General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
"configuration" does no longer appear as menu
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: January 14, 2016 11:57AM

When clicking onto the "menu"-button (the grey gear-wheel), the "configuration" does no longer appear as sub-menu (for editing configuration files as toolbars etc.)

Where is that setting to make that appear again as menu?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "configuration" does no longer appear as menu
Date: May 10, 2016 06:50PM

Problem is persisting ... KM 75.1 installed (not portable); when choosing "configuration" in the menu, the web-address "about:config" is openened where I am warned that malconfiguration will eat my disk for breakfast* ... winking smiley

* sorry, that expression was not in KM, but in SEdit on the old MacOS (before X) ... grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 10:19AM by Voltaire.

Posted by: anontemp123
Date: May 11, 2016 04:47AM

What are you clicking in the Configuration sub-menu?

Date: May 11, 2016 08:45AM

I want to edit Toolbars!

Btw.: in 75.0 (that I just have aside): "configuration" opens a submenu with following lines (and IIRC it was also available in 75.1):

---
Browser Configuration
User Settings
---
User-Defined StyleSheet
Ad-Blocking StyleSheet
Toolbars
Menu Icons
---
Accelerators
Macros
User-Defined Macros
Menus
Command List
---
Profile Directory
---

Now "configuration" is no menu, and a click on it opens a new webpage "about:config" (with mentioned warning).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 10:22AM by Voltaire.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 11, 2016 09:04PM

Menu probs can have all sorts of reasons, mostly macros/extensions/addons or user configs, but hard to tell anything from a distance. Perhaps the error console gives a hint, but for menus rather rarely.
Try replacing the menus.cfg with an original one or something like that, or disabling extensions one by one for testing.
Test what happens with a new (additional) profile.
Is that menu only broken in the compact menu or also in the normal Main menu?

If all you want is to edit a config file, just open it in a file explorer.

Wait.. you said you're configuring buttons? That rings a bell, check if now you have a menu or button action accidentally DOUBLE defined in the toolbars? But they are also created by macros, so both methods must be considered.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 09:16PM by siria.

Posted by: foliator
Date: May 11, 2016 10:38PM

This brings up something I've always noticed in KM: The terms "configuration" and "preferences" can be confusing. I'm now using a modified compact menu, but if I remember correctly, the window opened by F2 is "Preferences". "Configuration" seems to suggest about:config. Not only that, but there's also the about:preferences page, to which I've assigned Ctrl Enter.

The bottom of my revised compact menu now lists "about:config" and "about:preferences". The menu item for the F2 function is now called "K-Meleon Options Dialog" (I've also assigned Ctrl K to that).

As for accel.cfg, menus.cfg and toolbars.cfg, I removed access to them from the compact menu, since I always open them through my file manager by association.

Actually, there are four different words that could cause confusion: Preferences, configuration, options and settings. A new user might not know which one is which. winking smiley

---
Gerry

Date: May 12, 2016 11:48AM

siria
Wait.. you said you're configuring buttons? That rings a bell, check if now you have a menu or button action accidentally DOUBLE defined in the toolbars? But they are also created by macros, so both methods must be considered.
Yep ... that's where the source of the problem could be: I edited the toolbars.cfg in the way that I have splitted the privacy bar into three separate bars:
- the "privacy bar" itself (I don't like that name) having all the toggle on/off settings (colors, images, animation, javascript, js-page, cookies, popups, java, referer, useragent, proxy)
- a separate "clear bar" (clear cache, clear cookies, clear history, clear passwords, clear url-bar, clear all)
- and a separate "kill bar" (kill flash, kill applets)
so that I can toggle on/off the bars separately
btw: all toggle items have an appropriate icon: privacy (all: green tick/red minus), clear (all: pda-like symbol), kill (kill flash the striked through f, and kill applets again the pda-like symbol).

It really can be that some syntax was not correctly set so that the "configuration" lost it's sub-menu function ...

Posted by: siria
Date: May 13, 2016 07:11PM

A simple way to test what file may be the culprit is just replacing them one by one with an original file again. And keeping an eye on the error console as usual.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.