General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Page display problem
Posted by: caktus
Date: July 23, 2013 05:39PM

When I go to http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/18/stateline-immigration-financial-aid/2551653/
the page seems to open normally for a second, turns gray, then completely black leaving only some non-functional menus at the top of the page. In IE the page opens normally. Might any one know what may be causing this?

It seems more and more, KM is not working right, perhaps because I am now using Windows 8. When I was using Windows XP the KM browsers were the best game in town. Because I am now using a broad band connection sending a page to IE only takes a second but I prefer to use KM because I can pretty much customize it the way a want. I have tried the KM 6, 7 and Twin and I had even more serious problems with them, both while customized and default installations. I would love to use 6 or 7, or better yet Twin but as far as I know the development of these versions are still dead in the water. I hope KM has not become a dead breed.

I am using KM 1.5.4 on a 64-bit machine with Windows 8 and Classic Shell installed.

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Page display problem
Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 23, 2013 11:02PM

Charlie,

The display engines in KM (all versions) are getting old and out of date. Some new HTML code in some webpages is just not understood by the old engines.

I did get the page to display almost correctly in 1.6.0 beta 2.6 and 1.7, but you said you had tried and had problems with them.

Like you, I am finding that I have to use "Send Link to" for 1.7 and IE more and more often.

Did you try the 1.6.0 beta 2.6 version of KM? I think it is pretty stable. At least it is stable until I try a webpage using a lot of new HTML 5 tags.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 24, 2013 03:53PM

It's all OK with 1.6 from Twin.

You glitches with major KM's are only marks of your system problems.

Date: July 24, 2013 06:13PM

@ rodocop

Do you have any idea what kind of system problems might be the culprit?

Thanks

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 06:21PM by caktus.

Posted by: deadlock
Date: July 24, 2013 07:43PM

@cactus
Try different KM configurations in different folders.
Is there a listing of your hardware and installed software?
Memory settings in KM and Windows are also important.

Looks like this in my browser.

Date: July 24, 2013 10:05PM

@ caktus

Now that Deadlock posted, I realized why my 1.6 beta 2.6 looked a bit off. I have bad eyes and I have each page automatically zoom the text. The menu on that website begins to wrap because of the larger text.

We just need to find out why your setup has a problem with KM 1.6 and later versions. If you are using Win 8, I suspect you have all the memory that you need. Win 8 is a 64 bit system. Does anyone know if Charlie needs to extract his KM to a special folder or compatibility area? My Win 7 is 32 bit so I don't need anything special.

KM 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 can be found here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot6_en-US.7z

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: July 25, 2013 01:45AM

Thanks, Guy's.

I've got KM 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 installed now and so far so good. I haven't done much surfing with it yet, just began customizing.

This 64-bit machine and 64 bit Windows 8 OS is definitely a different breed than what I'be been used to. As far as memory, it has 6 GIG. I understand it will recognise 16 GIG but 6 is probably more than enough for my needs. It seems I read somewhere that such configurarion could handle up to 64 GIG of mem:s It's 3.3 GH processor is probably more than I need as well.

While at crucial.com, I occasionally get this error:
"The page at http://www.crucial.com says:
eStata; parameter accountid missing for lr.php, fix your script to contain it."
I'm not sure what it means but it doesn't seem to present a problem.

While working with KM 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 I've been learning how to use Bookmarks for the first time. So far, it seems to destroy my need for the "File all tabs" macro.

Charlie

Date: July 25, 2013 11:54AM

Charlie

I think the php error is in a script on the website. Not your problem.

I hope the bookmarks work for you. I use favorites and fully confess that I do not understand bookmarks.

JamesD

Date: July 25, 2013 02:50PM

JamesD
Charlie

I think the php error is in a script on the website. Not your problem.

I hope the bookmarks work for you. I use favorites and fully confess that I do not understand bookmarks.

When I right click on the Bookmarks button or left click on it's Menu clicking Add Page saves the page much the same as Save As but with it's remote URL. And double clicking on a svaed paged opens the page.

Clicking on Bookmarks>Edit and Right clicking on the "Folder--" you can create an new folder but I havn't yet learned how to populate it.

It's seems much like Fav's on stetpids Apparenently you can even add the Fav's folder to it, I just can't remember how I accomplished it. I find the instructions a bit confusing but I guess it gives we something to busy myself for a spell.

Any way, 1.6.0 beta 2.6 seems to working out great.

Charlie

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.