General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Help! KMExtenion Manager
Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: June 23, 2013 11:58AM

This morning I attempted to run the extension manager and it was blocked by Avast as a potential threat. A check with VirusTotal and there are 4 threat alerts being shown for (kmextman). Could someone please verify this, thank you. In the mean time I can no run the extension manager even though I've added it to the exclusion list. I know I can manually install, but I've been using this ext, like, forever, and now it's a threat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! KMExtenion Manager
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 23, 2013 12:34PM

A very long known false positive. There is even a sticky about it: False positives in au3 extensions

The question is not why did it raise alarm but why did not it raise alarm before?

The Extension Manager is coded with tools (AFAIK Auto It) that can be used for bad things also.
Anti Virus Softwares do not like these compiled Auto IT codes.

Make sure that nothing has been changed by a new threat - that is all.

How?

Re-install or just compare a copy of the Extension Manager from a known good source.
If the alarm is the same & the sizes of the files - it is ok.

p.s. Maybe keep a spare to compare at Your PC in the future.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 06:10PM by guenter.

Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: June 23, 2013 01:08PM

Thanks for the reply. No nothing has changed, it is the same one I've been using for a number of years. Just odd that it would have an alert now. I submitted it as a false positive to Avast, so I'll see what, if any, action will be taken. Thanks again for the reply.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 23, 2013 06:16PM

Not worth while for them to include. They cannot include all exceptions IMHO anyway.

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 24, 2013 04:10AM

@ Zoohooter

Avast! does this to me a occasionally, mostly since I began using Windows 8 64-bit. The extension manager is safe. When this happens to me I just close the warning using the Close "X" button or disable Avast! while installing.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.