General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Agent override and changing screen resolution
Date: February 11, 2016 02:02AM

Is there any way to change the screen resolution in K-Meleon? In Chrome, you can use the developer's tools to make the resolution larger than that of your computer so I would like to know if it's possible to do the same with K-Meleon? The most my netbook can do is 1024x600.

Also, is it possible to get a site that requires the newest version of Firefox to recognize K-Meleon as that newer version? I know that you can use an user agent override to do that with older versions of Firefox but I don't know if it's possible for this browser.

p.s. I'm not the most computer savvy person so please bear with me if I don't understand something.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Agent override and changing screen resolution
Posted by: siria
Date: February 11, 2016 02:17AM

Go to page "about:config" and filter for the hidden setting
layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
It's not about setting a specific screen resolution, but it does zoom the resolution by changing the dpi-value of your screen. As result the servers get reported a different screen size.

-1 = automatic = the zoom you have set for your general windows system (font size dpi)
1 = normal = 1:1
Try perhaps 0.8 or 1.2... just trial and error.

KM did have a real useragent macro until version KM1.7, which in theory still works, but don't know myself.
You can download KM1.6 from the download page and copy over the old useragent.kmm into the new macros folder. The only prob is that it also needs some settings, those are stored in a different file, getting a bit complicated to describe.
As a quick test you could go to about:config again and filter for "general.useragent.override"
If that doesn't exist, right-click and create it with the STRING type.
Fill in a modern UA string for Firefox and try such a website with it...

Date: February 11, 2016 02:21AM

Thank you, siria. smiling smiley I'll tinker around to see how things go. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to work.

EDIT: I got it to work! Yay!!! Thank you so much!

I changed the zoom to 0.8 and as for the user string, I created one and used this site that contains strings for each version of K-Meleon and now it works!

I used to be a Firefox user but lately, it's become a big CPU and memory hog along with Chrome so I'm glad that there are simple browsers like K-meleon around. My netbook isn't pushed to the limit when I use K-meleon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 02:34AM by Minty-Goodness.

Date: February 11, 2016 02:42AM

Now this pops up.

I updated it but it still isn't being recognized. Why could that be? What can I do to get the site to recognize it?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 11, 2016 02:56AM

What does K-Meleon report as your flash? Use Help > About Plugins. My KM reports this:
File: NPSWF32_20_0_0_306.dll
Path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_20_0_0_306.dll
Version: 20.0.0.306
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0

If you do not have this then you are not up to date. Go to the following site but make sure your user agent is FF compatible when you go there.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Are you using Flashblock?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 02:57AM by JamesD.

Date: February 11, 2016 03:09AM

Hi James,

I did check and I know that my Shockwave Flash is 20.0 just like yours but as for the rest of the information you provided, I'll have to check it again once I'm back at my netbook. Also, I'm not using flash block but I'll check again, just in case.

This is the user agent I used. I'm assuming that it is FF compatible because when I tried to get onto the site in question prior to adding the new user agent, I got a message saying that I was using an older version of FF and that I needed to upgrade it.

EDIT: I found the problem. It was disabled so I enabled it and now it works. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 03:40AM by Minty-Goodness.

Date: February 11, 2016 04:27AM

Hmmm... interesting. On one of the pages that you start off on, everything is visible yet on the rest of the site, part of the bottom is cut off and there's no vertical scroll bar. I tinkered around with the values but for some reason, I can't get some of the bottom screen to show even when I use the zoom feature.

I forgot to add in my original post that the site I'm trying to get onto uses 1024x768.

EDIT: I found out how to change my netbook's resolution by going into the registry. I now currently have it set to 1024x768.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 05:35AM by Minty-Goodness.

Posted by: foliator
Date: February 11, 2016 10:45PM

Minty-Goodness
I found out how to change my netbook's resolution by going into the registry. I now currently have it set to 1024x768.

I also have a netbook with 1024x600 and am always running short of vertical space, so I'm wondering what registry key you used for changing the resolution to 1024x768. Also, what effect did it have on other applications, not to mention the appearance of Windows itself? I would imagine that it would leave a left and right margin, as well as shrink things a bit to fit everything on the screen.

---
Gerry

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 11, 2016 11:32PM

Alternatively, use control+mouse wheel, if yours has, to change page zoom.

That tells a page how wide and tall (zooming out) is your browser viewport, without changing the screen pixels dimensions.

Note that, in this case, you'll need to zoom in the text or it could become so tiny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 11:32PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 11, 2016 11:33PM

foliator
Minty-Goodness
I found out how to change my netbook's resolution by going into the registry. I now currently have it set to 1024x768.

I also have a netbook with 1024x600 and am always running short of vertical space, so I'm wondering what registry key you used for changing the resolution to 1024x768. Also, what effect did it have on other applications, not to mention the appearance of Windows itself? I would imagine that it would leave a left and right margin, as well as shrink things a bit to fit everything on the screen.

I haven't really tested it on other applications. I only use it for one site I go onto that requires a larger resolution. After that, I put it back onto 1024x600.

There are no left or right margins but everything does look a bit more smaller but it's nothing to complain about. At least not for me at any rate. smiling smiley

Here's the link on how to change the registry. Go to page 2 for the full instructions. smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2016 12:44AM

@Minty-Goodness: Thanks for the info. My netbook offers only one other resolution: 800x600, which is too small for most of what I do. If I hack the registry and try 1024x768, this would add more room at the top and bottom of the screen, but that would have to make the contents smaller in order to fit the screen. The horizontal width would need to change proportionately. It might help with some programs that are designed specifically for 1024x768, but would likely mess up the configuration of other apps, so I won't bother trying.

---
Gerry

Date: February 12, 2016 12:55AM

JohnHell
Alternatively, use control+mouse wheel, if yours has, to change page zoom.

That tells a page how wide and tall (zooming out) is your browser viewport, without changing the screen pixels dimensions.

Note that, in this case, you'll need to zoom in the text or it could become so tiny.

Mine can do that, but I use a touchpad and it's done by dragging up and down with two fingers while holding the Ctrl key. Unfortunately, it often happened accidentally and zoomed the icons on my desktop, which screwed up the arrangement of the icons so that I had to keep reshuffling them. My touchpad (in a wireless keyboard) has no option for preventing that, and it got to be so annoying that I disabled Ctrl+Mousewheel zoom by installing a little utility based on AutoHotKey. If I need to zoom in a browser there's always Ctrl Plus and Ctrl Minus.

---
Gerry

Date: February 12, 2016 02:40AM

foliator
@Minty-Goodness: Thanks for the info. My netbook offers only one other resolution: 800x600, which is too small for most of what I do. If I hack the registry and try 1024x768, this would add more room at the top and bottom of the screen, but that would have to make the contents smaller in order to fit the screen. The horizontal width would need to change proportionately. It might help with some programs that are designed specifically for 1024x768, but would likely mess up the configuration of other apps, so I won't bother trying.

Mine is the same. It was either 800x600 or 1024x600. With the change, I can now set it at 1024x768 or 1152x864. Everything does look smaller and sometimes, fonts look slightly blurred but you can still easily read it. For what I use it for, it's not a problem but if you use a lot of different apps or programs, it might not be to your liking.

If you do ever change your mind and give the edit a try, I just want to tell you to change the resolution through Graphics Properties rather than through the Control panel. I find when I use the Control panel to change it, the screen doesn't look as bright as before whereas when I go into Graphics Properties, it's fine.

Date: February 12, 2016 05:01PM

Minty-Goodness
If you do ever change your mind and give the edit a try, I just want to tell you to change the resolution through Graphics Properties rather than through the Control panel. I find when I use the Control panel to change it, the screen doesn't look as bright as before whereas when I go into Graphics Properties, it's fine.

I've also noticed that Graphics Properties allows a choice between fullscreen (no border), center image and maintain aspect ratio. The app which gives me the biggest problem with vertical space is my music composition software, which is designed specifically for 1024x768, the old standard 4:3 ratio. Even the latest version uses that, ignoring the fact that most newer computers have wider screen formats. It causes various dialog boxes in the program to extend beyond the screen borders. In the case of small boxes, they often pop up half hidden in the lower right corner and have to be dragged into place. I've used the program so often, however, that I've learned to put up with that behavior.

---
Gerry

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 12, 2016 09:26PM

Minty-Goodness
Here's the link on how to change the registry. Go to page 2 for the full instructions. smiling smiley

My 2 cents in addition to the linked advice:

you'd better also change 2 more parameters from 0 to 1:
Display1_DisableSdvoCrtEdidRead
and
Display1_EnableDynamicScaling
(and don't forget about Display1_DownScalingSupported, sure )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 09:28PM by rodocop.

Date: February 12, 2016 10:38PM

rodocop
Minty-Goodness

My 2 cents in addition to the linked advice:

you'd better also change 2 more parameters from 0 to 1:
Display1_DisableSdvoCrtEdidRead
and
Display1_EnableDynamicScaling
(and don't forget about Display1_DownScalingSupported, sure )

Thanks for the tip. smiling smiley What do the other two do exactly? I've only done what is in the link and everything seems to be working fine for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 10:40PM by Minty-Goodness.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.