General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
IMSLP site crashes KM
Posted by: foliator
Date: January 17, 2016 11:40PM

The site imslp.org, which contains a library of downloadable music scores, crashes my KM75 soon after it has finished loading. If it doesn't crash immediately, scrolling down the page will usually do it, or trying to close its tab. This does not occur in my very old version of Firefox (15.0.1) or in Internet Explorer 9.

So far this is the only site that has ever crashed KM for me. The site has recently been updated to add membership nags, so it looks like one of their scripts is causing a conflict. I blame the site, not KM, but maybe someone else could try it and let me know what happens.

---
Gerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IMSLP site crashes KM
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 18, 2016 12:59PM

I went to the site, imslp.org, and looked for an author using KM76 beta 3. I had no crash. I did allow Javascript, but I don't know if the choices that I made would have run whatever script seems to cause you trouble.

Date: January 18, 2016 03:24PM

JamesD
I went to the site, imslp.org, and looked for an author using KM76 beta 3. I had no crash. I did allow Javascript, but I don't know if the choices that I made would have run whatever script seems to cause you trouble.

Thanks. I tried going there with no privacy restrictions whatever, but apparently that's not where the trouble lies. I'm still using KM75, having customized it so much that I hesitate to upgrade it. Besides, that's the only site that doesn't work for me in KM.

At first I was able to get as far as downloading a score. My SumatraPDF browser plugin opened it in a new browser tab, and just as I was about to save it, KM crashed and I lost the download. At first I thought the plugin was at fault, so I eliminated it and let KM open the file in Sumatra by association. KM still crashed, and the temporary file created by the download was lost, too.

After all this, I'm still inclined to blame IMSLP. I had visited their site with KM75 countless times with no problems at all until they added that membership drive.

---
Gerry

Date: January 18, 2016 05:02PM

You are definitely correct. I used my old KM 75 and the crash occurred before I did anything other than start to scroll.

I am going to check 75.1 next to see if that version works.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 18, 2016 05:12PM

But what page does exactly crash for you, guys?

I'm using 75.0 and when I went this night the front page didn't crash at all.

Now I tested even trying to download a PDF (what is not possible as I need to register first) and all the way browsing was OK.

Unless you specify more exact procedures, with a fresh profile, just open the front page and scroll does nothing :-?

Date: January 18, 2016 05:18PM

@ JohnHell

I just used KM 75 with js disabled and was able to download a file. I think a script on the site is too much for the js that was in KM75.

foliator and I both have customized profiles - not fresh.

@ foliator

How much functionality do you lose if you go the site without js?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 05:21PM by JamesD.

Date: January 18, 2016 05:48PM

@JohnHell: You don't need to register to download, but there's a timed delay; I think it's about 20 seconds. When you download, there will always be a disclaimer about copyright, but you can choose to continue.

Oddly enough, when I tried the site with IE9 it skipped that timer altogether and downloaded just as easily as it did before the site update!

Then there's the fact that my Firefox is now about three years out of date, and my copy of IE is very old, too. So, putting two and two together -- which sometimes seems to yield five these days, due to my lack of programming knowledge grinning smiley -- I suspect that the offending script is not fully supported by older browsers. In fact, IE skips the script altogether. KM uses newer components, definitely the version of Gecko, and probably whatever handles JavaScript. For example, mozjs.dll in FF is now about 3 years old, whereas the same file in KM75 is less than a year old (also somewhat larger).

I haven't had a chance to test the site without JS, but I'll do that shortly and report what happens.

---
Gerry

Date: January 18, 2016 05:50PM

JamesD
@ foliator

How much functionality do you lose if you go the site without js?

I'm just about to try that, and will get back to you shortly.

Update: OK, just tried it. No crashes, and I get as far as the download request, which brings up the usual copyright disclaimer. However, when I click the link to accept the disclaimer and continue past that page, it simply reloads the same page, rather than proceeding with the download. So without JS, all I can do is browse the site.

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 05:59PM by foliator.

Date: January 18, 2016 06:18PM

Ok, it is a domain name I block. Sometimes I forgot it grinning smiley

You should check which block works for you:

edge.quantserve.com

www.google-analytics.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 06:18PM by JohnHell.

Date: January 18, 2016 06:28PM

Ok, it is www.google-analytics.com but it is interesting that only fails on that page :-?

By the way, one way or another, being you I will block permanently (ok, I already do, but you understand me).

Date: January 18, 2016 06:49PM

JohnHell
Ok, it is www.google-analytics.com but it is interesting that only fails on that page :-?

By the way, one way or another, being you I will block permanently (ok, I already do, but you understand me).

Yes, thanks, that solves the problem! :cool: There's still that timed delay, but no crashes. Websites were always accessing Google Analytics, despite the fact that I had blocked it a long time ago in my Windows hosts file. It had never crashed my browser before, anyway, so I wasn't too worried about it. Thank goodness for KM's permissions dialog!

PS: At this point I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of that hosts file. Is it supposed to affect all browsers?

---
Gerry

Date: January 18, 2016 07:10PM

Where did you block? Even I haven't explained (yeah, sorry) I pretended to say hosts file.

It is effective as far as you write the correct domain name.

If you place an entry like "127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com" it will affect any application that uses domain name resolution on your system, as, when looking for it, it will be replied to contact to 127.0.0.1, where it is nothing, unless you have a web server at localhost (127.0.0.1) and a path like the one it is being requested.

In k-meleon permissions you could block the scripts comming from www.google-analytics.com domain (Tools menu).

Date: January 18, 2016 07:52PM

JohnHell
Where did you block? Even I haven't explained (yeah, sorry) I pretended to say hosts file.

It is effective as far as you write the correct domain name.

If you place an entry like "127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com" it will affect any application that uses domain name resolution on your system, as, when looking for it, it will be replied to contact to 127.0.0.1, where it is nothing, unless you have a web server at localhost (127.0.0.1) and a path like the one it is being requested.

That's exactly what I've had in the hosts file for a couple of years now, but it has never worked.

In k-meleon permissions you could block the scripts comming from www.google-analytics.com domain (Tools menu).

Yes, and that works fine. In fact, it seems to be speeding up many of my other sites, since most of them use the Google Analytics service for tracking visitors.

---
Gerry

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.