General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Error on every open of k meleon
Posted by: w
Date: February 20, 2016 05:58AM

Every time I try to open kmeleon 75.1 I get an error message. How can i fix or remove: Importing sessions from your previous installation has failed! Also is there an explanation for all the error messages used in K meleon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Error on every open of k meleon
Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 20, 2016 04:02PM

Have you recently changed the location where your K-Meleon is installed?

Perhaps you may have changed the location of your profile. I don't remember any question like yours before, but I have a bad record when it comes to remembering.

You might try a search on the forum for the error text and use all dates.

Re: Error on every open of k meleon (importing sessions failed)
Posted by: siria
Date: February 20, 2016 05:01PM

Can't remember such a thing either:
"Importing sessions from your previous installation has failed"

Do you need to keep your old imported sessions or can they all be deleted?

Anyway, if no one with more knowledge is currently here, this is what I'd try to circle the prob closer:
- make a backup copy of your profile folder (Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory) and keep it in a safe place!

- open page "about:config" and search for the "sessions" prefs, just to see if something looks suspicious there (I have about ten prefs for sessions, nothing that sounds like import-fail-related, but if you have, right-click and change it, restart)

- Or in current profile folder, try if it helps to delete/rename the new-KM-version "sessions..." files and start again (that means losing the imported or new sessions of course, but you have the backup). You can also look inside those files with a text editor like notepad++

- if error still there, the prob is in the prefs.js file, where the old-KM sessions were stored, along with lots of other user settings. Perhaps one of the stored titles contains a problematic character or something?
Open prefs.js in a text editor like notepad and (just for testing) delete all lines starting with
kmeleon.plugins.sessions2....
If after restart the error is now gone, but you need to rescue your old sessions, try to figure out which of the stored pages may be the culprit. COPY back the original prefs.js file, open it in editor and now delete only this line that lists the session names:
kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.list
If after restart there's still no error, this name list can be used for further tests to see which of the sessions may be a prob...

Sorry this sounds all awfully complicated, just blind trial-and-error tests :-/

Re: Error on every open of k meleon (importing sessions failed)
Posted by: w
Date: February 23, 2016 04:52PM

Thanks for the ideas. I tried renaming a sesions checkpoint file in profiles and I reset to the default setting all session entries in about.config. The error message upon trying to open k meleon is gone. If I had done one item at a time I might know better what the culprit was.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.