon tells me that a macro (?) folder or something like a config-folder was not found. When I respond to this with "o.k." there is an error-information that something like a reading process in the memory could not proceed.

Then I installed K_Meleon separetely under a user with restricted rights (documents\settings\user name). This worked very well for a while but now
the browser stops internet traffic after 2 or three seconds.

When I take another link or adress it's the same. There aren't any problems when I take an user with full administrator rights.

I suppose that there is a problem because my IE favorites which I use with k-Meleon are stored on another disk /drive.
I dont't want that the favorites are stored at different but at a central place so that every user uses the same favorites.

I would be very glad if somebody could tell me if I can use K-Meleon with a user of restricted adminitrator rights and store the favorites at a central place.

My OS is XP-Home. My Internet access is ISDN.

Regards
Norbert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM under restricted ad. rights
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 31, 2004 05:08PM

Hi Norbert,
IMHO You install as administrator - make it accessible to all users
- but You just do not surf as administrator (surfing as admin is riski)
open browser as admin while offline open Favourites of k-m open Config option & set folder there.
greetings from Hannover

Date: January 31, 2004 08:51PM

Hi Guenter,

thanks for your answer. My English is not the very best. Hope that I understand
what you wrote: I reinstalled K-Meleon for All User as Administrator, opened
the favorites and config and set the folder for the favorites - in my case it's a drive on the second disk.

Unfortunately it's the same result as before. When I start K_meleon for the restricted user there is a message that a new plugin was found and if I want to load this. Then, there is an information that the menus.cfg and macros.cfg under
documents and setting\all users\K-meleon wasn't found.

What about this cfg ?

Greetings from Minden

Norbert

Date: January 31, 2004 09:29PM

Hi Norbert,
I can only offer German or English. sorry. You have more chance if I write English.
question: You completely deinstaled or deleted k-m before You reinstalled?
those that know more than me always remind me of that. (errst deinstalieren dann!)

Did You try to locate the missing file by search (suchen).
In case You find them by chance copy them there were XP wants them.
(suchen menü, findest du sie -> dahin kopieren, wo xp will)

which plugins?
If I remeber correctly there is an English explanation with/written on the popups that something is missing - if You click no - it should be generated?
but I am not sure.
(glaube man mußte nein klicken bei iregdwelchen plugin fragen,
dann wurden sie erstellt)
greetings from Hannover

p.s. dies ist ein internationales forum - niemand nimmt anstoß, wenn wir deutsch sprechen - nur solange wir englisch schreiben - können uns die anderen helfen,
wenn du den fehler nicht findest, wir den fehler nicht gemeinsam finden oder ich keine lösung weiß. ok
notfalls schick nen screenshot mit der meldung (taste drucken macht screenshot / einfügen in bildbearbeitung und als jpg schciken an
"bei" = "at" =" @" verstanden? weil ich möchte keine spam.
1770.779beihtp-tel.de
das bei vor htp wird ersetzt durch e-mail zeichen, ok.

Date: February 01, 2004 09:04AM

Hi Guenter,

thanks for all your help. Here are my answer for your questions:

1. I completely deinstalled KM before reinstalling (including registry entries)

2. When I start K_meleon with the icon of the KM_loader in the system tray
a window named "Plugin found" opens. This window tells me that a new plugin was found

Date: February 01, 2004 09:38AM

Hi Guenter,

thanks for all your help. Here are my answer for your questions:

1. I completely deinstalled KM before reinstalling (including registry entries)

2. When I start K_meleon with the icon of the KM_loader in the system tray
a window named "Plugin found" opens. This windows contains the text:
a new plugin was found. History plugin. Would you like to load this plugin ?
"Yes" or "No". Then KM opens this window/asks me for each plugin if I want to
load or not. It makes no difference if I say "Yes" or "No" . because whatever
I'm doing there
is always the information that the macros.cfg and the menus.cfg in
documents and setting\all users\KM wasn' t found.
Finally the following information is displayed:

Die Anweisung in 0x77c0d988 verweist auf Speicher in 0x00000000c. Der
Vorgang "read" konnte nicht auf dem Speicher durchgeführt werden."

I don' t understand why KM under the restricted user can't open the menus.cfg
and the macros.cfg from the default-Folder in "all users".
3. whatever the reason maybe , where to put the cfg's ? In the documets and
setting folder of the restricted user ? Is this enough or do I have to copy the
complete default folder ?

4. The problems descripted only exist for the "restricted user". Perhaps it' s
because the "restricted user" may not change to other disks/drives where are
the favorites are. I think thios point is perhaps important because the IE is
when opening also displaying the following warning:

Please run this program from the administrator account so it can set up
your license. Once the license is setup you can run it from any account.
After this information the "stupid" IE is running without problems.
I dont't know why I should setup which license ?

Do you have an idea what to do ?

Have a nice weekend. Rainy greetings from Minden.

Norbert

Date: February 01, 2004 09:45AM

hi Norbert,
did You look under loader in forum?
some people had trouble with the loader.
They stoped using the loader - if I recall rightly.
does Your k-m work without loader with normal icon start from destop?
now?
greetings from Hannover

p.s. mehrere threads im forum erwähnen probleme mit dem loader, habe sie nicht weiter verfolgt, benutze keinen loader, versuch mal ohne loader zu starten,
ihn auch aus autostart zu werfen, wenn er da drin ist.
k-m started übrigens auch ohne ihn sehr flott.
du hast alles richtig gemacht. soweit ich weiß - du es beschreibst.
werde nacher - wen bitten, ob ich k-m dort auf xp instalieren kann. aber ob da ganz die selbe configuration ist? meine xp maschine ist nur für offline - hatte dort keine probleme. hab aber den loader nie benutzt - dort sind viele browser zum seiten testen - und es gibt nur den admin - weil off-line ist das sicher genug ; )
diese ME maschine ist nur für net.

Date: February 01, 2004 10:10AM

Hi Guenter,

I' have exit the loader and tried to start K_Meleon with K-Meleon.exe from it's installation place (all users). Unfortunately it's the same problem: I'm asked if I want to load xy plugin....... .

I will try a another time with my XP-home installation on my second disk.

Danke für all die Mühe.

Norbert

Date: February 01, 2004 10:35AM

Hi,

I forgot something. It's a bit strange that there is no desktop Icon of KM for the "restricted user" although I activated it during the installation process.

Besides this I gave full administrator rights to my "restricted user" in order to see what happens. The result: Starting with the loader there is the information "no menu". After this KM opens. When I start KM via KM.exe there is again an information that the plugins are missing>no menu but then KM opens.

Norbert

Date: February 01, 2004 12:09PM

Hi,

I installed K_meleon (without loader) on my second XP-Home_system on my
second disk. I use this disk normally to backup. For this I didn't install any
anti-virus´, firewall- or other special programs on this disk.

This new "Setting" doesn't change anything concerning the problems with K_Meleon, there are always the same errors: K_meleon can't find the configs.

Don't know what more to try.

Thanks for all

Norbert

Date: February 01, 2004 01:17PM

Hi Norbert,
That sounds like improvenent but not like success.
did You try both: Yes to the plugin! and no to the plugin.
Which type of plugin is k-m complaining about at the moment?
one of the kplugins or a normal plugin?
Still the kplug-ins I presume? Yes?

Icon for the user: just link the k-m.exe icon to destop - I always do it like that.
I actually got someone that will install k-m under the same conditions under xp.
(admin & user) She has used alternative browsers before. (I downloaded for her a German copy of Netscape 7.1 // I have d-sl he he // which she wanted to have, burned our dragon child/k-m0.8.2 on the cd as well - & pointed out that k-m is the fastest browser at the moment, wink). We will know in the evening: how it must be done under with xp/admin & user or we have one more German speaking queriing member of the forumwinking smiley
greetings

p.s. Ernsthaft: Maria hat schon mehrmals Netscape und Mozilla browser gehabt, du weißt ja das gute mail progi mit den smilies ist dabei - grinz.
Sie weiß, wie man plugins zwischen browsern austauscht und zum laufen bringt. Sie wohnt in Laatzen, da kann ich dann notfalls hin. gucken was ist, d. h. ich kann mir die fehlermeldungen vor Ort ansehen und tappe nicht mehr so im dunkeln. poste du wenn und wie es läuft, ich mach es auch so. OK?

plugins: es gibt zwei sorten:
k-m spezifische in kplugins
allgemeine Netscape (z. B. java) in plugins

kplugins: fehlende dateien und plugins: z. B. macos.cfg etc. die du nennst und die xp nicht allein findet. Oder die xp in einem Profil nicht findet.

(eigentlich sollte das automatisch gehen: aber na ja, seuftz)

du suchst sie unter Einstellungen usw. vermutlich auf der partition, wo xp instaliert ist. Wenn nicht dort suche sie im k-m verzeichnis. kopiere sie zusätzlich dahin, wo xp sie vergeblich sucht.

Netscape plug-ins: Falls da dein xp auch beschwerden hat?
ehe die letzte k-m version so schlau wurde, haben wir immer das plug-in verzeichnis eines Netscape 7.1 in das plugin Verzeichnis von k-m kopieren müssen. Netscape 7.1 weil da die vollständigste plugin sammlung bei ist.

Also die allgemeinen nicht die k-m spezifischen plugins. Dort werden sie erkannt. das geht bis k-m 0.7.1 ohne weiteres - andreas hier aus dem forum ist zu dieser älteren version gewechselt - weil er die sache da besser kontrolieren kann.
Man kann es jetzt immer noch so versuchen. Die pluginreg.dat ist in Profiles,
dort sind die registrierten plugins mit namen und weg eingetragen.

Wenn nicht anders setze ich eine Frage ins forum ob die automatisch neu gemacht wird (man sie also löschen kann) oder ob man sie editieren muß.

Du kannst es versuchen, wenn du irgendwo einen anderen Gecko browser mit plugins hast, kopier sie in plugins. entweder er erkennt sie sofort oder du versteckst ihm die reg.dat irgendwo und guckst, was er macht.

Icons auf desctop bringen, ich mache es meist mit eXec einem deutschen freeware NC clone von http://home.t-online.de/home/jan.straeter/download.htm
als zip etwa 500 kb. nicht so viele Funktionen wie kostenpflichtige progis
aber billig (free), in deutsch und stabil.
eines meiner 6 meist gebrauchten progis!
damit kann man die vermißten dateien auch schnell hin und her kopieren und suchen.
gruss guenter

Date: February 01, 2004 03:15PM

Hi Guenter,

I'm impressed: you never give up ? OK. Here are the plugins which are asked to load when I want to start KM (it's only the window "A new plugin was found ..." which opens, nothing else).

At first it makes no difference if I confirm with "yes" or "no" after each "Plugin-Question"

The plugins are:

bitmapped menus
external program control
IE favorites
Fullscreen
Mouse gestures
history
layered windows
macro extension > "no macros.cfg found " if confirmed with "yes"
rebar menu
toolbar control

Then, new window: "Could not find menus.cfg" >ok

After that (big surprise!!!) KM starts when I confirmed with "yes". When I confirmed with "no" nothing happens.

Hope this information is helpful.

Greetings
Norbert

Pconfused smiley.
Also, einen anderen Gecko-Browser benutze ich nicht. Habe allerdings vor einiger Zeit Thunderbird installiert (auch ein tolles E-Mail -Programm). Habe mit diesem Programm etwas herumexperimentiert, weil ich es wie KM für unterschiedliche Nutzer auf unterschiedlichen XP-Systemen installiert habe und
wollte, dass Thunderbird die Daten immer an derselben Stelle ablegt bzw. immer auf dieselbe Stelle zugegriffen wird, wenn gespeicherte E-Mails abgerufen werden.

Diese Geschichte war ein bisschen frickelig. Man musste am Profil-Ordner rumbasteln. Weiß leider nicht mehr wie ich das hinbekommen habe,

Vielleicht ist es hier ja etwas Ähnliches. Blicke jedenfalls nicht mehr durch.

Schönen Sonntag noch. Übrigens es hat aufgehört zu regnen.

Date: February 01, 2004 03:16PM

Hi Norbert success and failue. k-m installed with my friend. xp is on partiton d: there,
I got mail that k-m works, maybe we could compare the settings somhow? greetings

Date: February 01, 2004 05:34PM

Hi Guenter,

I have experimented a little bit. So I deleted my "restricted" user and installed a new one. First with full administrator rights then with restricted rights. This shows me that k-melon doesn't work correctly when it is running not with the main user but with a second user on my PC. The option "restricted" or "full administrator rights" is not the reason for the difficulties. I guess it's something with the place of installation in my case it's documents andsettings\all users.

Greetings from Norddeutschland
Norbert

Date: February 01, 2004 06:27PM

Hi Norbert,
No I never give up, not on this because - we are not trying to find this out for one time only, me at least.

I found out in the Wiki and reading in the forum:
(there is time enough on a rainy sunday when You are on a d-sl flatratewinking smiley

it was right to switch out the loader: it is a known issue,

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/manual/advanced-usage.html#LOADER-ISSUES

the loader and k-m must be completly shut off (for the changes to stay.)

You got Thunderbird working. // I am using it too / he he/ its good.
The difference between the twos configuration is where they store Your profile, right?
Thunderbird and almost all Gecko based browsers expect Your Profiles in path:
...documents\Settings\...
k-m expects Your Profiles normally in his own folder

../k-m/profiles/default/"arbitrary-some-name-here-with-me=26emwaln.slt"

I checked on my offline xp system they are at exactly the same place.
The k-m there is working so thats not a bad place to have a look at.
Could You look whether the files macros.cfg and menus.cfg are at that place?
If they are not locate them on hardisk and copy them there for a try./test.
else - If xp or k-m fault message indicate a path put the files into that position.
else - if try to copy the profile from where they are now to all users or the specific user than will use k-m.

The plug-ins You enumerated for me are all in the kplugin folder - at least they should be. They are his own plugins no Netcape common plugins.

Sure hope that this all is not due to an idisycracy of Your xp instal or a file brocken during download. And that we find the reason - for missbehaving k-m.
greetings

p.s . I kriege möglicherweise nachher noch mail, wo die auf dem deinen vergleichbaren xp system sind. Hoffe wir kriegen raus - was da schief lief, sonst haben wir nix daraus gelernt. habe zur abwechslung mal offline geschrieben, wenn du das jetzt auch schon gefunden hast - mein gott - weiß ich jetzt mehr, will nicht dumm sterben. gruss

Date: February 01, 2004 07:28PM

Hi Guenter,

I checked the place of macros.cfg, menus.cfg, the profile and the default folder:
all this files/folder are within the KM folder in D: Documents and settings\All Users. The first user (full administrator rights) has no problems with this program.
The second user (restricted rights but this doesn't matter) opens the program only
after I have confirmed that i want to load all the kplugins. Then I am informed that the menu is missing. After that KM opens but without the menu (FILE, EDIT, VIEW, GO, FAVORITES etc. don't occur.) .

I dont't understand why the loading of the cfg-files (I think they are the reason for the problems) only works for the first user but not for the second.

In the beginning this problem was the reason for installing KM for each user. This worked for a while (see my first posting) but for the second user it stopps the internet traffic.

Hope, my informations help to locate the problem more clearly.

Norbert

Das ist schon eine vertrackte Sache. Was dabei auch immer herauskommen mag,
ich möchte mich jetzt schon für deine Hilfe vielmals bedanken. Habe selten erlebt, dass sich jemand sosehr reingehängt hat. Ich hoffe, du hast ein bisschen was davon und hast deine Freunde nicht vergrault.

Wünsche dir noch einen schönen Wochenanfang.

Date: February 01, 2004 08:26PM

Hi Norbert,
Guess I have been searching in the wrong direction then.
We not any futher than knowing that everything was done right.
Windoff again. murr sad smiley(
Did You have a look whether 2nd user has got the right
to access all the necessary file and folders?
We will see how long the other similar install holds out.
if long...we compare the settings...else I do not know... or not Yet.
I will post here if I find out anything.
greetings

p.s. also alles richtig außer Windows. Wie sagt Windows, wenn was schief läuft,
rufen Sie den Admin. Das ist bereits geschehen. per mail. Ich habe geeignet nachgefragt, ob in so einem fall irgendwas bei der vergabe der benutzerrechte z. B. an dareien verstellt/beachtet werden muß.
wenn ich von meinem terrier was abgeguckt hab: beharlichkeit.
wollte meinen xp rechner irgendwann auch ans netz anschließen,
xp home aber config wie du.
also bin ich auch persönlich an der lösung interessiert.
meine mail addi kannst du aus dem fuss meines zweiten beitags raten.
oder poste hier, wenn du was findest. ich warte noch auf zwei mail antworten von freunden, die es eigentlich wissen müssen. aber die waren wohl am WE sumpfen, grinz. rechner in laatzen, da hab ich antwort, alles wie bei dir. na wenigsten haben wir keinen tag mit schönem wetter für dies hier verbracht. bis nächstes WE.
gruss

Date: February 03, 2004 08:15PM

IHi Norbert
was told that the easiest way is to install as a second administrator.
when k-m is installed and works - the second Administrator is reduced to user rights.
I am gieng to try that mit my second, my new machine.
any disadvantages known? If You hear someting, let me know.
greetings

Date: February 06, 2004 06:31PM

Hi Guenter,

Glad to read your posting. Couldn't answer immediately because I had a lot of work the last days. That's why I hadn't much time to worry about the computer problem.

But now the weekend is back again.....

You wrote something about a second administrator. I am sorry but I never have heard about this. I know that there are two possibilities to install an user under XP Home
(XP Professional is something different !!!):

1. User with full administrator rights.
2. user with restricted rights.

That's all (I know)

If I know more about this I let you know.

Bon weekend

Norbert

Date: February 06, 2004 07:45PM

Hi Norbert,
I asked a friend from Aachen with Your system xp pro by mail -
and translated his answer.
If my translation or his comment was not precise, I asume:

1. User with full administrator rights.

is applicable -> later these rights get restricted, are taken away.
greetings

p.s. so hat er es auf dem rechner meiner tochter unter win 2000 auch getan, meinte er in seiner mail noch.

Date: February 07, 2004 04:19PM

Hi guenter,

I am not totally sure but I think I have found a way to run KM under a user with restricted rights.

First I installed KM from the second user which I gave full adminstrator rights in "All User".
This worked. Then I gave the second user only restricted user rights. This workes until the first restart. After that, there was the old problem: KM didn't find the plugins.

Disappointed I gave KM a last chance: I installed it a second time, directly in the folder of the second user. I was very astonished to see that KM works without problems.

Don't understand it. Perhaps it has something to do with the Manage Profiles which are not available when it is not direktly installed in the folder of the user.

Rainy Greetings from Minden.
Norbert

P.S. Habe also KM jetzt 2x installiert: einmal unter All User's und dann im Ordner des 2. Benutzers.
Warum diese Konfiguration läuft, verstehe ich nicht so recht. Vielleicht hast du eine Idee.

Auf jeden Fall bin ich mit dieser Konfiguration wieder sehr nah an der Ausgangskonfiguration, bei der ich KM für jeden User separat installiert hatte. Dieses funktionierte anfänglich, bis dann das Laden von Seiten nach 2-3 Sekunden abgebrochen wurde.

Vielleicht lag dafür die Ursache nicht bei KM. Werde es jetzt erst mal bei dem belassen, wie es ist und schauen, wie es läuft. Ich denke, wenn es nach mehreren Tagen keine Probleme gibt, kann man davon ausgehen, dass es funzt. Werde mich dann noch mal wieder melden. Falls du etwas gefunden haben solltest,
was diese ganze Geschichte erhellt, lass noch mal von dir hören.

Vielleicht zum Schluss noch mal ein Hinweis: Die Rechteverwaltung von XP-Home und XP Pro ist NICHT identisch !!!! XP-Pro geht in diesem Punkt viel weiter als XP-Home.
Bei XP Home kannst du lediglich einstellen, ob ein USER als Administrator arbeiten darf oder nicht. Bis auf einigen "Schnickschnack" ist hier nicht mehr drin. Zumindest ist das, was ich darüber weiß.

Wie es bei Windows 2000 aussieht, weiß ich nicht. Ich denke aber, dass es in diesem Punkt eher XP Pro ähnelt, wo man USER-REchte sehr differenziert einstellen kann.

Noch mal vielen Dank für deine Mühe.

Date: February 07, 2004 04:59PM

Hi Norbert,
That is at least some success - maybe not ideal - but You "persuaded" th system.
greetings from Hannover, raining here too as You well know.

p.s. ich versuche rauszukriegen, warum das so ist - poste hier!
mühe, na du hattest mehr als ich - so weiß ich dann wenigstens schon vorher, was da kommt, wenn ich den schleptop ans net hänge. & pc = mein hobby. gruss

Date: February 11, 2004 05:12PM

Hi Norbert,
Someone from new Zealand has something as well, look into this thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=5288&t=5288
were "Overworked Admin" writes: "Fix: Write config data to the $USER/Application Data directory like Bill tells you to."

I only write this here to make sure that You find his post. forum is a little bigwinking smiley
greetings

p.s. Admin meint also, dass es so auch geht: man schreibe nur die configurations dateien an die von dir auch beschriebene/gefundene stelle. gruss

Date: February 12, 2004 03:28PM

Hi guenter,

thanks for your message. But i don't understand exactly what Overworked Admin
means by "Write config data to the $USER/Application".

I took the cfg data accel.cfg, macros.cfg and menus.cfg and copied this to my second user (with restricted rights). That doesn't work.

Salut
Norbert

P.S. Nachdem ich un zum 4. Mal K-M deinstalliert habe habe, leibe ich doch lieber bei meiner Lösung solange zumindest mir nicht klar ist, was dieser Mensch genau getan hat, um das Problem zu lösen.

Date: February 12, 2004 04:26PM

Hi Norbert,
IMHO You are right about Your solution beeing a sound & easy to use one.
greetings

ps: da ist mittlerweile noch was gepostet worden. das geht etwas weiter/besser.?
Admin meint scheibar: das du k-m woanders instalieren kannst, aber die dateien in denen er für seinen start schreiberlaubnis braucht, müssen in einem verzeichnis sein, für das der user schreibberechtigung hat, dahin soll der Pfad angepaßt werden.
Läuft IMHO auf die lösung hin, wie Mozilla und Thunderbird es machen - da könnte man sicher abgucken was genau geändert werden muß.

Der zweite beitrag deutet darauf hin, dass das oft mit progis aus dem heimbereich
vorkommt und kein k-m typisches problem ist, gut für mich - das er es geschrieben hat - weil dann bin ich jetzt etwas schlauer & vorgewarnt geworden.

Admin macht es (scheints) für ein wirkliches mehrbenutzersystem.
Er muss k-m also vielmals instalieren oder eine andere lösung nutzen.
Du willst nur aus sicherheitsgründen nicht als admin surfen.
Ob man sich das für deinem fall wirklich ausklamüsern muß? Eher nicht.
Platz ist doch wirklich genug auf neuen platen.
gruss

Date: February 12, 2004 07:04PM

Hi Guenter,

dies ist mein zweiter Anlauf einen Text im Forum zu veröffentlichen. Der Seitenaufbau, ist mal wieder so quälend langsam, dass ich schon nicht mehr weiß, ob die Seite nun gesendet wurde oder nicht. Diesmal hat es offensichtlich nicht geklappt, deswegen kommt jetzt auf die schnelle der zweite Text auf deutsch.

Also, dankke erst mal für den Zuspruch. Du hast das richtig in Erinnerung. Mir ging es darum mehr Sicherheit beim Surfen zu erreichen, indem ich KM unter dem eingeschränkten Nutzer installiere. Das bedeutet aber auch, dass ich z.B. den Cache auch auf der Systempartition habe und das finde ich wiederum nicht so toll. Ich muss mal probieren, ob ich den Cache, history auch auf eine andere Partition legen kann.

Habe mal in einem Forum, das sich auf Betriebssysteme spezialisiert hat, bezügl.
REchteverwaltung nachgefragt. Leider bin ich dan nicht weitergekommen, weil viele wohl doch XP Pro verwenden und da sieht es gaaaaaanz anders aus als bei
XP home, zumindest an der "Oberfläche". Aber wie heißt es so schön:
´weitersuchen und irgendwann fündig werden.

Gruß
Norbert

Date: February 12, 2004 08:24PM

Hi Norbert,
Many people have had great trubbel reaching forum.
I am sorry that Your English post was completely lost, due to those problems.
IMHO You should try to add a post to Eyes-Only´s thread about forum is slow.
greetings

p.s. xp home, soweit mir bekannt ist unter der oberfläche sehr schwer zugänglich mehr oder weniger das gleiche. Mit deinem abers, du hast recht: toll ist es nicht.
IMHO aber auch nicht sicherheitsrelevant.
Mit deiner letzten bemerkung hast du voll recht - was anderes bleibt ja garnicht.
Hauptsache es läuft so so la la - dann hat man erst mal luft zum suchen.
gruss

Date: February 14, 2004 08:46AM

Hi Guenter,

I have continued to experiment a little bit with the path of installation for two
KM's: one for the adminstrator, one for the restricted user .

The result show that it is very critical for XP Home !! when you don't install KM
under ALL USER for the administrator and under the second user with restricted
administrator rights. Other places e.g. "Program", other partition, directly under the
user with administrator rights) crashes XP !!!!

Salut
Norbert

Pconfused smiley. Also, wenn KM zweimal in einem XP-System installiert wird, muss man aufpassen, wo man installiert. Ansonsten geht das sonst so stabile XP in die Knie.
Die erste von mir gefundene Lösung scheint wirklich diejenige zu sein, bei der XP eine zweimalige Installation von KM verkraftet.
Der Aufruf der Forumsseite klappt wieder problemlos.

Habe hier

http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=8389

nachgefragt, ob es ein Sichherheitsgewinn ist mit eingeschränkten Rechten zu surfen . Die Antwort gibt einen Hinweis darauf, dass da was dran zu sein scheint. Genaueres war leider nicht drin. Werde weiter suchen.

Date: February 14, 2004 07:19PM

Hi Norbert,
perhaps we should ask Admin and his thread to make a detailed description of how to:...
because they seem to know more, and the question will arise again, as soon as people that have just bought their first computers (which has xp nowdays) come to forum and ask: how too:...
greetings

p.s. Ich denke - ich spreche mal auf Deutsch aus, was dir schon bekannt ist,
denn es war ja dein bewegrund K-M so instalieren zu wollen (sicher ist sicher).
Sicherheitsgewinn? - ja immer, es gibt zwar gegenwärtig keine bekannten sicherheit-schwachstellen in der gecko maschine, die auch k-m gebraucht, die letzte war zur Zeit von Mozilla 0.9.7 &das ist lange her, siehe heise.de,

..aber: bringt ein hacker (wie auch immer) ein program unter kontrolle, hast er die rechte, die derjenige hat, dem das program gehört, der die Nutzungsrechte hat.
Hast er ein program gehackt, das Admin gehört, hast er Admins Rechte.
Ergo nimmt man niemals Admins browser - um ins net zu gehen usw..
- als Admin logt man nur ein, wenn man an System Einstellugen arbeitet, (nie fürs ins i-net gehen und selten zum normal arbeiten) das ist sicherer so, dadurch kann man auch nix aus versehen verstellen.

Ob die jetzt von dir gewählte instalationsmethode lücken hat, weiß ich nicht sicher - ich denke aber, dass es keine gibt:
- solange k-m keine sicherheitslücken hat, ist sie auf jeden fall sicher!
Also ruhig ab und zu bei heise.de browsercheck reinschauen.

Wenn hier im Forum über Bugs gesprochen wird, sind das kleine fehlerchen - & keine MSIEbugs - groß wie scheunentore.
Nimm mal nen MSIE und geh als Admin zu dem browsercheck bei heise.de.
Als Admin brauchst du nur bestätigen, dann instalieren sie dir ne EXE!!!!!!
Die einzige wahrnung, die ich kriegte war, das Zonealarm nach MS hta maschine fragte - ob die darf? Mach das selbe als user, da sollte eigentlich nicht viel geschehen. Wenn doch, naja wir wissen - warum wir MSIE fast nicht nehmen;
Oder ist es bei dir anders? würde mich wundern winking smiley ? gruss

Date: February 15, 2004 12:43PM

Hi Guenter,

thank your for your very good explanation of the difference between administrator and normal user rights. This confirms that is better to use the restricted user when going into the internet with a browser. I think the security of a browser is another problem which is more specific to the browser program than to the OS. But in this point I'm not very well informed. I know that the IE is a security risk. That's one reason for using KM. Another reason is the speed. A third reason is that KM has not an inventar of features I don't need for exemple E-Mail prog etc. I never had a browser which opened pages with such speed. For me there is only one reason to take the IE: it's for the updates of the OS, that's all. Before KM I used firebird. But firebird was in spite of pipelining and other ways of otimizing sometimes slower than the old IE.

Nevertheless I will have a look on firefox. I will report of this if you are interested.

Schönen Sonntag
Norbert

P.S.: Ich denke nicht, dass Firefox KM im Hinblick auf Geschwindigkeit beim Seitenaufruf schlagen wird. Könnte mir also fast das herumprobieren ersparen.
Aber manchmal sucht man nur nach Bestätigung dafür, dass man bereits das Richtige bzw. den richtigen Browser gewählt hat.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.